Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMWNA PreSale Order Program Open

BMWNA PreSale Order Program Open

BMWNA has sent to the dealers a K16GT/K16GTL pre-order program -- check your dealer or www.thefutureoftouring.com for details.

Basically, if you want one of the first K16's, and you're willing to accept fully-loaded bike, you can get in line. The only real choices are GT/GTL and color. No pricing yet (except the destination charge is $495). BMW promises some "behind the scenes" updates and a t-shirt for participating in the pre-order program.

Insert standard "I have no interest" disclaimer [HERE].
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Getting lost...
    Yeah, put me on the hook for an unknown amount of $$$$$$, not. I know you're really not obligated but still.

I like the bike but c'mon - they really seem full of themselves with this one.

This type of program exists for only 2 reasons
    1) Get a better idea of interest to gauge production (though at this stage supplier contracts for all components will exist with at least some minimums so the bits prices can be set)
    2) See how far pricing can be pushed. Obviously they are stalling to get some good reviews and to hedge any currency issues before setting pricing which looks pretty silly this late in the game. Yamaha announced the Tenere list price a long time ago and its not getting here any sooner.

I'm not expecting to see a lot of these on the road- like the wing or the LT, this is a special purpose bike. Were it lighter or sportier, it might get more spillover.

Podzo

Count me out

Wow, a free T-shirt!! You can bet I will not line up for laying down a down payment without knowing the price or preformance, weight, and some comparisons with other bikes like BMW's own LT and GT or even the RT.

Despite the possible weight issues, reliability issues etc etc, I want this bike. Got some lottery tickets for Christmas, need to turn in the small winners and try again. Either they will be all gone *(highly likely) or I will be ordering one. Otherwise, it will be a few years.

Come on lottery

Rod

"show me the money"...where have I heard that before ?
    Hard to expect anyone to jump up and down without knowledge of the $$$ involved !

That said the GT does look like a posible replacement for my RT...
    In the end, you will regret much more those things you didn't do, than those which you did.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwchromehead View Post
    Hard to expect anyone to jump up and down without knowledge of the $$$ involved !

Cuba Gooding Jr said it..

Not that hard...

BLASPHEMY
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

gadgetboy
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwchromehead View Post

You guys are under estimating the demand for this bike. The two dealers that I deal with in my area have sold out their allotment before the price was announced. Some GT's still available, but the first batch of GTL's are sold out.

The price in Canada has been set at CAD$24,100 for the GT and $27,225 for the GTL.

GTL options: Safety package: Tire pressure monitors, adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control, $100

Package 1: ESA II, alarm, central locking panniers, LED aux. driving lights, ground lighting. $1850.

Jack Herbst
    Iron Horse here in Tucson says $28,000-30,000. Do you really want to pay that much for a motorcycle?

A man's got to know his own limitations! (Clint Eastwood--Dirty Harry)

Jack

Yankee Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Iron Horse here in Tucson says $28,000-30,000. Do you really want to pay that much for a motorcycle?
    Yes.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    Yeah! There are always those who are willing to pay a premium for being among the first ones to be seen! It used to happen all the time with cars.
    The last crazy thing I personally remember was the 1990 Corvette ZR-1. Some ( I refrain from using adjectives) people paid up to $100,000.- for a car that had a MSRP of $60,500 I know of one guy who waited until April 1990 to get his and he paid $6,000.- under sticker. The dealer he got his from couldn't sell the 3rd and last car from his allocation and traded it to another dealer in Wisconsin.

Canadian Currency conversion

If $27,225 CAD is accurate for a GTL (Base?) That converts to $26,761 US at todays exchange rates. Add $1,385 for the premium package and you have around $28,100 plus shipping. Very competitive with a 2010 Gold Wing with promised substantial performance and technology advances! This would not be out of line with pricing strategy to capture market share of the luxury tourer segment and in fact, closely resembles BMW's statement in the pre-sales program announcement regarding pricing to be announced.

There was NO financial commitment at my dealer to participate in the pre-sales program. If I don't want to pay the eventual price, maybe I can sell my order position! (Just kidding)

well, i already told the kids,

"when i die, you ain't gettin' nothin!"
    i want them to be SAD at the funeral.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Pre-Ordered

Preordered a 1600GT at BMW Omaha. Around $25k, fully loaded. Should be there in May 2011. Oh the wait...
    Alain & Michele in Western Iowa
    '08 K1200GT(his) -- '09 Ducati Monster 696(hers)

Quote Originally Posted by zarinelli View Post
    Preordered a 1600GT at BMW Omaha. Around $25k, fully loaded. Should be there in May 2011. Oh the wait...
    Cool! What's the basis of the $25k number - dealer's guess, or something firmer? Thanks.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA