Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

criminaldesign
    Running with Scissors: Augusten Burroughs

A random pick off the friends bookshelf while in PGH.

Good story, burned right through it. Definitely a dark comedy memoir of the authors childhood, his nut of a mother and her psychologist who took over custody, the psychologists own ridiculously goofy family situation and the authors pedophile of a boyfriend. A story on manipulation and working with what you got.

First read of this author, I will read more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    I have been working my way through a series of books by Alexander McCall Smith that begins with The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency. This is definitely not typical detective genre material. It is set in Botswana and is more about life and the intricacies of how it is viewed from that setting.
    If you haven't already read it yet, you need to read "Corduroy Mansions" by Smith. I'm about half way through it and I have not stopped laughing yet. One of the characters is a bomb sniffing vegetarian Pimlico Terrier named Freddie de la Hay who insists on wearing a seatbelt. Freddie lost his job at the airport due to affirmative action - all the bomb sniffing dogs were male.

Smith has a gift for blending good storytelling and humor.

Easy

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. This is about realizing who we actually are.

how rome fell angelas ashes the girl with the dragon tattoo blood meridan I wish the snow would melt

"Even Silence Has An End", by Ingrid Bettencourt. Her true story of being held captive/hostage/political prisoner by the FARC in the Columbian jungle for over 6.5 yrs. If some of you have read the Vikings/Hegstad's book about his own experience, this is an even better read about a similar experience. One of the best stories of its kind that I've read!
    Also just finished Neil Pearts(Rush drummer and BMW rider) Ghost Rider story of his travels subsequent to losing his teen age daughter to an accident , then his wife to cancer, then his dog even dies-all inside 10 months! He starts riding to find "his baby soul" and the tale unfolds. Nice bike travel read and human insight story.

criminaldesign
    Earl Nightingale book. Good stuff, sure shows its age.

"Life on the Mississippi" by Mark Twain. Just got a Kindle, and it's one of the free downloadable books. It's surprisingly engaging, being partly autobiographical and partly fiction, written in Twain's unique style.
    Kevin W.
    '76 R90/6 (wei?ƒe kuh)
    '11 G650GS (Bill the Cat)
    Der Weg ist das Ziel!

"The Dirty Life" On Farming, Food, and Love: by Kristin Kimbal.

Very enjoyable. Great writer.

Mark

copandengr

Reading Now

"We All Hear Voices" by Sam Taggart, M.D. Sam is a friend of mine. We grew up in the very small town of Augusta, AR. The book is about a man who suffers from a rare condition called synethesia. This is a mental disorder where the person may smell colors, or associate different stimuli with totally different things. The lead character is a short order cook who creates wonderful dishes only if he hears or sees certain things. He is also a stock car racing fan and has irrestible impulses to watch all the races. I now my description may not sound very interesting but I'm not very good at writing book reports.

Growing up in Augusta I recognize many of the people in the book from my childhood. Sam has done a very good job integrating them in this book. It is available from Amazon and I can say it is worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    If you haven't already read it yet, you need to read "Corduroy Mansions" by Smith. I'm about half way through it and I have not stopped laughing yet. One of the characters is a bomb sniffing vegetarian Pimlico Terrier named Freddie de la Hay who insists on wearing a seatbelt. Freddie lost his job at the airport due to affirmative action - all the bomb sniffing dogs were male.

Smith has a gift for blending good storytelling and humor.

Easy
    He certainly does. He is originally from Zimbabwe. African literature has a strong story telling history that is very different from the staccato bare bones form so common now. It is also a oral tradition that enjoys humor very much. Thursday In the Company of Cheerful ladies arrived by inter library loan to finish out the detective series. I will have to have my A No.1 Librarian track down your suggestion when my stack is a bit smaller.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

I've been reading Smith's Isabel Dalhousie series (among other things), and have just finished #4, "The Careful Use of Compliments". I've also just read Grisham's "The Confession". Next up is "The Walk" by Richard Paul Evans.

this week:

Dracula
    Stephan Kings 'Dark tower' series
    Wizard of Oz

I love my Kindle....
    Too damn many bikes to list

In the past week, I have completed reading "In the Blink of an Eye" by Michael Waltrip and "North by Northwestern" by Capt Sig Hansen (Deadliest Catch).

Neither are what you would call life altering reads but they are entertaining.
    Robert
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250SEA
    ÔÇ£If you get in too far over your head, remember - full throttle and make it spectacular!ÔÇØ http://www.yearroundriders.com

GREGFUESS

Wealth and Democracy

by Kevin Phillips. Story of the sometimes indistinguishable tie between wealth and power in the USA. Kinda depressing. Anyone reading anything uplifting?

I should just go make some more popcorn. Can't get enough of that stuff!

criminaldesign
    The Bull From the Sea: Mary Renault

A bit of mish mash with Greek tales entwined with the authors story. Random pick off the shelf.