Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Ghost Rider: Travels on the healing road by Neil Peart (drummer for 'Rush') a moving Novel that traces Niel's travels around The Americas on his hex head after the untimely death of both his wife and daughter.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

I'm in the middle of: Lucille & the XXX Road, by Jim Oliver. He & I graduated from Topeka H.S.,class of 61. While we have lived far apart most of our lives , we both have been riders for a long time. Our 50th reunion gave us a chance to talk a lot and he sent me a copy of his book about his trip across Russia on his 1150GS-Lucille. He & a buddy went un-assisted across all of Siberia(unlike the two movie guys they had no nannies) and the rest of Russia in 2004. While not the best bike travel book I've read, I appreciate Jim's candor about himself & it makes for a good short, but interesting read & a chance to dream about a bike trip of your own .

Fields of Peace

Its a portrait of the Pennsylvania Germans, their history, customs and meeting challenges being Amish or Mennonite.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Peter_Krynicki
    Throw Them All Out by Peter Schweizer. Schweizer is a research fellow at Stanford U. and became interested in find out if an elected official's roles as members of committees which write laws put them into a position to benefit form this knowledge. The results were intresting.

From the review,

"This book is a manual on ways to give money legally to elected officials. The Pay-to-Play regime and the flow of insider information can be used by even the most novice traders using an online brokerage account. One big story is how Congressman Spensor Bachus used a private meeting with Fed Chair Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Paulson. Bachus was in the role of Ranking Member on the House Financial Services Committee. He used the dire information presented to him in this meeting to bet heavily that the market would go down, using leveraged trades. Bachus, working with Bernanke and Paulson from July 2008 to November 2008, scalped $50K out of the falling market. The book has lots of war stories like that."

The most freightening thing is that since these are the people who make the laws, all of this is completely legal.

One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey

by Sam Keith. The story of Dick Proenneke's cabin buiding adventure was taken from his journal notes, was also the basis for the documentary "Alone in the Wilderness," seen on PBS and available on DVD and video.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkyRider View Post
    U.C. Davis Pepper Spraying, an attack on all Americans.......

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2527...cans.htm?cid=2
    Not that I like what I saw but, I watched an interview of a student last night on TV who was giving another viewpoint as having witnessed that the officers were surrounded by the students and the "bad part" was a reaction to more than shows in the pepper spray scene itself.

Just started a Neil Peart book Travelling Music, very good so far and I have read 3 other books by him so I'm sure it will be a top 10.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Seeking Mental Floss
    "Buried Secrets" by Joseph Finder.

Seeking Mental Floss
    Studying to become a USGA golf rules official. Currently reading the Decisions On the Rules of Golf, 2012-2013. 599 pages of absolutely riveting dialog, designed for the insomniac. Highly recommended for the bedside.

Just finished the Hunger Games trilogy; I hope the movie isn't as gory. Before that, Auroa to Ariel - The Motorcycling Life of J. Graham Oates. - adventure touring in the good old days.

Rachel Maddow's "Drift."

Maphead by Ken Jennings.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Cowboyatheart
    Game of thrones
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Non Fiction - The Power of Habit , why we do what we do in life and business by Charles Duhigg

Fcition - The Lost Years by Mary Higgins Clark
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Wishin' and Hopin' - Wally Lamb, and

When God Was a Rabbit - Sarah Winman