Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Civil War Photos

Civil War Photos

Since these are photos, I thought posting them here would be best.

Check out the Civil War photos here.

http://www.mikelynaugh.com/VirtualCi...ls2/index.html

Granted, nothing compares to seeing something in person. I think it's pretty cool to see things as they were then, not how time has changed them over the last 150 years.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Unhappy

I try to visit Civil War Battlefields whenever I can. Matthew Brady took many battlefield photos but none have struck me more than the photo taken outside a Union Field Hospital, of a pile of mens limbs stacked like cordwood.
    Ride Safe

I get the oppurtunity to travel and have been to hundreds of Civil War sites. Been studying it for over 45 years. Those photo's really show the horror of that war.

GIZMO
    As a Civil War buff, former re-enactor and professional photographer, I appreciate you sharing these photos. Just amazing.

I've always been a huge Civil War buff. Years ago I used to subscribe to a Magazine called "Civil War Times" Does anyone know if its still published?
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

advrider.com
    Amazing.

We should strive to preserve what's left of our history and not tear down and replace something just because it's old. Imagine if the old buildings in our home-towns could talk..

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Amazing.

We should strive to preserve what's left of our history and not tear down and replace something just because it's old. Imagine if the old buildings in our home-towns could talk..
    That is one of the fascinating things about Europe, they keep stuff. Here we tear down 10 year old buildings to build new ones we will tear down in 10 years again.

I remember when Urban Renewal went through our town and tore down 80% of the buildings to replace then with a Mall, that is now mostly abandon of retail, and was taken over by the city to utilize the space as offices.

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    That is one of the fascinating things about Europe, they keep stuff. Here we tear down 10 year old buildings to build new ones we will tear down in 10 years again.

I remember when Urban Renewal went through our town and tore down 80% of the buildings to replace then with a Mall, that is now mostly abandon of retail, and was taken over by the city to utilize the space as offices.
    There was "one of the best preserved examples of a house of the 1860's" behind Home Depot that they tore down in 2005 to build a small strip mall with only one tenant. They already tore down the strip mall and built an Autozone. I guess someone's getting work, tearing down and building.. but damn!

I could go on and on about my county, (supposedly) the former fastest-growing county in the country.. and home of the first state capitol. Sweeping destruction!

hijack off.

GIZMO
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post

Doesn't make sense, but you are right and it is sad.

Itinerant Traveler
    I live in Orange County, Virginia, just a few miles from the Wilderness battlefield. We are fortunate to have so many Civil War sites in Virginia, though I'm sure the residents in the 1860s would have preferred the battles be elsewhere.

Some of us in Orange County have been fighting Walmart, which has received a special zoning exemption to build a supercenter across the street from part of the Wilderness battlefield. There are certainly other sites within a few miles that are more appropriate, but there you go. As others have said, it's a shame that we seem to value the remnants of our history so lightly in this country.
    Steve Anderson
    Locust Grove, Virginia
    2002 R1150GS

I'm a product of the Virginia school system and spent many a field trip visiting Civil War (better known as the War For States Rights or the War of Northern Aggression) memorials and battlefields. In the early 90s I was assigned to Fort Monroe Virginia and lived in the same quarters that Lieutenant Robert E. Lee was assigned to in the 1830s; Lee's first child was born in our bedroom. We lived across the street from the Case-mate Museum where Jefferson Davis was imprisoned for a year following the end of the war. One could spend a great summer just riding around Virginia and visiting the many Civil War battlefields.

Matthew Brady is often credited for taking many pictures that were really taken by Alexander Gardner who worked for Brady up until the middle of the war. Brady seldom visited the battlefields, but Gardner was often in the field and took the most famous of the pictures including the staged picture of the rebel sharpshooter at Gettysburg, portraits of Lincoln and the pictures of the assassination conspirators including their hanging.
    Last edited by AKBeemer; 12-17-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    About 50 years later, here is one that includes my Grandfather, at Fort Dix in WWI

http://www.easy-clan.com/ski/richard/Bubby%20.jpg

It is BIG

Thumbs up

pffog, Great photo. It took almost 40 years before CSA & UNION veterans met at Manassas and then agreed to meet later at Gettysburg. I recorded Ken Burns Civil War tv production and watch it at least every other year. I think that program is one of the best tv series ever made.
    Ride Safe

Itinerant Traveler
    Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    I've always been a huge Civil War buff. Years ago I used to subscribe to a Magazine called "Civil War Times" Does anyone know if its still published?
    It is, indeed. Check out: http://www.historynet.com/magazines/civil_war_times
    Steve Anderson
    Locust Grove, Virginia
    2002 R1150GS

Itinerant Traveler
    Previously, I posted:

Quote Originally Posted by stevebmw View Post
    Some of us in Orange County have been fighting Walmart, which has received a special zoning exemption to build a supercenter across the street from part of the Wilderness battlefield. There are certainly other sites within a few miles that are more appropriate, but there you go. As others have said, it's a shame that we seem to value the remnants of our history so lightly in this country.
    HUGE news today. As a trial started in district court about the way the board of supervisors rammed through this project, Walmart announced they were pulling the plug. They will purchase the land, preserve it rather than develop it, and find another site in the county. They will also reimburse the county for the costs of trial preparation, etc. I'm not a fan of Walmart generally, but I have to give them major props for biting the proverbial bullet and doing the magnanimous thing here. I just thought some of y'all would want to know...
    Steve Anderson
    Locust Grove, Virginia
    2002 R1150GS