Thread: Tow-Ster

Hybrid View

Tow-Ster

Anyone have experience with one of these?
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi/2005 DR200SE aka Pennsy
    Yorktown, Va

Yup.... I've owned one since 1974.... ..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Good one Lew!
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

i remember seeing these many years ago, but not such a nice design.

this would be ideal for taking your bike to the shop. it would be important to check the tongue weight rating of your hitch to make sure there aren't any -uh-oh's... but i doubt a bike would exceed the rating.

i've not used one, but it looks very well built.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

I am, if nothing else, a wise ass!!! In case you weren't absolutely sure.. ..

YouTube demo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z_yoVrGa0g

I think this Tow-ster thing would be great for short hauling, as mentioned, to the shop as long as it wasn't too far away... 20-30 miles maybe? In fact the video states that it is a piece of "emergency equipment".

I don't think it would be so good for hauling off on a five hundred mile trip. Arguably the two tires normally share the weight of the motorcycle, but loading up the back tire seems like it would be subjecting it to uneven wear (of the tire, and the mechanical components).

Another issue to consider (for long or short hauling) is that there are no functioning tail lights on the bike. The tow vehicles tail lights are unobscured, but most states require that a towed vehicle be equipped with functioning lights... With no rider on board it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine some dolt rear-ending your scooter "because I didn't see the motorcycle!"
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I made one of these many years ago out of necessity when moving from Calif. to Colo.

Mine however had a hole for the front axle to fit through, and necessitated the removal of the front wheel. The forks slipped down on the inside, and the axle went through to secure it.

By the way, don't believe that carp about backing it up!! lol

IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein