Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kiss riding, Idaho, Rt.12, good bye!

Angry Kiss riding, Idaho, Rt.12, good bye!

Seems that one of the best rides in the Idaho pan handle between Lewiston, ID and Lolo, MT is to be gutted to roll mammoth machinery, 2 lanes wide to the Alberta Tar Sands. This will be a permanent industrial corridor! check out allagainstthehaul it's chilling! Even with all the oppostition these machines are poised and waiting at the port of Lewiston!
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.

looks like a pretty lopsided website to me. They tell you nothing about the other side of the story so that you can form your own opinion, just express all of the talking points against.

These kind of websites make me pretty suspicious. I did research and read about this proposal after reading the website you reference. There is a lot of environmentalist type info on the web, but there seems to be quite a lack of much good information that is not heavily lopsided.

Last edited by 460Jetboat; 12-12-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

I stand mute beside the river
    Attached Images Attached Images

The river can speak for itself
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tar sands???

Allow me to correct your terminolgy, the proper name is the Alberta oil sands. Tar is not being refined there, oil is and the major customer for this oil is the U.S. Think about how well your engine would run if it truly was tar. Whenever someone says tar sands, it is obvious to me they have never been there. I've been there many times and while there are valid environmental issues, past & present, action is being taken by government & industry. For more than just one side of the story, check out www.capp.ca/oilsands. Hope this doesn't sound too political.
    1983 R80RT
    2007 R1200RT

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malaszka View Post
    Seems that one of the best rides in the Idaho pan handle between Lewiston, ID and Lolo, MT is to be gutted to roll mammoth machinery, 2 lanes wide
    I rode this route to Redmond for the rally and talked to several people working in coffee shops, cafe's etc along this very scenic and wonderful motorcycle road. What struck me was the loss of local work created by tourist traffic for the locals in Idaho and the huge loss to all of us of a beautiful riding experience if this were to come to pass. I vividly remember one very nice lady serving me an expresso with side of a very nice breakfast bagel with tears in her eyes at the thought of losing her livelihood and the thought of turning a quiet two-laner into four lanes of traffic that stopped for nothing. If the road is truly needed, I would hope a less invasive route might be found.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

A rather somber note in this sad story is the massive equipment exxonmobile needs to move on these roads was made in South Korea.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

...a pretty lopsided website...460jetboat
    Here's Exxon's version of the program:

http://www.exxonmobilperspectives.co...ned-for-kearl/
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    I rode this route to Redmond for the rally and talked to several people working in coffee shops, cafe's etc along this very scenic and wonderful motorcycle road. What struck me was the loss of local work created by tourist traffic for the locals in Idaho and the huge loss to all of us of a beautiful riding experience if this were to come to pass. I vividly remember one very nice lady serving me an expresso with side of a very nice breakfast bagel with tears in her eyes at the thought of losing her livelihood and the thought of turning a quiet two-laner into four lanes of traffic that stopped for nothing. If the road is truly needed, I would hope a less invasive route might be found.
    weird. i rode this on the way to redmond, too, and no one said a thing.

the site referenced is indeed very one-sided. reading the exxon site, it seems like the plan is to return the road to near its original form after the project. A decent source of reference for this is here. (see page S-3)

the question we need to ask ourselves: do we wish to achieve energy independence or do we want to continue to be held hostage by less-than-friendly foreign sources?

ian

ps => my prediction is that this thread will not end well.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Rinty & Visian, thanks for posting those links. As suspected the viewpoint presented in the OP's website is no where near truthful.

As Visian stated, we must each make a decision based on our personal beliefs, and our country is very divided on this issue & many others. Hopefully it can be discussed here in an amicable way.

IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    A rather somber note in this sad story is the massive equipment exxonmobile needs to move on these roads was made in South Korea.
    the oil business is global like no other business.

imagine if exxon proposed a facility to build this equipment on the banks of the Columbia river.

ian

Back in the day, Louisiana came out of much of the Carpetbagger history when "oil" companies started drilling there. Then drilling offshore...was another huge increase in the "economy"...

Today, things are changing.

If we are not allowed (although we CAN do it) to drill offshore, that is killing Louisiana.

Make as much of the "arrival" of your new economy... it won't last long.

I cannot recall riding / driving in Louisiana and never being behind an 18 wheeler... it was just part of the price of progress...

Quote Originally Posted by cathdeac View Post
    If we are not allowed (although we CAN do it) to drill offshore, that is killing Louisiana.

Make as much of the "arrival" of your new economy... it won't last long.
    a clean energy economy is possible, but the transition will take a lot longer than most expect. most realistic projections i read say we'll still be putting gas in our bikes in 2030.

we currently import over 50% of the oil we consume. strategically speaking, we MUST stop using fossil fuels as quickly as possible.

however, since the transition to clean energy will take so long we must also continue to invest in conventional resources. which means making the very hard choices that this thread is about.

ian

oh, and....

maybe louisiana can profit from tidal energy generation?

and here are the government projections for electricity:

myself, i am looking for investments in carbon capture/algae/biofuels.

HMMMM Seems like in the long run the road may benefit if they do improve the route along the way and leave it as original as they can. If they move one or two loads at night, how is that going to hurt the economy and tourism? I have ridden Lolo at night and can tell you its not fun. I just don't see any harm in moving large loads up it at night.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold