Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How about heated gear...for my garage.

My chickens too:)

They love the heat in winter. Same results, high up in their coop/house. Not very bright, chickens, but they know warm when they feel it. Maybe like us. Randy

I use a propane heater from Northern Equipment http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...78574200178574 I have a good sized garage, 26 x 30 , that is not insulated, has a poor quality door, and has an upstairs that is open to the downstairs. This heater does a good job taking the chill off. I like it being portable so I can move it to the area of the garage that I am working in rather than try to heat the whole garage.

I know everyone already knows this but I'll mention it anyway ... consider it a Public Service Announcement.

Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and sink to the floor. It's why gas water heaters must be mounted above floor level (in California anyway).

Leaky petcock + gasoline fumes, + pilot light (any open flame) may lead to ...

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    I know everyone already knows this but I'll mention it anyway ... consider it a Public Service Announcement.

Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and sink to the floor. It's why gas water heaters must be mounted above floor level (in California anyway).

Leaky petcock + gasoline fumes, + pilot light (any open flame) may lead to ...

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.
    Ok so you got me thinking, could I make it safer by rasing the heater up off the floor? and if so how high would I have to go?

Smile

Do not know how much room you have but a small pot belly cast iron stove might be what you are looking for. Properly vented to the outside you can have heat and a ready source of hot water, as its good sense to keep a large pot on top while the fire is burning. Iv'e used a carbon monoxide monitor as a safety precaution when using a fire place or cast iron stove. If you can find some sections of cardboard tri-wall boxes they keep the cold from getting to your body when you have to lay on cold concrete. Ride Safe

how high would I have to go?
    "Code" in California may be 24"; at least that's how high our W/H platform is off of the concrete. I'm not a contractor, so don't quote me. Since the fumes tend to hug the floor, they tend to "pool" up. How "deep" do they pool...

A buddy of mine lost his shiny new '82 Honda CX500 Guzzi-wannabe, and most of his garage, in exactly this manner. He'd pulled the tank and set it on the floor before heading into the house for dinner. The cross-over tube on the petcock popped off and flooded the floor ... water heater kicked on ... garage went poof.

He was fortunate that he and the family were awake when it happened. If it had happened after retiring for the night the outcome would probably have been much more tragic than just incinerating a motorcycle and some structure.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Garage heater

I have a 22'x22' Garage, 2x6 construction, well insulated, and my little Oreck infared cube keeps it at whatever temp. I want. I also have a ceiling fan to circulate, and a dehumidifier, so its truly a climate contolled garage. These heaters are also sold as "Edenpure".

I have one of these (a few years older but basically the same)
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Run it on a gas grill tank. my garage is about 20x25, uninsulated but sheetrocked. This thing on high when it's 20 degrees out will have me in just a t-shirt in 20 minutes.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

I put a ventless natural gas wall heater in my garage. Turn it on end of October and it runs til about mid-May. Garage is 72 degrees. Then the gas goes off, and in June, the window air conditioner goes on. Garage is still 72 degrees. Bikes love it, I love it, and my wood tools and wood love it. My bikes share the woodshop.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Check with your natural gas provider, they might have a special on garage heaters.

'02 R1150RT