Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Girlfriend wants to ride solo.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Sylvia has appreciated all the kind comments everyone has posted. We decided on the scooter because it was in the garage not being ridden and would probably be a good starter ride. She lives in the country, about a mile from her sister and brother-in-law, who are her best friends. I think she can safely ride around in this area back and forth to their house and start getting the feel of two wheel riding. If that goes well, we'll see about moving up to a motorcycle. Thx again.
    Scooters work fine to start on. Clutching and shifting are over-rated for a beginner. She can easily learn those fine points once she is used to riding, balancing, picking her line, watching out for obstacles, avoiding cars and trucks, dodging dogs and deer, and all of those other really important riding skills.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

All the suggestions were great but one was missing! I actually learned quite a lot by riding on the back of my boyfriends bike. When I realized that I really wanted to ride my own I started being extra observant in how he negotiated the road.
    He started me out with my first, a red Honda Hawk. I rode it early on sundays on the back roads and in empty parking lots doing circles till I got dizzy. Rode it as often as I could. A bit wobbly at first but there was no one there to comment, if you know what I mean! That was in 2005. Riding has changed my life!

This year I've got almost 14,000 on my R1200R! And I'm the featured artist for Helmet Hair Magazine for Oct./Nov.
    http://helmethairmagazine.com/hhm-v2...d-artists.html
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by malaszka View Post
    All the suggestions were great but one was missing! I actually learned quite a lot by riding on the back of my boyfriends bike. When I realized that I really wanted to ride my own I started being extra observant in how he negotiated the road.
    He started me out with my first, a red Honda Hawk. I rode it early on sundays on the back roads and in empty parking lots doing circles till I got dizzy. Rode it as often as I could. A bit wobbly at first but there was no one there to comment, if you know what I mean! That was in 2005. Riding has changed my life!

This year I've got almost 14,000 on my R1200R! And I'm the featured artist for Helmet Hair Magazine for Oct./Nov.
    http://helmethairmagazine.com/hhm-v2...d-artists.html
    Go, Deborah, go!

Great article! Wow!

http://apexgallery.sdsmt.edu/deborah...20sketches.htm

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Thanks Voni! But,.... it's also women riders such as yourself that inspired me! I think the first woman riders seminar I ever went to was in Spokane. It can be very intimidating so your smiling face and kind demeanor really made me feel like I could one day be a part of something I'd never imagined before!
    Now, every chance I get I try to find other woman riders, regardless of make, and I hope to be the advisor for a rider's group on campus.
    So, Sylvia! Welcome aboard! Hope you find it as empowering as many of us have!
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! kellysbeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malaszka View Post
    Now, every chance I get I try to find other woman riders, regardless of make, and I hope to be the advisor for a rider's group on campus.
    So, Sylvia! Welcome aboard! Hope you find it as empowering as many of us have!
    Yes!!! Great article too!!
    00 R1200C (blue)

Thx for your comments, Paul. Just what I was thinking.

Here's an article that seems to be written for this thread:

So You Wanna Buy Your Wife a Bike?
    A step-by-step guide from an MSF Instructor
    By Cliff Brown, Ozark, Alabama

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Here's an article that seems to be written for this thread:

So You Wanna Buy Your Wife a Bike?
    A step-by-step guide from an MSF Instructor
    By Cliff Brown, Ozark, Alabama
    Excellent link Holly!
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    A couple of points no one has mentioned yet.

Can she ride a bicycle? Sounds lame, but if you haven't been on one for 20 years it can be tricky. It is a requirement for MSF class.

How about a stick shift, can she drive a 5 speed manual car? Do you have access to one? I can recall only one person in my MSF class failing, and she was the only one with no experience with a stick. I know I want to get a 5 speed for my daughter, let her get a feel for that whole gear issue.

And don't let anyone talk her into a K75 for a first bike...to damn top heavy for a new user.

Signing my kiddo up in the spring for MSF...I can hardly wait.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Sylvia drives an extended cab 4 wheel drive truck, with standard shift. I think it's a 5 speed. So she understands manual shifting. I'll check out her riding a bicycle first to get her back used to 2 wheel balancing and riding.

BMW boxer-engine bikes are best, as the weight is low and the "tippy" factor is minimized. Not much you can hurt in a tipover on a nonfairing version, either.

It hasn't been posted whether Sylvia is really short or kinda tall, but in the long run the latter is better and real short may never work out.

I think all the talk about "Rebels," etc., is simply conventional thinking and not really useful.

My girl started on an R80G/S, no problem. If you're ever going to go anywhere besides 7-11 on a motorcycle, it isn't going to be on a "kid" bike and it seems never too soon to find out what it's like on a real bike.

Starting a lady friend out on a "kid" bike with all the assumptions of "fear," etc., sounds more like male macho showing off than it does reality. If she wants to do it, give her some credit. In this context the most likely thing she doesn't have is upper body muscle strength and working on that may be the better recommendation. I have a relatively short, but athletic, male friend whose first bike ever was an R1100RT--wasn't a problem.

Try an R65, R80ST, etc. Get the saddlebags.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

My wife took the MSF course last month, demoed a lowered 650GS over the course of a few weeks and has a nice surprise coming for Christmas.

She's a competitive mountain biker and that helped a lot, but she also has a great spirit for adventure.

With only a few hundred miles under her belt with the demo bike she's still tentative but she'll get comfortable quickly as long as we don't exceed her comfort zone.

She's proclaimed herself a "Dirt Girl" so we'll start her out with Heidenau K60 knobbies and crash guards.

Good luck to Sylvia and enjoy the ride!

RobStar

just enjoy learning Sylvia, never assume those cagers aka cars ever see you...ride safely, scan and get yourself some good comfy gear.

If you feel it in your gut that riding is for you...then look out...it becomes addicting and work will get in the way! See my ride report in my signature and for next years trip all ready planned....we will be heading from BC to Yukon, to NWT, Alaska and back home. The adventure is just beginning with your course!

Cool, Rob. Give her time - I rode 2,000 miles before I rode with saliva in my mouth!

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two