Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hyder Seek

Quote Originally Posted by 109452 View Post
    Was wondering about getting an oil change on the road, either by a shop or DIY. Any shop recommendations for Whitehorse, Dawson Creek or Watson Lake? I would prefer not hauling 4 qts but just buying from a shop. And I will be riding my GS!
    Thanks
    Mark
    R1200GS
    Heritage Softail
    Mark,

How far north are you planning to ride? If you are coming all the way to Fairbanks then I recommend you try to align your services so you do not need to do one on the road. In Fairbanks you will have the options of doing your own service in my garage (if I am not on the road); going to a local independent shop (there are a few that have great reputations); or, going to the local BMW dealer.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Mark,

How far north are you planning to ride? If you are coming all the way to Fairbanks then I recommend you try to align your services so you do not need to do one on the road. In Fairbanks you will have the options of doing your own service in my garage (if I am not on the road); going to a local independent shop (there are a few that have great reputations); or, going to the local BMW dealer.
    My tenative plan is to go to Hyder Seek then ride the Cassiar hwy to at least Watson Lake. I will either go to Skagway/Haines , Whitehorse but no farther north or leave Watson Lake and go to Dawson Creek. I appreciate the offer for your garage and would offer that in mine as well.

Mark

There is a Napa auto parts in Watson lake. They have motorcycle oil in several weights.

We'll see you in Hyder........
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent

On the Road
    pmdave

I just bought the 2010 milepost, I will start looking thru it tonight. I have also done the mail the oil thing but always to someone I knew, but it's a thought especially with the anonymous book which I confess I have never used to call someone. Last resort I will carry some & find the gas station. I have carried one of those cheap roasting pans which fit in the bottom of the panniers & really take up very little room, the kind that if your not careful fold in half when full of hot oil.
    Thanks
    Mark

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    There is a Napa auto parts in Watson lake. They have motorcycle oil in several weights.
    Thanks I'll try to find their website.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 109452 View Post
    Was wondering about getting an oil change on the road, either by a shop or DIY. Any shop recommendations for Whitehorse, Dawson Creek or Watson Lake? I would prefer not hauling 4 qts but just buying from a shop. And I will be riding my GS!
    Thanks
    Mark
    R1200GS
    Heritage Softail
    Mark, I've driven semis on the Alaska a fair bit and also ridden it on my bike. There are bike shops in Dawson Creek, Ft. St. John, & Ft. Nelson B.C.; they are all used to helping out riders with oil, tires & repairs. There are several bike dealers in Whitehorse, imho the Honda dealer is best as they carry a surprisingly good selection of oil, riding gear etc. All of them will alow diy with maybe a small disposal fee. If you need a tire tho you may be waiting several days for it to come in from Edmonton or Vancouver. Due to the isolation brace yourself for price shock, it costs plenty to have things hauled two thousand kms by truck. Watson Lake is not much more than several hotels & greasy spoons but you can count on help with repairs if you can get the parts brought in. Do be careful here & do not leave anything you want to keep out in plain view; when you get there you will know what I'm talking about. You will need to bring your own oil filter, I've dealt with the shops in Ft Nelson & Whitehorse, both will go the extra mile to help out a touring biker. Gary.
    1983 R80RT
    2007 R1200RT

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by airoilheadbeemerguy View Post
    Mark, I've driven semis on the Alaska a fair bit and also ridden it on my bike. There are bike shops in Dawson Creek, Ft. St. John, & Ft. Nelson B.C.; they are all used to helping out riders with oil, tires & repairs. There are several bike dealers in Whitehorse, imho the Honda dealer is best as they carry a surprisingly good selection of oil, riding gear etc. All of them will alow diy with maybe a small disposal fee. If you need a tire tho you may be waiting several days for it to come in from Edmonton or Vancouver. Due to the isolation brace yourself for price shock, it costs plenty to have things hauled two thousand kms by truck. Watson Lake is not much more than several hotels & greasy spoons but you can count on help with repairs if you can get the parts brought in. Do be careful here & do not leave anything you want to keep out in plain view; when you get there you will know what I'm talking about. You will need to bring your own oil filter, I've dealt with the shops in Ft Nelson & Whitehorse, both will go the extra mile to help out a touring biker. Gary.
    Sounds like extra precaution needs to be taken to avoid the 5 finger discount in that parts of the woods, you are the second poster to mention it. I try to always park where I can keep on eye on things but it's not always possible but I certainly will be extra cautious.What concerns me a little is my sleeping bag & tent that are strapped to the panniers. Thanks for the heads up about Whitehorse Honda.
    Mark

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed some odd behavior in northern BC and Yukon. I've had some delightful conversations with business people, truckers, and other tourists. It's not simply a matter of the five-finger discount by someone who is desparate, but some folks wanting to give tourists a hard time. I get the impression that some locals are jealous of anyone with the ability to travel on an expensive motorcycle. I know I'm prejudiced (I hope I'm not bigoted) here, but the behavior seems to be among those who are less educated

I'm thinking of the local yokels in the pickup truck headed at me in a consturction zone on the Alcan. They "drifted" over onto the gravel berm along the center of the road, roosting me with rocks. I swear the driver was grinning as he went by. I realize that getting around in the north is difficult, and a 4WD truck is the norm. To someone who lives full time in the north, a motorcycle is a luxury, not a real vehicle. A snowmobile is much more acceptable.

Is this just my imagination? Or have others experienced the same reverse-hospitality?

pmdave

Dave,

I have not had any issues with the problems you described. Among the folks who live in Alaska and travel back and forth to the outside it is, however, not uncommon to hear of an act of theft or vandalism along the roads. I'd say it is not an epidemic and you are more likely to travel unmolested than not, but caution is warranted. Not unlike many areas in our own land, regrettably.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent

Dave, I've not experienced anything like that altho some people can do goofy things if they've been drinking... A small number of folks are just plain mean & are happiest making others miserable. I've had similar experiences of drivers doing the same in the lower 48 & here in canuckland. While people up north tend not to be urban sophisticates (thankfully), ime everyone recognizes the importance of helping their fellow man. There are also curmudgeons who just don't want to be bothered and they let you know right away.
    1983 R80RT
    2007 R1200RT

Well, I know that some folks up north are known to take a sip from time to time.

I think maybe I've been spoiled by my Canadian friends, especially the Bee Cee Beemers, who all seem to be intelligent, honest, and helpful.

pmdave

The last time we were at Whitehorse I bought oil at Walmart. Their auto service department loaned me a drain pan and funnel, and took away the waste oil. That was in 2008. At least then they could not have been more helpful.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Hyder

We went in August to see the salmon run so we could see bears. Here's one.

Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

Now, THAT's a Hyder bear!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles