Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Any audio enthusiasts coming to the 2005 Rally?

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by woodnsteel
    Dave, are you in I.A.T.S.E.?
    Yes, absolutely. Local 720 (just out of trusteeship)
    Mike-Sorry to drop off the face of the world, I had a load out to do. I'll check on those baskets tomorrow. btw, what are you powering them with? The OEM speaker has a foam surround IIRC. If you're powering them with something substantial, you can use a cloth surround and you lose a little smoothness in the low end but you get a BUNCH more thump. (But you may lose some neighbors as well!)
    And I'd stay away from the D's and K's, they have a different magnet structure than the 22XX series. Yes the cone will fit, but the magnet makes them significantly different. The original paper on a D130 cone is about like a paper shopping bag. Even with the compliance of the foam surround on a 2235, the paper is so much heavier it doesn't work well. IIRC, those are OEM MI speakers. (IIRC, I reconed a few D130s with 2235s for guitar players, but then, they ARE guitar players.

Hi Dave;
    Thanks. I actually picked up 2235's, and they are at the reconers now, so I'm all set. Going with the foam for "factory" performance. I have a plethora of 2226's, so I am hip to the cloth accordion surround.

Power is with a variety of amps, from vintage receiver (110wpc) to noRh LeAmp, to QSC PLX 1602's and 2402's.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt03
    I worked my way through college selling audio equipment. I still have my Stax pre amp which sold for $500 in 1976. Hell now that I think about it I spent 500 on my top of the line Kenwood tuner ! I also have some custom made speakers from one of the early member of the Boston Audio Society. The woofers need to be reconed, anyone know who does this ? They are a phase corrected speaker similar to Dalhquist DQ10's except the woofer is in a sealed enclosure.

The woofers are CTS 12W19P marked 8 ohms and a number of 7634 underneath that.

Thanks for any help
    Try this forum http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html and post perhaps in Speakers-General.
    Also try audiokarma.org forum, perhaps.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Hey Brad think you can help me balance mysystem when you get here?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Yes, and then balance mine next...........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Sure no problem...
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_In_Lima
    Nice! I'm picking up some JBL 4430 enclosures this weekend. Cabs/grills/horns/crossover, no drivers. I have the HF drivers, need to find some JBL 2235 woofers, or raw frames to recone. Heard 'em?
    Yo Mike have you tried an out fit in the Denver area called "Gold Sound" thats where I got my jbl2235's course that was about 18 years ago but I think they are still in busness.
    Someone else wandered what tube type amp they had years ago? if you were rich or lucky they propably were Mcintosh's wish I had them. I am no longer "into audio" it's too much like computers as soon as you have state of the art equipment it no longer is.

Mike,

Thanks for the link to that site. I just found a company called Layne Audio that will recone them. I will call them later today !

I can't wait to get my old spkrs back.

Thanks again.
    Craig Cleasby
    South Windsor, CT
    1996 K1100LT
    2004 R1150GS
    Yankee Beemers

Quote Originally Posted by jdcoffman
    Yo Mike have you tried an out fit in the Denver area called "Gold Sound" thats where I got my jbl2235's course that was about 18 years ago but I think they are still in busness.
    Someone else wandered what tube type amp they had years ago? if you were rich or lucky they propably were Mcintosh's wish I had them. I am no longer "into audio" it's too much like computers as soon as you have state of the art equipment it no longer is.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know of them. Generally it is cheaper to find some "cores" and have them reconed, and that is what I did.
    I'm not into audio either, I'm into music!! (okay, I kinda like the gear. It's like motorcyclesI don't get into the "state of the art" chase because most of it is just marketing anyway. In fact, the classic JBL pro drivers are still lower distortion and better sounding than most of the newer stuff.........

MBB

James.A

Question for Bradford Benn or anyone

What would be a good place to get a Tascam D.A.T. machine repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by Colt03
    Mike,

Thanks for the link to that site. I just found a company called Layne Audio that will recone them. I will call them later today !

I can't wait to get my old spkrs back.

Thanks again.
    Which site did you end up on?

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by woodnsteel
    What would be a good place to get a Tascam D.A.T. machine repaired?
    Tascam. Check the back of the owners manual for the nearest service center.

James.A

Duh......

Why didn't I think of that?

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I am not really sure in the Midwest. I know where in LA... you may want to check your documentation as they usually include a list. If not check out the list of Crown Authorized Service Centers at http://www.crownaudio.com/support/servcent.htm those guys usually do more than one brand.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride