Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any audio enthusiasts coming to the 2005 Rally?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Warren
    I'll try to post two pics. The first is during their first repaint. They have been repainted two or three times.
    Apparently those are custom made cabinets, seemingly bass reflex and not a rear loaded horn design. I wonder what the cabinet tuning is. Those are great sounding woofers, still some of the nicest sounding ones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Warren
    This is what they look like now.
    Very very cool. Looks like you are into music.

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn
    JBL Studio Monitors 4410, had them for 10 years now.
    Nice! I'm picking up some JBL 4430 enclosures this weekend. Cabs/grills/horns/crossover, no drivers. I have the HF drivers, need to find some JBL 2235 woofers, or raw frames to recone. Heard 'em?

Just a bit different

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_In_Lima
    Sounds like you had an Altec A7, perhaps. Those are cool. Look anything like this? This is a combo front-loaded horn/bass reflex cabinet.
    As I recall, the speaker was probably about 15" round, mounted in the middle of the cabinet, with an enclosure over the entire front. There was a coaxial mounted tweeter. My Dad drove to NYC to buy the whole system, in the early days of "hi-fi" sometime around maybe the mid 50's. Wish I still had it!

Dan

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Nice! I'm picking up some JBL 4430 enclosures this weekend. Cabs/grills/horns/crossover, no drivers. I have the HF drivers, need to find some JBL 2235 woofers, or raw frames to recone. Heard 'em?
    Sorry don't know 'em off the top of my head.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

dlearl476
    In my first band, "V-O-Ts" were the holy grail. Now I us dBs and Meyers. But then I don't have to pay for them. I'm the A-3 on Mamma Mia! Las Vegas and the 2nd National Tour.

Crown, eh BB? I have one sitting on my ca. 1950 "HiFi" powering a pair of Kroks with my XM "the home version". (MacroTec that "followed me home" when we installed the LabGruppens for the show).

4430's? you would have to bring that up, I passed on a pair for $300 dollars from a defunct disco once. (And I knew they were good because I'd just reconed them!)

Mike_in_Lima. I could possibly source you a couple of woofs from the company I used to work for. They're a JBL dealer. (And recone center, so they have a lot of "spares" you might say).

Quote Originally Posted by dlearl
    In my first band, "V-O-Ts" were the holy grail. Now I us dBs and Meyers. But then I don't have to pay for them. I'm the A-3 on Mamma Mia! Las Vegas and the 2nd National Tour.

Crown, eh BB? I have one sitting on my ca. 1950 "HiFi" powering a pair of Kroks with my XM "the home version". (MacroTec that "followed me home" when we installed the LabGruppens for the show).

4430's? you would have to bring that up, I passed on a pair for $300 dollars from a defunct disco once. (And I knew they were good because I'd just reconed them!)

Mike_in_Lima. I could possibly source you a couple of woofs from the company I used to work for. They're a JBL dealer. (And recone center, so they have a lot of "spares" you might say).
    Ha! I knew it; scratch a few motorcyclists, and under the surface are some raging audioholics..............or something like that............
    Anyway, yeah, if they have any raw frames, I can get the recones done really nicely here. These are the models that can be reconed as 2235's, with the 2225 being the next best substitute for an actual 2235 frame.
    D130
    K130
    K140

Thanks.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Hmmm I have been looking for that amplifier. I can describe it it is heavy and silver, plus has a weird plug on it.

Mamma Mia is a fun show to watch at least. I saw it up in Toronto.

The best toys are like you say, the ones you don't have to pay for, why do I have an I-Tech 8000 (4000W per channel) powering my computer speakers in the office? Cause I can

Also Mike if dlearl strikes out, let me know. I can call a friend at JBL...
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn
    Also Mike if dlearl strikes out, let me know. I can call a friend at JBL...
    Okey dokey, thanks. I see that Crown is a Harman Co. Keeps it in the family I guess. I like the Crown powered JBL 18 inch sub for club gigs. Looks nice.

James.A
    What kind of music do you perform?
    The last few years I have been playing string bass in an all acoustic band. In fact, I made my own pick-up for it. I have enough parts to make another one if anyone is interested. I also have a circle of friends who I record original music with. Additionally, I do an annual show known as "The Bonehead Reunion." 2005 will be the 20th. I use a single Peavey monitor and a 6 channel Peavey head in my re-hearsal room. Too many vintage guitars and amps to list reside there also. I am particularly fond of blackface Fender amps. The P.A. I used to run was all JBL and Crown, a 24.4 Mackie mixer and 2 big ol' racks of EQ, FX and processing. Still own all of the FOH, but the system is now a "small room" set up. Replaced the 24.4 mixer with a 1604VLZ.
    Last edited by woodnsteel; 02-07-2005 at 04:51 AM.

Bring a guitar!

James.A
    I'm the A-3 on Mamma Mia! Las Vegas and the 2nd National Tour.
    Dave, are you in I.A.T.S.E.?

James.A
    Bring a guitar!
    Mike, my first instrument of proficiency is electric bass. For the bassist, flexibility and versatility are the name of the game. Top shelf singing skills are a must as well. Regretably, I am NOT a highly proficient guitarist. I can get myself into trouble on guitar but I can't get myself out. Might be better if I just borrow one of yours.

Just secured JBL 2235's, thanks for offering to find me some!

I worked my way through college selling audio equipment. I still have my Stax pre amp which sold for $500 in 1976. Hell now that I think about it I spent 500 on my top of the line Kenwood tuner ! I also have some custom made speakers from one of the early member of the Boston Audio Society. The woofers need to be reconed, anyone know who does this ? They are a phase corrected speaker similar to Dalhquist DQ10's except the woofer is in a sealed enclosure.

The woofers are CTS 12W19P marked 8 ohms and a number of 7634 underneath that.

Thanks for any help
    Craig Cleasby
    South Windsor, CT
    1996 K1100LT
    2004 R1150GS
    Yankee Beemers