Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane Splitting Debate

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 460Jetboat View Post
    I really think the police should start giving tickets for not yielding the left lane to traffic.
    Number one problem here in Seattle also. Purely passive/aggressive behavior.
    When you do attempt to go around them on the right the person in that lane speeds up.
    Or the left laner speeds up too. More than a few times I've been boxed in.

Here is where I lane split at speed between them usually to their astonishment one handed w/ the left hand raised and a finger extended.

A close second is cellphones.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Get out of the Bay Area or So Cal and it is mostly empty.

Hey, that's my backyard. Now I can expect more traffic, thanks
    2013 R1200 GSW

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

Quote Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
    When traffic is completely stopped or crawling, either on the freeway or on surface streets, it's AWESOME to lanesplit, but when traffic is moving, I don't do it, partly because my bike is so massive (GSA) and partly because it's somewhat nerve racking.

I've seen young guys on sportbikes lane splitting at insane speeds while traffic is flowing. THAT is insane.

And when i'm lanesplitting in stopped traffic and there's another motorcyclist BEHIND me, lanesplitting, that's REALLY nerve racking!
    If I get caught while lanesplitting, I always pull in and let them by. I expect the same.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Get out of the Bay Area or So Cal and it is mostly empty.

No kidding. When people come to visit from back east and we go riding, they're always amazed at how rural most of CA is. They think it's all like LA.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

criminaldesign
    I took advantage of the lane splitting for the brief time I spent in CA. People seemed to leave adequate room or move over.

I couldn't imagine putting up with that day in and day out.

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
    No kidding. When people come to visit from back east and we go riding, they're always amazed at how rural most of CA is. They think it's all like LA.
    I used to hear that about the Adirondacks in NY.
    Or... "I'm from NY." The reply: "The City?"
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

FWIW, & just so I don't get placed on the ignorant list, I'll say that I have traveled much of CA and 2 of my 3 sons lived there briefly, also a cousin & family near S.Jose. Much of the state is a beautiful place with many natural wonders, roads and great people too! My student dentist is from Daly City.My cousin & his family live near S.Jose for many years.
    However , every time I'm there I marvel @ the $$$ & the ### of people, compared to what I'm used too! I just googled the pop. of CA & stands @ over 37 million. Kern County is 870,000 which is 174 times the population of my county, which is very rural. Even some of the "quaint" places in CA seem pretty busy to me. Frame of reference is relative here.
    Back to the thread; when I lane split it's a release from "traffic jail" or urban gridlock, if you will, for me. I'll be very careful when I do it but worth the risk. My version of lane splitting doesn't include the "sport bike lane weaves" I see near most high density urban hwys! Usually some kid with shorts & tennies, sometimes equipped with someones daughter on the back...

When I first started riding in St Louis about 82 lane splitting was common. There were fewer motorcycles them but it was great for traffic. I never went more than maybe 10 MPH in stopped traffic though. Filtering was not common, and lane splitting traffic that is moving more the 10 or 20 MPH was rare. There were few jerks, very few, but society has changed, not nice anymore.

When i started riding again, I was surprised to find it is not done any more. Not an issue here in Joplin, but on the road, there are occasional jams.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I teach MSF with a retired CHP motor cop. He said that in all his years as a CHP he never rolled on an accident from a lane splitting bike and he rolled on many where a bike was rear ended when not lane splitting

Debate over!

I'm a Calif. rider too, and I split, in very slow traffic, and at lights.

But I know of at least one accident where someone splitting t-boned a sudden lane changer in slow traffic.

So it does happen. What (IIRC David Hough) has to say on it is that, where the drivers of cars expect it, it's safe. Where they don't, it's not.

And it has to be done with care, and caution.

I will miss the option when I move to New Jersey.

Lane Splitting Rules

I have ridden many wonderful miles in CA and when the traffic bogs down it is a real blessing to be able to split lanes. I don't always do it as I travel a lot and it is much more difficult with saddlebags.

CA riders straighten me out if I am wrong, but aren't there some (possibly unwritten) rules about lane splitting like: only when traffic is 35 mph or under, don't exceed the prevailing traffic's speed by more than 15 or 20 mph (or maybe less), split between the left or fast lane and the lane to it's immediate right (on multilane roads). I'm sure there are more, can anyone expand on this?

I also always watch for cars that might be squeezing the space between lanes (those that may either be possessive about the space or ignorant of lane splitting) and any cars with out-of-state plates.

Karen
    Karen Thomson #30509
    AVID MotoTours http://avidmototours.com/avidmototourshome.aspx
    MOTORCYCLE TOURING Love It, Live It...DO IT!
    (working on the third 100K BMW miles) I LOVE my GS

Quote Originally Posted by mototraveler View Post
    CA riders straighten me out if I am wrong, but aren't there some (possibly unwritten) rules about lane splitting like: only when traffic is 35 mph or under, don't exceed the prevailing traffic's speed by more than 15 or 20 mph (or maybe less), split between the left or fast lane and the lane to it's immediate right (on multilane roads). I'm sure there are more, can anyone expand on this?
    There are guidelines, but ask three cops what they are and you'll get three different answers. If they don't like what you are doing they can always cite you for reckless riding or, if you weren't reckless they can usually cite you for one (or both) of these:

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.

22108. Any signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given continuously during the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.

assuming you weren't 100% in one lane 100% of the time.

rocketman
    I used to (mostly) filter or sometimes split lanes in DC when working as a MC messenger since getting to the head of the line saved me time (and therefore made me more money) and did split lanes during rush hour and never really got all that "comfortable" with it. Riding in traffic for 8-10 hours a day was wearing enough, it just added to the stress. Course now that was a bit different than just doing it for an hour or so commute. Luckily back then MC cops pretty much left us MC messengers be, guess they figured the job was hard enough why add to the "misery" and knew it was a "time was money" thing as well. Now I just avoid situations that would require it and if caught head for the shoulder when possible, even though its not legal.

I do think its one of those areas where people can get pretty heated/adamant about one side or other and when folks start throwing out insulting/derogatory terms or names for others views, other drivers/legislators etc, that pretty much does it for me, anything they may have to say on the subject becomes moot, whether or not their arguments are reasonable.

RM

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Now I just avoid situations that would require it and if caught head for the shoulder when possible, even though its not legal.
    In California I've found that the CHP especially are very protective of the shoulder. Their attitude is that it belongs to them and you should stay out. I'm sure that not all are that way, but there are enough that riding there for non-emergency reasons is asking for a citation.

rocketman
    In California I've found that the CHP especially are very protective of the shoulder. Their attitude is that it belongs to them and you should stay out. I'm sure that not all are that way, but there are enough that riding there for non-emergency reasons is asking for a citation.
    Well that could well be true, as I said I mostly aviod having be in traffic that may trap me in stop and go, I know everyone is not so lucky as to be able to make such a choice as communting routes and such. I simply don't apply for jobs that require rush hour jams anymore or travel the thruways during those times. So its a rare day (like maybe 5 years ago being the last time!) I get jambed up and if I can't make up to nearest exit on the shoulder, I just pull off for a while.

RM

yeah, and i remember riding out your way and seeing the man parked on his bike about every quarter mile during rush hour. just to make sure you see them and don't try to pull a fast one.

do they still do that?