Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: XP user NON-SUPPORT coming 4-8...What to do???

XP user NON-SUPPORT coming 4-8...What to do???

I have 4 units that are happy running XP now for many years. I really DO NOT want to change; but it seems from what I read that I shall be overrun with malware and viruses if I don't upgrade to something else. It seems that the monthly updates and security updates from Microsoft have kept me issue free and that this is gonna end on 4-8. A huge can of worms is coming my way??? Is this true???????????

I really do not want to make huge changes and do not use touch screens. What are options????

It seems that Windows 8.1 is the most like XP.....How is the best, least painless, and minimal learning curve????????...........

THANKS for YOUR help........God bless........Dennis

It was reported in the news that >80 of all ATM terminals run XP. Doubt they are going to replace all of them.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    I have 4 units that are happy running XP now for many years. I really DO NOT want to change; but it seems from what I read that I shall be overrun with malware and viruses if I don't upgrade to something else. It seems that the monthly updates and security updates from Microsoft have kept me issue free and that this is gonna end on 4-8. A huge can of worms is coming my way??? Is this true???????????

I really do not want to make huge changes and do not use touch screens. What are options????

It seems that Windows 8.1 is the most like XP.....How is the best, least painless, and minimal learning curve????????...........

THANKS for YOUR help........God bless........Dennis
    I have been moving things to Windows 7. I like it much better than 8 and if you turn off the fluff, it runs fine on older hardware.
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    Airhead #10576

I went through the changes to Millenium and Vista (and hated them both). Then, with my new computer (3-1/2 years ago), I got Windows 7. I think it runs great.

Only problem I have had is one of my study Greek programs would not run on Win 7, even under the XP mode. So I had to purchase the extra for 7 that then did allow me to run my program.

Everything else from XP ran fine - even AutoCAD which is very graphics intensive that I thought it would never run on Win 7. but it did and it does so well!

One thing I do know is that I have seen fewer lockups, or any problems. I had them almost daily with XP.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

I've been using XP Pro forever and like it a lot. Microsoft's discontinuing of support means that we won't be getting any more security updates (those KBnnnnn files) automatically patched in; maybe our other anti-malware apps (Norton, AVG, etc.) will now have to include updates that will protect our old stuff...? We can hope.
    As a minimum, though, it looks like we really should upgrade our OS to something like Windows 7; I understand (but cannot confirm) that it really is more secure (64 bit instead of 32) and works better with "newer" websites.
    My local PC shop wants to sell me the "Home Premium" version, but I think that "Professional" will be the better way to go - according to some web surfing, it looks like the Home versions will also be losing support soon, while the Pro should be good until 2020.
    Also note that if you have old hardware (ancient CPU) and/or limited RAM, you may need to REALLY upgrade.
    I'll include here a comparison sheet I found -
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am facing an upgrade to a newer desktop. I built this one eight years ago and it still has Win XP. It's a bit too old to run Win 7 adequately.

I have Win 7 Pro on a new laptop and I like it.

At my dentist's office, there was some talk about one of their computers crashing. I mentioned that Win XP support was ending soon: the dentist was well aware of that. He has elaborate software that handles digital X-Rays, medical records, appointments, billing, etc. The company that provides that software has told him that he must upgrade Windows for security reasons, so he will be replacing some computers to be able to do that.

It looks like I will be doing the same thing at home with my desktop.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Not really knowing what this really means, I found that Microsoft's kicking XP to the curb, not right. I liked XP and managed to do quite a bit with it. I think with some messing around I could keep XP going as long as I wanted. I didn't like Microsoft telling me it's time to buy another operating system. I made the move to Apple.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Reminds me of a band called 1023MB ... they haven't had any gigs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Not really knowing what this really means, I found that Microsoft's kicking XP to the curb, not right. I liked XP and managed to do quite a bit with it. I think with some messing around I could keep XP going as long as I wanted. I didn't like Microsoft telling me it's time to buy another operating system. I made the move to Apple.
    OM
    Until Apple tells you you need to upgrade to do most everything! although I understand that Apple has less bugs.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    Until Apple tells you you need to upgrade to do most everything! although I understand that Apple has less bugs.
    Yes. So far, with any Apple updates, it's been seamless. When I used to get an update to XP, it would go in and change Outlook Express to Office Outlook and I would have to spend some time reconfiguring things. The last major trouble with XP was the CPU running at 98%- for no reason. One of the researched reasons is/was a subtle push by MS to aggravate people to upgrade
    I don't know if the move to Apple is a cure for anything- however.......if I make a phone call, someone answers
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I'm no IT professional, but I don't think running XP into the future will really be a massive malware or security issue. More than likely, those bad people out there will move on to Win7 or 8 to play their games. I personally don't think that Microsoft played "games" with XP users to force them to a new OS. It think it's more of an issue with running older and older hardware. Eventually one of two things are going to happen. One, you're hardware will fail or you won't be able to upgrade hardware when it does fail. Two, it will be more and more difficult for you to work on the Internet because websites will be designed for the later OS's and browsers...future browsers won't be backwardly compatible.

At some point, I think it's necessary to make the jump to something new. It's a wonderful thing to have the machine boot faster, programs come up quicker, and I have a boatload of storage space. Can you say terrabyte? I know that the newer OS and programs require more resources, but generally the cost of storage space is way down.

I bought a small footprint notebook now running 8.1 after upgrading. Honestly, I can't remember XP and/or running 8.1 in the "standard" look (I probably won't really use the touch screen feature) is the "same as it ever was". I'm running Win7 at home and work...there's really no major difference between 7 and 8/8.1.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I know that the newer OS and programs require more resources, but generally the cost of storage space is way down.
    The cost of desktop boxes is now so low, the manufacturers are leaving the market. A ridiculously powerful Dell XPS box is a lot less than a set of Wilber shocks.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

The unit I pretty much work with all the time ONCE was quite the horse that I edited video on for umpteen years using Maxtor video editing hardware and the Adobe suite of softwares. MANY MANY hours of heavy duty video have been produced on this thing, Oprah, outdoor channel, USAF, Army, Navy, weddings which we hate, and on and on..........Also we use 2 Dell laptops that 5 years ago were the best they made.......
    That said will MY unit run the newer Microsoft OS........8.1 I hear is the best???.

Windows XP PRO
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40 Ghz
    3.39 ghz, 2.00 GB of RAM

I appreciate the above comments about not being able to update software as the newer stuff will not run on XP........it's kinda like the old days when MS-DOS changed to 3.1 and then that went to Windows 95........I guess those things happened in just a very few years and now my old friend XP that has been around a very long time is being retired...........
    Yes, I hear you about SLOWWWWWWWWW boot as it now takes like 10 to 15 minutes to finish booting.......I just really wonder if I am gonna fire it up one day and it is gonna be totally blown up by malware......YES I run McAfee and updates with it but really wonder if THEY are gonna keep me going.

Do I have to learn a whole new way of functioning???????? Will my system work with just the 8.1 upgrade and will it be just fine?
    Do I have to get MANY different upgrades for our 4 units or do they make a multi-unit upgrade........

Thanks for the thoughts guys..........God bless.......Dennis

I seriously doubt your current hardware will function with 8.1. You need a fast processor, a good/decent video section, and a ton of RAM...2Gb just isn't big enough. You'll load the OS but have no room to run anything. Then the OS will be continuously be swapping info to/from the harddrive...and remember input/output is way slower than operating totally within RAM. You would only be making things worse by trying to upgrade the OS...likely it wouldn't work even if you tried.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Though I only have Windows 7, I have heard that Windows 8 isn't much different. I really like 7. I ran XP at work, and don't remember any issues going back and forth.