Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Scammers using the BMW MOA Flea Market

I thought hiding my email address when placing an add would be a good thing to protect me, but it has not worked the best.
    I had three members contact me using the contact seller button, that I was not able to contact. When I would reply, it would bounce back. I'm guessing they have a old email in their profile.
    I think on my next adds, I'll show my email address.
    With each person that contacted me, I asked for a screen name and location, so I could check they were a MOA member. This seemed to work.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

still at it

Placed a wtb ad last week. Today got the second e-mail attempt by the +44 phone number in reply. Because of the warning ,and experience, know right away what was up. Thank you for the heads up.
    Yes whoever they are they are still trying, hoping someone will slip up.
    Make positive decisions by eliminating the negative choices

Not to decide is to decide

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    When in doubt...

Punt!
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Angry Me too

Placed the ad, received a reply from "Graham Morrison". Same spiel about "good and excellent condition". I asked to pay via PayPal, which he said " his account was dormant" and he "was having difficulty uploading pictures of the seat" (Looking for a One Piece seat from a Factory Low RT).

I then asked for his MOA number. He gave me one that I then mailed to the MOA and asked if it was valid. If it is, I bet he either snagged it off of someone or made it up.

So I'm replying again, now knowing that it's a scam. It's kind of fun. I think I'll tell him that I have a associate near him and he'll come get the seat for me.

Thank you all for this thread. And for posting it on the Flea Market site. Ti needs to be mandatory reading for anyone who posts and ad.

Casey
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

D.B.Casey-MSF#133889
    2011 RT

Steve
    I'm beginning to feel so left out here that I'm thinking of placing this ad: "WTB--anything so long as it's REALLY expensive and preferably from Nigeria."

doktortim
    Life is risk. The avoidance of risk keeps YOUR money in YOUR pocket. Go to any thrift store and get a paper shredder for $5 or $10. Shread every piece of junkmail that has your name and address on it. People will go through your garbage and collect bit by bit info about you. How many people cruising the landfill are looking for bank statements?????

If you don't keep it filed in hand and have no need of it further, shread that crap, shread it or burn it. Especially make sure you don't let register receipts get away if you used an account for payment. Even if the # doesn't show, it might be encoded on there. You just cut your risk from this charletans venue.

No need to be paranoid, just prudent.

Consider as well, it is illegal for anyone to require your SSN except an employee of the SSA authorized to use it. If you volunteer it, your kicking the door open to risk. If they say then need it for this purpose, tell them it is illegal for them to use it for ANY PURPOSE even if you volunteer it. Understand that the person asking can be perfectly honest. What about the other 10,000 employees of the business that now have access to your info. ALL of them honest??

Do people "cruise" landfills in the USA? In my area , unless your dumping it is verbotten to be in there. I took our 2nd(as in only other one) to the computer guy in our tiny county seat and was one of 3 with a "virus shutdown" in that one short visit in a town of a couple hundred people. There is no shortage of bad guys out there and the BMW "Richie rich kid" image goes a long ways with a thief, so our website is prime territory for them to try & plunder. On Ebay it is a constant battle to keep ones identity safe.

Face it. We're a fear based society.
    The boogey man went from under our beds as kids and out into our daily lives.
    Now he's looking for my SSN# in a landfill? Pfft. PuhLeeze.

Two things I do for transactions:

1. PayPal when available.

2. Initiate the contact/transaction.

Know what the real problem is?
    The lazy person who works at one of the three credit reporting agencies.
    One missed keystroke and you are in hell and can spend days/weeks fixing it.

That is one of the weakest links.
    Worried? Check your credit report(s) often.
    Beyond that? Ride and stop worrying.

Just recently I changed Motorcycle Insurance Companys. I was asked for my SS#. I politely declined to give it, stating a SS# should never be given over the phone to anyone you don't know. They said no problem and wrote the policy. FWIW I saved $500.00 a year for switching from Geico to Dairyland.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    Just recently I changed Motorcycle Insurance Companys. I was asked for my SS#. I politely declined to give it, stating a SS# should never be given over the phone to anyone you don't know. They said no problem and wrote the policy. FWIW I saved $500.00 a year for switching from Geico to Dairyland.
    +1 on all accounts! I had that question at Cabela's. And declined as well.

I just can't get Dairyland out here.

I went to tractor supply near here a while back.At check out the girl asks for my phone number.I say i spent 68 cents on two bushings,why do you need my phone number? Just give me my 32 cents change so i can go.She looked like i had thrown a bucket of ice water on her.After a little fumbling i had my change.As i was leaving i heard the guy behind me say-no you don't need my phone number.I smiled.Ed
    Ed Baker

Quote Originally Posted by rebake View Post
    I went to tractor supply near here a while back.At check out the girl asks for my phone number.I say i spent 68 cents on two bushings,why do you need my phone number? Just give me my 32 cents change so i can go.She looked like i had thrown a bucket of ice water on her.After a little fumbling i had my change.As i was leaving i heard the guy behind me say-no you don't need my phone number.I smiled.Ed
    I work at a farm/industrial/shop retailer where we ask you for a phone number as well. A few customers refuse but most give it or already have it in our system. We use it to be able to find your purchase if you return something without a receipt, and can then refund you in the media of your original purchase. No receipt and no record?- sorry Charlie, no refund, maybe a store courtesy card IF we can find a sale. It's your choice to give it or not, but it's to your benefit if supplied.
    1985 R80RT/ 2002 R1150GSA
    IBA # 44032

My numbers in the book anyway, so what the heck? To me its the same deal as the people that hide their license plate in a vehicle , for sale ad .

Quote Originally Posted by rebake View Post
    My experience on this is for travel distance to the store. It helps the marketing geniuses plot where the next store would should/be. If you want to have a little fun, the next time give the store phone number
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    My experience on this is for travel distance to the store. It helps the marketing geniuses plot where the next store would should/be. If you want to have a little fun, the next time give the store phone number
    I can assure you that the many who ask for my phone number, will be seriously disappointed when/if they locate a store near me!Hard to sell to people that aren't there and the few that are have not much, so go figure.