Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scammers using the BMW MOA Flea Market

Scammers using the BMW MOA Flea Market

A while back I caught wind of someone being scammed from an advertisement he placed on the BMW MOA online Flea Market, so I decided to take a closer look.

I placed a "Want to Buy" ad on the MOA online Flea Market (and only on the MOA online Flea Market...) The ad is here.

A few days later I got an e-mail that was eerily similar to the one the fellow who reported being scammed received:

Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 6:56 AM
    To: ted@
    Subject: Hi Folks, Looking for a new/mint condition BMW OEM Bulb kit for a K75/K100/K1100 - please let me know if you have one for sale. Thanks!

Hello,

This is Andrew Morgan from the United Kingdom.You placed a wanted Ad over the internet and i still have for sale in good and perfect condition.

My Mobile Number is +447024074843

Thanks

Andrew Morgan
    Barlow Moor Road, Chorlton cum Hardy, Manchester, M21 8AE
    The "You placed a wanted Ad over the internet and i still have for sale in good and perfect condition" sounded a bit choppy so I decided to look further.

In the header information of the e-mail I found the originating IP (ie, the location of the Internet provider he was using when he sent the e-mail)

X-Originating-IP: [41.211.234.17]
    Resolving this IP I found this: "41.211.234.17 is from Nigeria(NG) in region Southern Africa"

OK, the guy is in Nigeria, but what about the +44 British phone number?

A further look reveals that +44 numbers followed by "70", as in the "+447024074843" given, belong to a British call forwarding service that transparently forwards calls anywhere in the world and is used almost exclusively by scammers.

I replied and am awaiting response - no doubt the following e-mail will direct me to use Western Union or MoneyGram to send money. Why Western Union or MoneyGram? Because regardless of where and to whom the money is intended to be sent, it can be picked up quite anonymously anywhere in the world simply by having the wire confirmation number.

Personally I find the requirement to use Western Union or MoneyGram to be a dead giveaway of a scam - I have been involved in moderating sites with online marketplaces for many years and I have never heard of a legitimate deal using Western Union, and have heard almost exclusively of its use for scams.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Good information, Ted. Thanks for posting this.

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

Rally Rat

BEWARE Scammer still active on OUR site.

Thanks for the heads up.... I just got a second email from Andrew Morgan today. If it weren't for a warning from Ted Verrill I would have sent him money later today because he quoted me a good price for the parts I am looking for.

We need a way to flash a warning message to anyone of our members when they go to the Flea Market...

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrainer View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.... I just got a second email from Andrew Morgan today. If it weren't for a warning from Ted Verrill I would have sent him money later today because he quoted me a good price for the parts I am looking for.

We need a way to flash a warning message to anyone of our members when they go to the Flea Market...
    Tell him to send you the parts plus a $1000 in small U.S. bills, and you'll gladly refund him the difference as payment.

Seriously, this is a good "heads up." As parts for older motorcycles may become more scarce, we as owners may be more susceptible to this type of scam.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Great work Ted.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Jack D
    I too have received 3 messages from this individual. The phone number and city where he supposedly lives is different each time.

Curious.

We may have a small breach in vbulletin as the necessary information to be able to spam you is invisible, or supposed to be, to someone not logged in.

This is the first I've heard of any spam related to our flea market in however many years it's been live.

Or someone has gotten a valid user ID and password somehow. How could we test this? By putting up another fake AD w/o the sellers e-mail address. Then if the system e-mail response is used to contact the seller, the user ID used to generate that e-mail should be visible in vBulletin files somewhere?
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Note sent to Scott re: forensics we can use to uncover some of the info requested, as well as suggested Flea Market warning language and location to place.

As for access, there could be a security hole, the scammer could be using a hacked account, or he actually could have joined the MOA just to get access (I wouldn't put it past them...) Proper forensic examination will tell.
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Yep - I took some initiative and e-mailed every person who placed a "Want to Buy" ad for the last month a warning with a pointer to this thread. Most of the responses indicate they too have been contacted by this scammer (with the same e-mail content too...)

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrainer View Post

Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

This is not an unusual situation. Just about anyone in world can legitimately become a member of any forum. They never participate but just lurk and phish for your information.
    Mike
    MOA# 28109

I have an open mind. I just don't allow my brain to fall out.

It is a bit unusual for the BMW MOA Flea Market because it is designed so that to gain full access you must be a paid member of the BMW MOA - generally these guys troll free sites like Craig's List and such - here is a thread on our local message boards with a Nigerian scammer who kept posting the same fake ad in different localities:
    http://www.bmwbmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15260
    He still posts the same ad with the same pictures every now and then, I just stopped updating the thread.
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

IBMWR is infested with Nigerian responses. It is an automatic there.Actually was quite entertaining in the beginning.Most of the problems I see on Craigslist are USA based, as are the ebay scammers.A lady wanted to get my credit card over the phone on Craigs the other day for a tool to a residence or whatever. Actually most ebay problems are just people that don't know how to properly conduct business & thankd goodness it's a minority. The UK seems to be a problem too. If you post on a website based there get ready for junk emails adinfintum! Somehow the Asians seem to do the same,but MOA has never been a problem for me selling.

HODAG
    as a side note, why did they quit making the bulb kit?

Andrew Morgan wants to know.

aso432

He contacted me.

I was asking for a R1200RT rear seat. He responded.
    I figured it was a scam. I never responded.
    Thanks!!!!

Andrew Morgan to me
    show details Nov 6 (3 days ago)

--
    Hi,

This is Andrew Morgan from England.Am contacting you in regards to
    your wanted Ad placed over the internet.

I have the requested item(s) in very good and excellent condition.

My Mobile Number is +447024057129.

Thanks
    Andrew Morgan
    Fulham Road London SW3 6HR