Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dining table leaves

Dining table leaves

Twice in my life I've purchased a dining table. In both cases, the table without leaves would seat 4 to 6 people. But, apparently, in belief that I may need to join a polygamist commune, dining tables are typically sold with two or more leaves that will remain unused for the duration of my ownership. Now, assuming that I'm not unique, what, if any, creative uses have you folks found for these nicely finished, but useless and never to be used pieces of wood?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

RK Ryder
    Table leaves come in handy around our house. When we have our family Christmas party, we seat between 22-24 people, kids, spouses, sisters, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. That requires the kitchen table and dining room table put together in the kitchen, with all the table leaves being used. We set up a smaller table just to place the food.

When we just have our immediate family for birthdays, the two leaves in our kitchen table allow us to seat fourteen.

Thank goodness we have table leaves and that we are not a polygamist commune!

Maybe one day there will be a use for your table leaves.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Table leaves come in handy around our house. When we have our family Christmas party, we seat between 22-24 people, kids, spouses, sisters, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. That requires the kitchen table and dining room table put together in the kitchen, with all the table leaves being used. We set up a smaller table just to place the food.

When we just have our immediate family for birthdays, the two leaves in our kitchen table allow us to seat fourteen.

Thank goodness we have table leaves and that we are not a polygamist commune!

Maybe one day there will be a use for your table leaves.
    Paul,

OK, now I feel bad. Real bad. A whole life wasted. And, all I had to fill it was whinning about excess table leaves..........

Jon
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Depends.

Our's sit under the guest bed until we have to seat more than 8. Then they are brought out and put in.

I made them out of quarter swan oak. Re-used the base (it was still good).

We have friends that have a table that expands to seat 24, which is two less than their kids and grand kids. We only have 14 when everyone is home.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Gets used on holidays!

My D/R table came with four leaves that store right inside. Built by Amish in Maryland, fantastic quality.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Jeeeze, nobody had children and grand kids move back in?
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Jeeeze, nobody had children and grand kids move back in?
    Back in the day, I was too busy riding my k75

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Gets used on holidays!

My D/R table came with four leaves that store right inside. Built by Amish in Maryland, fantastic quality.
    That's what neat with our 200 year old+ Quebec pioneer kitchen table; the two leaves store underneath the main table top. Without the leaves, six easily sit around the table and then with the leaves, seating for 14. However, it does have one downside. Since it is so old, and folks used to be shorter, knee clearance is less than a table would have today. Tall guests who are unaccustomed to the table, sometimes bump their knees the first time they sit down for a meal.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

drgnhtr

We inherited ours

From my wife's grandmother. Nice custom table with 4 leaves that gets used for Thankgiving and such. Seats 12 or 14 with room to spare. Went down to LA for a family wedding, my wife's cousin. Dinner table was the same maker but 10 leaves. Everyone gets to sit at the table but you have to send a letter if you want the mashed potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by drgnhtr View Post
    From my wife's grandmother. Nice custom table with 4 leaves that gets used for Thankgiving and such. Seats 12 or 14 with room to spare. Went down to LA for a family wedding, my wife's cousin. Dinner table was the same maker but 10 leaves. Everyone gets to sit at the table but you have to send a letter if you want the mashed potatoes.
    Ten leaves?

I live in a Cape Cod style house. Ten leaves would stretch from wall to wall.

Not only is my garage inadequate. My house must be dinky.......

Well, no one has answered your question, "what, if any, creative uses have you folks found for these nicely finished, but useless and never to be used pieces of wood?" Seems that all the answers have ultimately just made you feel bad about not having the need for seating for friends and family. In effort to divert your mind from this seemingly depressing circumstance, I will first ask you to think of the times you've attended these large festive occassions and they have turned sour. Divorces were initiated, children disowned and firearms loaded. It is not all bad that your gatherings are necessarily... intimate. Next I will propose some alyernative uses for the unneeded chunks of finished wood: 1) You have a good start on an old fashioned wooden coffen. In fact, you may have enough to build a coffin for a pet. 2) Build a 2x4 frame and create a work bench, or if space is tight build one that is attached via hinges to a wall and will fold away. 3) Quietly place them on a neighbor's front porch, ring the bell and run.

More to follow.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

My dining table out on the deck has leaves all over it right now, sits 6 if needed
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    ...... made you feel bad about not having the need for seating for friends and family. In effort to divert your mind from this seemingly depressing circumstance.........
    Jeezus.......I feel like one of those wretched characters in a Frank McCourt novel..........

Just send me to the Island of Mis-fit Toys, already..

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    Depends.

Our's sit under the guest bed until we have to seat more than 8. Then they are brought out and put in.

I made them out of quarter swan oak. Re-used the base (it was still good).

We have friends that have a table that expands to seat 24, which is two less than their kids and grand kids. We only have 14 when everyone is home.
    Bud, if you store the leaves under a bed, I find it much less work to use full swan oak. Just pull out the table, get out your swan call, and the leaves will fly into place. This doesn't work, however, unless your swan call is made of oak. Now that I think about, quarter swan oak just might work but, for sure you have to have four leaves.

You're welcome.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Our leaves stay in 24/7...the dining room is about 15x20, and with out them, it looks silly.

Slightly related, when I was growing up as a poor white child, my dad made a table out of a 36x80 slab door; big enough for all 7 of us and a few extras that always seemed to be around!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT