Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Selection of Rally Sites.

Promoter problem?

I don't think the promoter was a problem or even the HD riders but I do believe the problem was the noise of the bikes. As most people know towns are getting tired of the noise more than anything else at the HD rallies and there are at least three HD rallies in MV or Cherokee every year and I would imagine it is starting to wear a bit thin. I personally have found the HD rallies in MV fairly accepable when campared to HD rallies at other sites. Look at Myrtle Beach!! All though the merchants are all in faovur of the rallies and MV and the surrounding area is very motorcycle friendly, I doubt if one could find a better place to bike in anywhere in the US, you have to remember that a lot of the citizens aren't merchants and you don't want to try to explain the trickle down effect.
    When the MOA gets a venue in the Asheville-MV area I'll be one of the first to sign up.
    Mo
    Mo Shaffer
    Maggie valley NC,
    St. George, BM

Quote Originally Posted by moshaffer View Post
    I don't think the promoter was a problem or even the HD riders but I do believe the problem was the noise of the bikes. As most people know towns are getting tired of the noise more than anything else at the HD rallies and there are at least three HD rallies in MV or Cherokee every year and I would imagine it is starting to wear a bit thin. I personally have found the HD rallies in MV fairly accepable when campared to HD rallies at other sites. Look at Myrtle Beach!! All though the merchants are all in faovur of the rallies and MV and the surrounding area is very motorcycle friendly, I doubt if one could find a better place to bike in anywhere in the US, you have to remember that a lot of the citizens aren't merchants and you don't want to try to explain the trickle down effect.
    When the MOA gets a venue in the Asheville-MV area I'll be one of the first to sign up.
    Mo
    I don't remember noise being the issue at least the promoter never mentioned it but it could have been an issue with the residents.
    Is there a place in Maggie Valley that can host 8-10K in attendance? Is there an indoor venue with A/C for vendors and seminars? I've only been a visitor there so I might have missed it. I just can't recall anything besides the area I mentioned in my previous posting.

Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    I've done two shows this past year at the location across from the Airport outside of Asheville. They abosulotly have enough room for an inside vending area this past year and their adding a considerable amount for next year. I would think the big problem there would be tent camping, the majority of the area is pretty much a hard surface, stone or asphalt.
    Is the covered exhibit space at the NC Ag Center now air conditioned? It was open air when I visited a couple years ago.

There is grass for camping, but it is backed up against I-26. But you're right, most of the flat space for camping is hard-pack or gravel.

I also have done an HD show in Maggie Valley and I spent a week there this past May. I really don't know of a location that could handle an MOA national. There's the field in the middle of town that has a stage. It could hold 3-4k people, maybe. Where would you shuttle people to? I'm unaware of any indoor location for vendors. Is there one? Also the promoter that does the HD rally there has had big problems with the town supervisors. I have no idea if he's the problem or the town.
    The shuttle would run up and down Soco Road (US19), along all the motels, campgrounds and restaurants.

The heart of the event would be the Maggie Valley Festival Grounds, the "field in the middle of town" you mentioned. it is secure, flat, grassy and has enough room for tent camping.

While there are some large buildings that could possibly be rented, I believe that it would be best for the vendor area be in rent-a-tents, placed in the front of the Festival Grounds. There are other large fields nearby for overflow camping/vending... plus tons of commercial campgrounds.

There are several areas with large parking lots right nearby (Ghost Town, the Dance Barn, etc.) for rider training, registration, etc.

The Eaglenest is probably the best bet for closing ceremonies, however, it might be a tight fit at 800 seats. There is a nice outdoor amphitheater right out back. this whole area could be the beer garden/entertainment/closing ceremonies center, and it is within walking (or crawling) distance from the tent camping area.

Like I said in my OP, a rally in Maggie Valley would not be exactly like the rallies we currently stage, but I bet that our members would really enjoy the venue and city fathers would welcome a *quiet* motorcycle event.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

There is one large building ( large enough to pull tractor trailers in ) at the NC Ag grounds that is AC and the "open building" you mentioned is being enclosed right now and will also have AC.
    When I participated in the HD rally a few years ago at the Maggie Valley fairgrounds they had about 2 dozen smaller vendors like myself and at night they had about 3K in attendance for a concert. I can tell you first hand that place was close to capacity and no one except for myself and a few other vendors camp there. If those 3K had tents the place would have been jammed.
    I'm simply no fan of shuttling people around, they have done that at a few of the events that I attend like Daytona Speedway for bike week and most simply do not take it.
    I'm not that familiar with some of the other area's you mentioned but since the national is held in the middle of summer I would doubt that Ghost Town would be very willing to give up any parking area in prime tourist season and the other area you described for closing ceremonies and the beer garden simply are not close to being big enough.
    I love Maggie Valley and it is indeed a beautiful location with great ridding through out the area. It would be a great location for an RA rally but I really do think they do not have nearly the adequate facilities to host a MOA national.

I love Maggie Valley and it is indeed a beautiful location with great ridding through out the area. It would be a great location for an RA rally but I really do think they do not have nearly the adequate facilities to host a MOA national.
    Here is a map.

Ghost Town is closed.... out of business (it was poorly financed). arrangements for use of parking lot might be possible, it might be that this place isn't even needed.

Concerts would not be in the camping area, one would have to walk a few hundred yards to Eaglesnest... it would do us good! if ya don't want to take the shuttle, walk or ride your bike.

Eaglesnest is an 18 acre facility with an outdoor stage and a huge parking lot, in addition to the indoor arena. if that isn't big enough, i'd be amazed.

like i've said from the beginning, this event wouldn't be the same as what we've been staging. people might mingle in the camping areas and in the community areas of their hotels... (there are tons of inexpensive mom/pop-style park-outside-your-door motels). you might have to park that big-a$$ed motorhome of yours in one of the nearby commercial campgrounds.

ian

ps => i will go revisit the Ag Center. Crap, i rode past there not two weekends ago. Surprising that my AVL CVB contact hadn't mentioned these facility improvements.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Here is a map.

. you might have to park that big-a$$ed motorhome of yours in one of the nearby commercial campgrounds.

At least I would have lots of company with the other 5-7K people that wouldn't fit into the fairgrounds
    By the way as of this past year no one is now allowed to camp there as per some of my friends who did the HD show this past spring.
    I think a good way to sample Maggie Valley might be with a MOA fall regional event. Seems there's lots of interest in a fall event and I couldn't think of a better location in the SE to do it. Outside of something like that I just don't see it working.

I think a good way to sample Maggie Valley might be with a MOA fall regional event. Seems there's lots of interest in a fall event and I couldn't think of a better location in the SE to do it..
    I think we have qualified good idea there!
    It could be a very well-attended regional event in the Spring or Fall.
    Onward, through the fog!

I've always thought this place would make an awesome rally site - sure cannot beat the riding and history of the area...

View Larger Map

Has tons of space for camping, over 40,000 indoor square feet for vendors, is centrally located for east coast/midwest riders and right next to a highway for easy access, tons of inexpensive motels nearby, and is smack-dab in the middle of some of the best riding on the east coast. Matter of fact, it sits on Rt. 219 (which originally was an Elk and Buffalo migration trail from waaaaaay back when), an excellent riding road from Colonial days that winds its way north all the way to Buffalo. Here is what one writer had to say about it:
    It is probably one of the four or five single most beautiful stretches of road in North America: the drive up US 219 in West Virginia's Monongahela National Forest area.
    And yeas, I would probably fight the urge to stay at the Greenbrier (5 miles away) and camp ;-)
    Last edited by Ted; 11-17-2010 at 05:04 PM.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by RevWillie View Post
    I think we have qualified good idea there!
    It could be a very well-attended regional event in the Spring or Fall.
    maybe the hotels there will be cheap enough. most likely we could find something in our price range.

i found a stellar place for a regional event in the N. GA mountains, pencilled in a weekend in the height of fall color, and arranged with the very nice adjoining campground for some blocks of spaces..... but the whole package was judged too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I've always thought this place would make an awesome rally site - sure cannot beat the riding and history of the area...

View Larger Map
    that looks excellent at first blush. the riding is awesome.

I just called and the State Fair isn't until August so it is usually available I would happily volunteer to go do a site check!

that looks excellent at first blush. the riding is awesome.
    It is indeed, hit the "Ter" button and zoom out for a good idea - you cannot throw a rock without hitting a great road, and the area is simply steeped in history, from the days when it was the frontier through the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War, the Civil War (or "War between the States" LoL), the Coal Wars, the oppulence of Bramwell and the sulphur springs era, and on. Then there are things like the amazing fly fishing, tubing on the New River, hiking, etc.

The site itself is walking distance to a major hospital, a mall, and a downtown filled with shops and restaurants. And the best part - St. Louis, Chicago, Atlanta, and Boston are all within a long day's ride.
    Last edited by Ted; 11-17-2010 at 05:06 PM.
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

...the Civil War (or "War between the States" LoL)
    i do believe you mean the war of northern aggression?

Thumbs up

I just called and the State Fair isn't until August so it is usually available I would happily volunteer to go do a site check!

It is indeed - you cannot throw a rock without hitting a great road, and the area is simply steeped in history, from the days when it was the frontier through the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War, the Civil War (or "War between the States" LoL), the Coal Wars, the oppulence of Bramwell and the sulphur springs era, and on. Then there are things like the amazing fly fishing, tubing on the New River, hiking, etc.

The site itself is walking distance to a major hospital, a mall, and a downtown filled with shops and restaurants. And the best part - St. Louis, Chicago, Atlanta, and Boston are all within a long day's ride.
    Any place that can hold a state fair can easily handle our national. This does indeed look like a promising location.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    i do believe you mean the war of northern aggression?
    Statements such as this will not bode well for you at the boarder crossing (Mason Dixon Line) next year!

One of the great things about West Virginia is that its history is not plowed under by big box stores and shopping malls. Many years ago I came across the once internationally renowned Sweet Springs Resort. It was first developed in the 1700's and played host to the wealthy and powerful of the opulent Golden Era (including 6 Presidents and Queen Victoria...) I stumbled across it a decade or more ago, saddened by its decline and abandonment. I am very happy to say that I just stumbled across an article discussing its restoration with involvement of the National Historic Trust.

Were the rally to be in Lewisburg this (and the ever-amazing Rt. 311 it sits upon) would be a great destination.

View Larger Map
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages