Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Selection of Rally Sites.

Quote Originally Posted by GrafikFeat View Post
    Yes. So... Instead of going to a private venue, such as a fairground, convention center etc. Why not use a town as the "Center" of the rally?
    I don't know about you but I've met the nicest people in the smallest towns.
    Towns w/ 2000 and under... Usually have some sort of a visitors center.
    If in fact the whole town was involved camping would be through out the town/hamlet. Schools would be out so perhaps they could be used for talks etc.
    I don't see how a town under 2000 would have the infrastructure that would support increasing their size 4 fold overnight. Pretty much impossible.
    I think this idea of having a rally in a town square or something similar would be great for a local club or possibly a regional but for a national seems pretty unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    In the case of Bloomsburg, the Fairgrounds, the rally site is part of the town. Plus its quick to get out of town in 8 differant drections.

I would think its a wise move to include a town so they too can benefit economically.
    Speaking of Bloomsburg when I visited last summer it did have a small town feel. It helps that there is a college campus at the opposite end of town than the fairground.

It has a much more of a small town feel (the area around the rally site) than any of the recent rallies I've attended.

Rhinebeck, NY also has a small town feel.

Essex Junction didn't even though it was in Vermont.

For me the small town feel comes from not having a wal-mart of other gaggle of big box stores next to the site.

I gotta say Bloomsburg is a great site for so many reasons, one of the best in years topped only by Vermont, but that's my New England bias on display.

I bet Bloomsburg will set the attendance record and thankfully the site can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    Just a passing thought, but some of the State Colleges rent out their dorms in the summer, I think. I remember the Retreads group that my parents belonged to back in the 80's used to attend a rally at Slippery Rock State College. Not sure how suitable such a location might be for a group our size, but it would provide a 'rally centre', climate controlled facilities, beds and lots of showers/bathrooms. Dunno if they'd also allow camping on the grounds...
    I had suggested the same thing several years ago, but no one responded. My bicycle club hosted the national bicycle rally at Michigan State University many years ago, using the dorms and food service. Riding was available in any direction. There were plenty of class rooms for seminars. Even though school may be in session, it's hardly the number of students you see during the regular school year. The rally was a huge success. Since that time the exhibition facilities at the University have grown tremendously.
    Dan

Near New Orleans..

I was lead on starting the HOG rally for Louisiana. We started at Chicot (chee-ko) State Park up in Ville Platte!!!! It still is going on!!!

Hey guys and gals in Louisiana..Here's a freshly opened State Park..near New Orleans!
    7777 Westbank Expressway, Westwego, LA 70094
    504-736-7140 or 888-677-2296 toll free
    For reservations, call 1-877-CAMP-N-LA (877-226-7652) toll free.
    Email: bayousegnette@crt.state.la.us

HODAG
    didn't we do a town type rally, the split venue rally.
    the one where the beer tent blew down??

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    I don't see how a town under 2000 would have the infrastructure that would support increasing their size 4 fold overnight. Pretty much impossible.
    I think this idea of having a rally in a town square or something similar would be great for a local club or possibly a regional but for a national seems pretty unrealistic.
    How so?
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Maybe one of the Board Members who happen on this thread can cause the basic rally selection site criteria - x acres for camping, y hotel rooms, z sq.ft. of exhibit space, xx porta potties, yy showers, etc. to somehow get posted here.

Also an outline for the process to suggest/consider/investigate potential sites so members with candidate towns can see what the needs are.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Maybe one of the Board Members who happen on this thread can cause the basic rally selection site criteria - x acres for camping, y hotel rooms, z sq.ft. of exhibit space, xx porta potties, yy showers, etc. to somehow get posted here.

Also an outline for the process to suggest/consider/investigate potential sites so members with candidate towns can see what the needs are.
    Somebody had done that before, but I can't remember what thread it was in.
    I'll search.
    EDIT: this was the closest thing I could find.
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showpost...9&postcount=63
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Wasn't the Charleston, WV rally a city wide fiasco?.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Wasn't the Charleston, WV rally a city wide fiasco?.
    Depends on who you talk to.

I camped at the campus, walked to the beer tent (both before and after it blew down and was put back up), rode downtown to the convention center for seminars and vendor stuff, and had a thoroughly good time.

Folks who stayed in the motels or camped down by the homeless settlement were remote from the beer garden - but that is true for motel visitors often when the beer is at the fairgrounds and the motel is the next town away.

The shuttle bus service didn't work as promised because management forgot to talk to the union and after a certain length of time the drivers parked the busses and quit driving.

So there was a lot of grumbling, shouting, and general intimidation of the Board by some members, and the Board generally heard only that side of the issues. That was to the detriment of BMW MOA because it made folks afraid to break out of the traditional fairgrounds/camping in the mud model for the rally.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

How so?
    Think about it. Do you really think a town the size you described of 2K could handle an additional 8K people for three days?
    Just seems highly unlikely to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    Think about it. Do you really think a town the size you described of 2K could handle an additional 8K people for three days?
    Just seems highly unlikely to me.
    The curious could ask Sturgis, SD how a town of 6,000 hosts a few hundred thousand bikers every August.

Apples and oranges or grapefruit, but a good question anyway.

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    I'm just thinkin' outside the box, gate, fairground, convention center or what not.
    Since I really don't know...Shooting it as it comes out of the gate seems kinda silly.
    Small towns have County Fairs all the time.

Towns have all sorts of meeting places... Churches, Synagogues, ELK Lodges whatever.
    Hell ya can even have seminars/talks outside.

Towns have parks, ball fields, soccer fields etc. so camping could be viable.
    Not to mention a farmer w/ a idle field.
    Who knows?

The question of registration came up...
    Couldn't that be done online now w/ a printable pass?
    Of course it could be by mail too for the other four members not online.

I just think taking over a whole town would be kinda cool...
    There certainly are enough in this Country who could use the 'foldin' money'.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Not to mention a farmer w/ a idle field.
    ooh! ooh! Woodstock!

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Depends on who you talk to.

I camped at the campus, walked to the beer tent (both before and after it blew down and was put back up), rode downtown to the convention center for seminars and vendor stuff, and had a thoroughly good time.

Folks who stayed in the motels or camped down by the homeless settlement were remote from the beer garden - but that is true for motel visitors often when the beer is at the fairgrounds and the motel is the next town away.

The shuttle bus service didn't work as promised because management forgot to talk to the union and after a certain length of time the drivers parked the busses and quit driving.

So there was a lot of grumbling, shouting, and general intimidation of the Board by some members, and the Board generally heard only that side of the issues. That was to the detriment of BMW MOA because it made folks afraid to break out of the traditional fairgrounds/camping in the mud model for the rally.
    I agree with Paul. If you camped at the college downtown, you had shade, indoor bathrooms, dorm rooms for the tent-deprived, on-campus dining rooms, and the BEER TENT. We had a great view of the river and the Governor's Mansion across the river. Getting to downtown and the vendors/seminars was a problem, and the rally felt sorta dis-jointed. Driving around Charleston was OK for small city driving but the roads in WV were a lot of fun. Despite the scattered venues and the mini-tornado that hit us, I had fun at the rally.
    Onward, through the fog!