Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81

Thread: The Selection of Rally Sites.

  1. #1
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,524

    The Selection of Rally Sites.

    I was wondering about this... All the discussions have been over 'venues' to host our rally.
    Has it ever been considered to select a 'Town'?
    Yes. A whole town.
    We all know there are some really small towns in some really beautiful settings in this country.
    With the economy what it is... Perhaps a town could/would in fact welcome us.

    Input? Thoughts? ...Or am I...
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  2. #2
    Registered User nplenzick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Warrington, Pa.
    Posts
    370
    For the most part towns do participate now. Most of the past Nationals I've been to have been very close to towns such as this past year in Redmond and next year in Bloomsburg.
    Now if your asking if a national could be held in the middle of a town I really don't see how that would be possible unless that town had a location that could house 6-10 K people in one centralized location.
    Color in the Catskills is sort of in a town so to speak. It's a ski resort pretty much in the middle of Hunter NY. and it's possible that a place like this could host a national. I just think the choices would be very limited however I'm sure that some are considered.
    The GWRRA holds there national in the middle of cities, but that's pretty much a hotel/motel group and to be perfectly honest with you I still don't understand why any group would want subject it's members to city traffic. It seems to work for them though.

  3. #3
    Rally Rat CATHDEAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Round Rock, Texas
    Posts
    570

    Easy Rider route

    Through my Hometown, Franklin, Louisiana.. ends way North by Simsport at the "cafe scene".....


    The Cafe building was there a few years back.. and a lot has changed.. and a lot is still the same...

    Interesting trivia.. the whole movie they are going "away" from New Orleans and Mardi Gras... but you'd have to know the area to know that... The reason being, they usually did not ... ahem.... "recover" from the previous evening of partying/planning" so the Sun was in the wrong place...

    Also, in front of the "Ben Franklin" store the American flag is being flown upside down.. yeah.. this was during Vietnam...

    Ride Easy..

  4. #4
    Ritalin Poster Boy rob nye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bristol, Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    For the most part towns do participate now. Most of the past Nationals I've been to have been very close to towns such as this past year in Redmond and next year in Bloomsburg.
    Now if your asking if a national could be held in the middle of a town I really don't see how that would be possible unless that town had a location that could house 6-10 K people in one centralized location.
    Color in the Catskills is sort of in a town so to speak. It's a ski resort pretty much in the middle of Hunter NY. and it's possible that a place like this could host a national. I just think the choices would be very limited however I'm sure that some are considered.
    The GWRRA holds there national in the middle of cities, but that's pretty much a hotel/motel group and to be perfectly honest with you I still don't understand why any group would want subject it's members to city traffic. It seems to work for them though.
    FWIW, Hunter could not handle a National.

    Not enough rooms. Enough beds perhaps but rooms, no.
    Not enough level campging space.
    Not enough indoor space (or outdoor space) for vendors.

    It would be perfect for the RA though.

  5. #5
    2 Wheeled Troubador oldhway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    SE Connecticut
    Posts
    4,134
    Quote Originally Posted by GrafikFeat View Post
    I was wondering about this... All the discussions have been over 'venues' to host our rally.
    Has it ever been considered to select a 'Town'?
    Yes. A whole town.
    We all know there are some really small towns in some really beautiful settings in this country.
    With the economy what it is... Perhaps a town could/would in fact welcome us.

    Input? Thoughts? ...Or am I...
    Didn't the Harley guys try that at Hollister 50 years ago?
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

  6. #6
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhway View Post
    Didn't the Harley guys try that at Hollister 50 years ago?
    I dunno... I'm looking forward.

    http://www.city-data.com/

    Pick a town... Any town...
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  7. #7
    Registered User nplenzick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Warrington, Pa.
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    FWIW, Hunter could not handle a National.

    Not enough rooms. Enough beds perhaps but rooms, no.
    Not enough level campging space.
    Not enough indoor space (or outdoor space) for vendors.

    It would be perfect for the RA though.
    Your right. That shows you just how tough it would be to have a rally of this size close to a town center. At least in a town the size you would want to ride to.

  8. #8
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,524
    Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    At least in a town the size you would want to ride to.
    Is it the town... Or the Rally?

    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  9. #9
    High & Dry statdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the Endless Mountains
    Posts
    2,730

    Thumbs up Both

    Quote Originally Posted by GrafikFeat View Post
    Is it the town... Or the Rally?

    In the case of Bloomsburg, the Fairgrounds, the rally site is part of the town. Plus its quick to get out of town in 8 differant drections.

    I would think its a wise move to include a town so they too can benefit economically.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

  10. #10
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,690
    My view is a rally is held in a locale - which is comprised of a city or town, some type of central facility, space to camp, exhibition and gathering space, lots of hotel rooms, and a surrounding area of suitable appeal to motorcycle riders. At the really good locations the local business community is involved and supportive, bringing in extra stuff to meet ralliers needs - coolers, camping chairs, food, etc. In most locations we are a curiosity publicized by the local paper and gawked at by the resident population. I have been at every rally except one since 1984 and never felt unwelcome at any place we had a rally.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  11. #11
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,524
    Yes. So... Instead of going to a private venue, such as a fairground, convention center etc. Why not use a town as the "Center" of the rally?
    I don't know about you but I've met the nicest people in the smallest towns.
    Towns w/ 2000 and under... Usually have some sort of a visitors center.
    If in fact the whole town was involved camping would be through out the town/hamlet. Schools would be out so perhaps they could be used for talks etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    I would think its a wise move to include a town so they too can benefit economically.
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    My view is a rally is held in a locale - which is comprised of a city or town, some type of central facility, space to camp, exhibition and gathering space, lots of hotel rooms, and a surrounding area of suitable appeal to motorcycle riders. At the really good locations the local business community is involved and supportive, bringing in extra stuff to meet ralliers needs - coolers, camping chairs, food, etc. In most locations we are a curiosity publicized by the local paper and gawked at by the resident population. I have been at every rally except one since 1984 and never felt unwelcome at any place we had a rally.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  12. #12
    Billings in 2015 Sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    2,023
    How would you secure the camping area, so all of the campers would be able to leave their personal items in their tents?

    How would you collect registration fees (which fund our events) if it is out in the open?

    You have an intriguing idea. How would you realistically implement it, knowing that without collecting registrations, there would be no revenue?
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

  13. #13
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,524
    Ever camp in a public camp ground? How were your items secured?

    My idea was leaning towards a really 'small' town.

    Fees would be the same. Pay and get banded.
    No band... No seminar.
    Music/Entertainment? Freebie for the town folks as part of the 'hosting'.

    The concept is doable...
    The question is where.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  14. #14
    Registered User clowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Oakville, ON
    Posts
    1,897
    Just a passing thought, but some of the State Colleges rent out their dorms in the summer, I think. I remember the Retreads group that my parents belonged to back in the 80's used to attend a rally at Slippery Rock State College. Not sure how suitable such a location might be for a group our size, but it would provide a 'rally centre', climate controlled facilities, beds and lots of showers/bathrooms. Dunno if they'd also allow camping on the grounds...

  15. #15
    "Jack" jacko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    "Jackass Hollow" Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    Just a passing thought, but some of the State Colleges rent out their dorms in the summer, I think. I remember the Retreads group that my parents belonged to back in the 80's used to attend a rally at Slippery Rock State College. Not sure how suitable such a location might be for a group our size, but it would provide a 'rally centre', climate controlled facilities, beds and lots of showers/bathrooms. Dunno if they'd also allow camping on the grounds...
    Probably most of the state or larger colleges have classes all year around but small ones like the one in Canton ,Missouri (Culver-Stockton) might be possible.
    Jack Watson
    BMWMOA #125089
    2014 K1600GTL
    2013 C650GT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •