Thread: Olympia AST vs X-moto vs Rev'It Sand vs?

Olympia AST vs X-moto vs Rev'It Sand vs?

I'm sure I am just one of thousands looking for that perfect jacket and pants which provide real protection in a crash, keep us warm in temps above freezing, keep us coolish when the temps are in the 90's F., and are not that difficult (or slow) to change from one format to another.

My current riding gear (leather jacket which zips to leather pants, or Firstgear mesh jacket and the leather pants held up by suspenders) require also taking outer rain gear on a tour.

While I have only seen serious endorsement of the Olympia X-Moto by Greenwald, I certainly respect his opinion.

My question is how does the X-Moto compare to the Olympia AST and the Rev"It Sand, which have all received many rave reviews. There are almost certainly upsides and downsides to all these garments and I would like to hear them before spending my bucks on what will likely be my last riding suit. (Hey, I'm 63.)

If you have experienced preferences beyond the three listed above, your comments are most welcome too.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Smile gear

go to local BMW dealer and buy bmw they are the best

Quote Originally Posted by ashley12 View Post
    go to local BMW dealer and buy bmw they are the best
    Maybe. I've low sided wearing a 'stich roadcrafter and also wearing a BMW Rallye 2 Pro. The damage was equivalent. Slightly more to the R2P but I was going slightly faster. In both cases a small patch was about all that was needed to keep on riding.

But.... the 'stich is about 8 years old and I'd guess it still has many years of life left. The R2P won't make it 5 years. At 4 years I've already patched the inside of the pants twice to hold the armor in place and had the jacket gortex liner replaced within the first two years (warranty replacement) because of wear.

The BMW gear is nice, but it doesn't have the longevity I expect for gear costing as much as it does. I see more Aerostich gear in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    ...The BMW gear is nice, but it doesn't have the longevity I expect for gear costing as much as it does. I see more Aerostich gear in my future.
    I like the overall quality of BMW gear ... EXCEPT for the undersized zippers they consistently use in their clothing. And that, in my experience, has been the weak point.
    Dan

Oh. Yeah. I had to replace the zipper on my R2P jacket, too.

Rally Rat
    I agree with the zipper issue. I replaced the zipper om my Savanna-2 BMW jacket and now I like it 42 times better.

BMW has great products, but I'm not sure that they are a great value considering the gear available today at as much as 1/2 the price.
    Last edited by wzellwzell@yahoo.com; 11-05-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: wording change

Quote Originally Posted by ashley12 View Post
    Go to your local banker and establish a line of credit and then go to local BMW dealer and buy bmw they are the best
    Fixed!!!
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost