Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My First Flat Tire

BUDDINGGEEZER
    I plugged a new Metzler rear 600 miles from home. I didn't really trust it and stopped by WalMart and bought Green Slime. Called a buddy that owns a tire store and asked if GS hurt aluminum wheels. He said no, just messy. Finished my trip 2200 miles later. Sold the bike with 8K miles on that tire.

Ralph Sims

Why does it seem that it is almost always the rear tire that gets punctured?
    One theory is that the front will stand the nail/screw/staple up for the rear wheel to pick up.
    Mark

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkr View Post
    One theory is that the front will stand the nail/screw/staple up for the rear wheel to pick up.
    That is it exactly. I have had only one flat front in 35 years of riding.

Scott
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    In the nearly 50 yrs I've been using plugs and patches I've never had one of either leak or fail- they last the life of the rubber.

You're not going to get a blowout if an appropriately done plug fails (but you might get another flat in the middle of the desert.

If you plug a small hole and it fails you will get slow leak which will give you plenty of time to notice and slow/stop! If you are foolish enough to jam multiple plugs in a gaping hole as anything other than a very temporary fix you probably have enough loose screws that something else will get you if the plugs don't.
    My experience exactly except I didn't get my drivers license until 48 years ago. If a single plug won't plug the leak, the hole is large enough that the tire should be thrown away anyway. I've worn out a couple of motorcycle rear tires with plugs in them with no problem of any kind.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.