Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Storing a motorcycle lift

Storing a motorcycle lift

I have a small shop but I want to buy a lift. I was going to get the typical Harbor Freight lift, but I would need to store it on end against a wall. Would that be reasonable with the HF lift?
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

I have one of those and it is heavy, maybe 300#. There is just enough room in front of my wife's car to store it flat.
    2007 R1200RT
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000
    Iron Butt #24605

I have a Handy Lift, and I'd put the weight at ~350+ lbs -- hard to move around on the ground, even with the two-wheel dolly. No way you are going to want to be periodically tyring to pick it up or turn it up on its side.

I also have a cramped garage and needed a lift storage solution. I do not have sheetrock on the ceiling of the garage, so the roof trusses are open. My solution was to pick up a HF electric winch during one of their sales, and hang it ~ 4 feet up in the trusses (where some truss cross-braces meet) from an 8-foot length of 2" pipe which spans four trusses to spread the load. When the lift is not in use, it is winched up to the bottom of the roof trusses. If your garage has a finished ceiling, you could do the same thing with a hole in the sheetrock (trimmed out nicely, of course ).
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

This thread should be some help to you http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ighlight=lifts Especially the last half of the thread. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I was starting to get excited about the overhead storage idea until I realized that most of the ceiling is taken up by the garage door.

I've thought about cutting a hole in the floor for the lift but that would limit the location.

I may just have to go with a Kendon lift and deal with the extra cost and the limitations of not having a lift that works with the center stand.

Some folks don't store their lift, they just park a bike on it when it's not otherwise in use. Don't know if that will work for you. If I had a little more room in my garage that's what I'd do.

Maybe you could put some ramps on the sides of the lift to drive the car up on...

I have a 4 post car lift, works double duty as a bike lift by using straps. Bonus is, I store my fastback on top & my son's 90 GT underneath!

I'm currently converting a horse barn to a garage/shop. When I poured the cement I left a recess for my Handy-Lift to sit flush so I can place a car over it if need be. Previously I did as others suggested and parked the bike on it.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I was starting to get excited about the overhead storage idea until I realized that most of the ceiling is taken up by the garage door.
    In my case, it's an HO trainset. It's on a 4x8 sheet of plywood that is above my car.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Garage Envy

To: JStrube

Re: Garage Envy

Thanks a lot for screwing up my day. Now I'll be dreaming about garage lifts all day. It's not that I hate you, it's that I hate that you have a garage lift and I don't. And, I do not have any especially cool cars to place on said lift. At least you did not attach any pictures showing off your garage and lift; I can be thankful for that.

So next time you want to brag about your, "Garage Lift,"don't show any pictures that would make me even more envious than I already am. So there!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus214 View Post
    To: JStrube

Re: Garage Envy

Thanks a lot for screwing up my day. Now I'll be dreaming about garage lifts all day. It's not that I hate you, it's that I hate that you have a garage lift and I don't. And, I do not have any especially cool cars to place on said lift. At least you did not attach any pictures showing off your garage and lift; I can be thankful for that.

So next time you want to brag about your, "Garage Lift,"don't show any pictures that would make me even more envious than I already am. So there!
    I'll try harder next time!

Quote Originally Posted by cathdeac View Post
    Maybe you could put some ramps on the sides of the lift to drive the car up on...
    Actually, I built the bikes their own shed. Insulated, heated and no stinking lawn tools, bicycles or other such riff-raff. Unfortunately I should have made it a bit larger. Live and learn.

I don't often do it but I can park my Ford Explorer right over my Handy Lift provided I don't go so far forward that the wheel vice interferes. Can't do it with the Saturn SC1 though.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Actually, I built the bikes their own shed. Insulated, heated and no stinking lawn tools, bicycles or other such riff-raff. Unfortunately I should have made it a bit larger. Live and learn.
    You should always build it bigger than you first think.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.