Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The *new* new G650GS

dhgeyer
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I'll comment on the alloy wheels issue. One morning a couple years ago, beside the road near Chicken, Alaska, as I was replacing the punctured tube in the rear wheel of my travel-loaded F650 Funduro, I declared to Voni, God, and the world that I would never again buy a bike with tube-type tires (tyres for some of you) that had to be removed to repair. I don't like late 19th century/early 20th century technology. (Michelin, 1895; Strauss, 1911)

When BMW came out with the F800GS twin and F650GSreallyan800butwecallit650 twin I was almost ready checkbook in hand to buy an F800GS but didn't because of those silly spoked wheels and tube-type tires. On that issue alone if I do decide to buy one of these it will be the one called the 650 due to alloy wheels and tubeless tires.

I do understand that this will somewhat limit the bike's ability to be ridden off cliffs or through pot holes in Cleveland or New York City but I generally avoid doing that anyway.

i wonder if it has the same POS water pump design as the original single cyl F650GS, you know the one where the water pump fails every 20,000 miles or so.

if it has an updated water pump design i'll trade my '07 F650GS in tomorrow, but if they kept the same water pump design then i'll pass on the new G650GS.

otherwise i think it is a nice looking bike and as already been said i do like the fact the bike has moved out of the past and now has tubeless tires.
    Last edited by nytrashman; 10-30-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Being a current xchallenge rider I think I may have found my next bike! More fuel range, alloy wheels, a bit lower-yeah, looks like the ticket. Love my x and have done some long trips on it--only gripes are the fuel tank and small choice of tires---and the seat designed by the guy that taught torture techniques to the KGB. Now to find out if I can take off the Ohlins and remus and keep them for the 650gs along with my dirt bagz. I think I will stop by Ironhorse BMW today and see what is up with this new GS!!

Alloy wheels suprised me too, AK. They are so hard to relace and true after a thumping.

Maybe not as hard as one may think. My old 1150R had much more intricate alloy rims and after bending them both, I stripped them down, sent them off UPS to a repair shop. 2 weeks later, including shipping time both ways, I had the rims back good as new. I did luck out though that the dents in them were between the double spoke set up. If they had been closer, may have lost the rim. The rims on the new bike look to have single spokes, so would be even easier to get between them to straighten out dents. I was able to save both of my rims for much less than replacing just one with a used rim. And the worse of the two had started to flatten out in a spot, so needed some good massaging I imagine.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

FWIW I was being a bit sarcastic with my alloy wheel comment.

I like this updated version of the G 650 GS alloy wheels and all. The alloys on my Roadster have served me well enough for the off road adventuring I do now. A lighter more nimble G GS will be more benefit if I were to make the switch and not having to deal with tubes would be a plus.

My guess is BMWÔÇÖs alloy decision was helped along by the markets that it sells the most of these in.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by Troutluck View Post
    We should assume the cast wheels are an easy retrofit, I'm guessing?
    From the new G650 to the old G650 - maybe.

Not from the new F650itsan800GS to the F800GS. Possible yes - anything is possible including a Hyabusa front end on an Airhead.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

i wonder if the new G650 cast wheels will fit on an older single cyl F650?

Gas Tank Capacity

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Don't think gallons, think range. The range is about 220 miles, assuming an average of 3.9 l/100km or about 60 MPG. The printed specs say about 73 MPG at 56 MPH and 55 MPG at 75 MPH.
    I understand that range is what we are really after, however I do not take a lot of stock in gas mileage claims. A lot of the time I am not riding at optimal fuel efficiency RPM.

If I was a bike designer, I would be looking for every nook and cranny to get more fuel capacity. I guarantee I can find space under and around that Tupperware for another 0.5 to 1 gallon.
    04 R1100s (gone), 92 K75s, 97 F650st

The other day I spoke to a dealership about the G650 GS bike and was told they didn't have any in stock and this wasn't the first dealer that didn't have a G650 GS in stock. This one particular dealer when I asked when they might have one in stock I was informed that they didn't know because the G650 GS had engine problems...

I talked to another dealer and asked the question if indeed the G650 GS had engine problems because no one seemed to have any G650 GS in stock and that person said that they have not heard about it and if that was true he would have heard/read about it...

My question is.... is this new G650 GS that is coming out because the old G650 GS did indeed have engine problems????

BMW doesn't want to admit and one can't prove me wrong but water pumps are a big problem... and dealerships do not even want to admit as all you hear is oh we never have a problem with water pumps... like nytrashman said... they better get rid of the water pump problems... because of the water pump the the design... I would have a hard time purchasing the bike as I have a bitter taste towards the water pump issues right now.... on top of that... I am not too much impressed with dealerships either at this moment of time too...

I do like the style of the bike though as well as the rims.

I rode a 650 for the first time.....

as a demo when the dealer was servicing my R1100S..

I was favorable impressed, good handling, good braking, easy to ride...
    this offering should be the right thing for the right person.

I personally don't think much of the over all beeky look. I'm with you all on fenders.

I do like cast wheels.

I think this is aiming at beginners or folks that don't want to toss around on a "big" 800 or 1200 but want to ride like they do. Im cool with that.

I'm in favor of getting people out to ride.. and in favor of building a retro "70's bike.

The 650 felt really naked and small to me.. was glad to get back on my S.

I'm really glad BMW still builds bikes.. the last chain drive I rode and drove prior to this was a 74 CB550 and was glad to trade it for a R90S.

jim dahl, ketchikan, alaska
    I like good stuff. No Chains here!
    1960 R50 -"Hanz"
    1977 R75/7 -"Gertie"
    2004 R1100s -"RFAR1"

Given Mr. Glaves comments on tube tires, does this mean that the F650s with wire wheels don't have the tubeless spoked rims like R1200 Adventure has?

BTW I agree about tube tires. Since nearly all tires are designed to be run tubeless, and have those nifty stiff carcasses, having to wrestle a tubeless tire carcass off a rim to replace a tube seems way too painful.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Given Mr. Glaves comments on tube tires, does this mean that the F650s with wire wheels don't have the tubeless spoked rims like R1200 Adventure has?

BTW I agree about tube tires. Since nearly all tires are designed to be run tubeless, and have those nifty stiff carcasses, having to wrestle a tubeless tire carcass off a rim to replace a tube seems way too painful.
    Yes - the F bikes (single cylinder) that have spoked wheels - do NOT use tubeless tires. They use tubes.

That applies to the F650 Funduro, the F650GS and Dakar bikes. I think the CS had cast wheels and tubeless tires. It also applies to the G650 bikes up to the "new" G650 with cast wheels which is the subject of this thread.

As for the F twins - the F800S, F800ST, and the F650GSbut its reallyan800 have cast wheels and tubeless tires; the F800GS has spokes and tubes.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    When BMW came out with the F800GS twin and F650GSreallyan800butwecallit650 twin I was almost ready checkbook in hand to buy an F800GS but didn't because of those silly spoked wheels and tube-type tires. On that issue alone if I do decide to buy one of these it will be the one called the 650 due to alloy wheels and tubeless tires.
    I would have really liked to have seen the same type of spoked wheels that the GSA has wioth the tubless tires, but it was not a deal breaker for me. The F800GS is too good of a bike to let that one issue stop me from owning and enjoying it.

I would really like to be able to upgrade the wheels, but that seems to be outside the realm of possibility at this time. It's too bad BMW didn't at least offer it as an upgrade option for those who felt it was worth the cost, thus keeping the base price down for those who want a lower purchase price.

It would appear that the new updated G650GS is aimed at a more entry level rider, and Its doubtful that such a person would need or benefit from spoked wheels. Very few would end up thrashing it out on a rough trail where they might suffer damage to the cast rims. Those who would can probably swap the wheels out with the older F/G650GSs. I'm betting there will be a few owners of the previous versions who would jump at a chance to trade wheels.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    I would have really liked to have seen the same type of spoked wheels that the GSA has wioth the tubless tires, but it was not a deal breaker for me. The F800GS is too good of a bike to let that one issue stop me from owning and enjoying it.
    It was for me. There are just too many good bikes available that use tubeless tires for me to want to spend a lot of money and then get to go back to hauling tire irons, patch kits and spare tubes - especially when we "live on" the bikes all over North America all summer.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 11-02-2010 at 07:15 PM.

There were just too many good features of the F800GS that far out wieghed the downside of the tubes. The other bike options were not as appealing enough for me for various reasons for me to choose them based merely upon them having tubeless tires.

It seems we all make decisions of compromise to get the best fit for us as individuals. Thus, there is a good market niche for each of the GSs including this new updated G650GS.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.