Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hospitality committee needs your input

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke
    Without a doubt, the best and fastest way for you to meet some new folks and REALLY feel like you are part of the family is to volunteer.

Do it early, so you can meet new folks right away, and then do another shift later in the week, somewhere else, to meet another whole different group. Before you know it, you will have new friends who might live a thousand miles away from you.

These BMW rallies are like family-reunions ... on STEROIDS. The more places you volunteer, the more people you will get to know, and the more fun you will have.

I Promise.
    Thanks, Sue. Already did that. Got that suggestion from another thread and thought it was a great one, so me and hubby threw our hat in as soon as we confirmed we are able to make it to the rally. Looking forward to it.

Any other Newbie help/advice is always appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Joecubana
    Or how about a newbie "icebreaker" or something similar?? Since this will be my first National something like that would be appreciated.
    JC
    Hey mods - is there going to be another Forum Frenzy?

At the 04 National all of us Forum Folks met at the beer tent at an appointed time and it was fun to meet people face to face.

'cept maybe gambrinus. He's beer-crazy. And knary - he's tequila-crazy. I sure hope you west of the Mississippi folks can make it to Lima.
    Even the AGATT/beemer Gals glowed like madonna space angels -redclfco

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boxergrrlie
    Hey mods - is there going to be another Forum Frenzy?

At the 04 National all of us Forum Folks met at the beer tent at an appointed time and it was fun to meet people face to face.

'cept maybe gambrinus. He's beer-crazy. And knary - he's tequila-crazy. I sure hope you west of the Mississippi folks can make it to Lima.
    Hmmmmm. That could be good fun

must remember to not hold bourbon during incriminating pictures.... I wasn't drunk I have lazy eye
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gsjay
    Excellant idea!!!!!!!!!

gsjay
    This will be my first rally and I really was hoping something like this would be there to start a long list of pitcures and memories.

Hospitality committee needs your input

True story, last year at AMA - Belive it or not I parked the bike next to 50 other BMW's walked over to the person(s) directing traffic and asked where the BMW tent was. They did not know and said it should be on the infield somewhere. Keep in mind BMW was hosting the thing last year and the tent was freak'en huge with an emblem the size of my car on it. We wlaked around the swap meet for an hour before I figured out where the infield was.

The most important thing to me is to have knowledgable friendly people that know what is going on and how to get there. Keep in mind hospitality, for me at least, means if I have a question or a problem, they know where it is and what I should do.
    A map would be good and a list of the events and times.

As for specifics - we like the daily rides but if you don't want us to ride with you give us a map. Went on a club ride last year the destination was a cliff site about 75 miles from the rally. The guide(s) stayed 10 minutes - hopped on their bike and rode off. Thank God we had some idea of direction. I am sure someone is still sitting there wandering were the guide went.

And finally - two things you must have. Shirt sizes other than large and xx large. My wife takes a small and will buy one if you have one. And second I need a coffee mug - plastic prefered - with a hole drilled in the handle so I can clip it on what ever is handy.

Thanks
    Gmac

Shoe shine

I bet a local independent business person in the shoe shine trade would do a land office business at the ralley. A hard working shoe shine would make some good coin and earn every penny. (my guy worked 40 minutes on my boots for $20). I think this would be a good way to spread the wealth and provide a service that is needed. Regarding west of the rockies members, I promised my boy (22 yrs, living in Philadelphia) that I would give him the silver bike and ride out east with him. We have the trip timed to coincide with the Lima ralley and we are much looking forward to it. I don't know if we are sufficiently beer crazy to represent the region, but we will give it a shot (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by boxergrrlie
    I sure hope you west of the Mississippi folks can make it to Lima.
    Don't worry, some of us westerners will be ridin' back to see the other side of the big muddy... Looking forward to a great Beemerville bash, too!

Chris
    Chris Hughes - Ambassador
    BMWMOA #33373
    NWRR #911
    INBMWR #008
    WSBMWR #?
    GUINNESS #1
    HOMEBREW #2

"It is better to have seen a place once... than to have heard of it a thousand times"

Nope --- Old Salt had it right. We are working with a professional who will take a souvie picture of you and your bike in front of Beemerville.....
    And put the detailer next to it.
    Get the bike clean before the picture, or do the before and after.

Ken Wymer
    BMWMOA
    BMWOCSD
    IBA BB 1500
    Chula Vista, Ca

Teens

Is there going to be a "Teen Club" as there was at Spokane? This year I ask, I am bringing my 15 y/o daughter.

Ken Wymer
    BMWMOA
    BMWOCSD
    IBA BB 1500
    Chula Vista, Ca

How about a hot tub vendor. A nice soak after a long ride would be nice.
    Rob Lessen

'07 R12RT
    '08 R12GS

Teens

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny2
    Is there going to be a "Teen Club" as there was at Spokane? This year I ask, I am bringing my 15 y/o daughter.
    You Bet! I have an enthusiastic 24 year-old BMW rider who is covering that. The teens will have an INCREDIBLE time in Beemerville....

Sue
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Director - Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

You Bet! I have an enthusiastic 24 year-old BMW rider who is covering that. The teens will have an INCREDIBLE time in Beemerville....

Sue
    Great, at Spokane, they had a "little" water fight at the wash rack. Of course that was after the water balloon "toss".

Ken Wymer
    BMWMOA
    BMWOCSD
    IBA BB 1500
    Chula Vista, Ca

Here's another newbie question about volunteering. I want to , but may not be able to commit until shortly before making the trip. Should I speak up now or later?
    Bikeless for now...but not forever!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Volunteering

Quote Originally Posted by The Veg
    I want to , but may not be able to commit until shortly before making the trip. Should I speak up now or later?
    Thanks for asking. This is a GREAT question. First, a little recent history: Last year we tried something different with the early arrivals: nobody was allowed on the grounds early unless they volunteered for a shift somewhere. This seemed like a great way to ensure that all of the shifts would be filled, and also opened the gates to the BMW riders on Wednesday. (as long as they promised to work a shift somewhere.)

Unfortunately, once on-grounds, many of these folks must have forgotten about their commitment because throughout the rally, the committees were left short-handed because MANY people did not show up for their shifts.

That being said, we definitely need lots of volunteers. We could not do this event without the thousands of volunteer-hours every year. But please - if you DO volunteer, please PLEASE remember to show up for your shift.

And we have some REALLY cool things in store for the volunteers this year - a little "thank-you", as it were.

So thanks in advance. This is going to be really-something!
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Director - Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.