Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Member in State College, PA

bharvey60
    Creamery is definitely worth a notch or two on the old belt buckle. I'm in the process of dropping some weight and just driving by the place every morning adds about five pounds. I'm drooling on my keyboard just thinking about Peachy Paterno (ice cream, not Joe)...

Give me a holler if/when you plan a ride up.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I didn't think anyone in Pennsylvania could fit in a medium shirt. I always figured it was prohibited by the state constitution.
    I always split the cheese steak.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    I always split the cheese steak.
    Me too! One half now....the other half in 15 minutes.

Welcome, I'm originally from that neck of the woods, Beautiful scenery. I too suffer from MBS. If you are ever in this area, I can show you some nice roads
    I have met the enemy, and he is us
    2011 R 1200 RT
    1992R100RT
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Silverado

I didn't think anyone in Pennsylvania could fit in a medium shirt. I always figured it was prohibited by the state constitution.
    come on, Carlisle.....I'm a medium!
    09 HP2 Sport: '06 K12R; '09 Buell XB9SX

Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    I DO like the Creamery at PSU.
    Meyer's Dairy on S. Atherton St (US 322 Bus). It's a local family business and very good.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Meyer's Dairy on S. Atherton St (US 322 Bus). It's a local family business and very good.
    Oh great, another ice cream place to try.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Weather permitting - and assuming the head honcho approves time and funding, I'm thinking I need one more weekend outing.

Terrance and all, how does the weekend of 11/13 look for you? PSU has an away game so there should be reasonably priced hotel rooms for a night. Great ride, a little ice cream? I haven't read the article yet in Rider Magazine but I hear there is a BBQ place mentioned in Happy Valley.

Who's up for it? (I'll start working on permission!)

Steve
    As a South Carolinian transplanted to Pennsylvania, BBQ is in my blood (not to mention my arteries). I have been on a decade-long quest to find Carolina quality BBQ in Pennsylvania and so far have failed. I had high hopes for Doan's Bones near Whipple Dam south of State College, but was disappointed.

That rant out of the way, there are some exquisite rides around there. Here are a few of my favorite stretches of road.

I'd heartily recommend the Elk Creek Cafe in Milheim for lunch. Boxer's Cafe in Huntington and Denny's in Clearwater (not the chain) are also fun.

I have been on a decade-long quest to find Carolina quality BBQ in Pennsylvania and so far have failed.
    Yeah, but ........ you can't beat the Ponhaus or Souse
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Yeah, but ........ you can't beat the Ponhaus or Souse
    I rest my case. You might add shoe fly pie to that list of abominations, but at least it makes good spackle.
    Last edited by rockbottom; 10-27-2010 at 05:24 PM.

I don't know if it will sate your epicurian tastes, but in Grazerville right outside of Tyrone is Clems BBQ. Yummmmmmm Tyrone is my hometown and I get a dose of Clems as often as possible
    I have met the enemy, and he is us
    2011 R 1200 RT
    1992R100RT
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Silverado

Steve
    That has been on my to-do list. I might buzz up there this weekend.

I rest my case. You might add shoe fly pie to that list of abominations, but at least it makes good spackle.
    "Abominations" is a pretty strong term from someone lusting for cheap pork swimming is corn syrup and ketchup. But, then again, we all are entitled to our odd preferences.

Steve
    BBQ only comes into proximity of ketchup in the less civilized regions west of I 77. Corn syrup never. Here's an educational video.

When I make BBQ for my Pennsylvania neighbors, I start the fire at 2:30 AM to have it ready for a 6 PM eating. I look at it as cultural missionary work, the equivalent of 19th century explorers teaching the natives to cover their nakedness. I normally use a whole pork shoulder weighing around 15 lbs. I order it from a country butcher shop who gets it directly from Lancaster County farms. They wrap the big pink hunk of meat in plastic and I bungee it to my luggage rack for the ride home. If I ever get in an accident while doing that I can imagine the police saying to my wife, "Mrs. Bottom--we have some bad news. The ambulance crew picked him up but there was a part left over and they don't know where it goes."
    Last edited by rockbottom; 10-29-2010 at 11:05 AM.