Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Recall: F 650 GS 2007 - 2010 NHTSA Campaign ID number : 10V496000

  1. #1
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,499

    Recall: F 650 GS 2007 - 2010 NHTSA Campaign ID number : 10V496000

    RECALL:

    Report Date : October 20, 2010 at 07:11 AM
    NHTSA Campaign ID number : 10V496000


    Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    BMW / F 650 GS 2007-2010
    Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: OCT 14, 2010
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V496000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A


    Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTSISC
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 1835

    Summary:
    BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2007 THROUGH 2010 F 650 GS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 2006 THROUGH JANUARY 2010. A WASHER MAY INTERFERE WITH THE FRONT DISC BRAKE FASTENERS' TORQUE. AS A RESULT, OVER TIME, A FASTENER OR MUTIPLE FASTENERS COULD BECOME LOOSE, ALLOWING THE BRAKE DISC TO BECOME LOOSE.

    Consequence:
    A LOOSE BRAKE DISC MAY INTERFERE WITH PROPER BRAKING PERFORMANCE AND MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

    Remedy:
    THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED A REMEDY OR A NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.

    Notes:
    OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

    St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

  2. #2
    Back in the Saddle mcmxcivrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,726
    Clearly the forum software is not taking this recall seriously enough by interpreting the colon ahead of the word disk and making it a smilie.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

  3. #3
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,499
    Left it in for a bit of comic relief for owners of the recalled bikes.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

    St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

  4. #4
    Global Touring
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    South Orange NJ
    Posts
    194
    If this recall is for F650GS model
    "MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 2006 THROUGH JANUARY 2010"

    wouldn't that have to be the "original" F650GS single ?

    I don't think the F650GS twin was manufactured before 2008.

  5. #5
    Jack Herbst
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtFisher View Post
    If this recall is for F650GS model
    "MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 2006 THROUGH JANUARY 2010"

    wouldn't that have to be the "original" F650GS single ?

    I don't think the F650GS twin was manufactured before 2008.
    You are correct. This is not in the correct heading. This is for the F650GS Twins.

    Jack

  6. #6
    Registered User rmarkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowcountry
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    You are correct. This is not in the correct heading. This is for the F650GS Twins.

    Jack
    I am staggered at the stupid and confusing nomenclature assigned to the F and G series bikes, including calling a F? or is it a G 650 (twin) when it is an 800.
    As an owner of a 650 single, I sincerely don't know what to call it when asked, for fear of confusing the inquirer.

    Mark

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,499

    I think this is the correct heading for it.

    I have contacted NHTSA. They could not answer the question if it is the twin or the single because their system is vin based and the information on their web site and the correspondence supporting does not indicate one way or another. They referred me to BMW.

    I contacted BMW customer relations. The system that the people I was able to access there is a vin number based system. They could not answer the Twin or Sing question.

    I believe F Twins is the correct heading based on the manufacturing dates listed in a supporting document on the NHTSA site:

    http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...0V496-9823.pdf

    I am trying to contact Jan Urbahn who is listed in the referenced document as the BMW contact.

    I do not own a F or G series bike and posted the recall for information purposes. Therefore, I can not supply them with a valid VIN to open the magic door and get the information to fully clarify. Any F650 GS owner can contact BMW at 1-800-525-7417 and supply them with your VIN and they will be able to tell you if it is part of the recall. If you are your VIN will have opened the magic door to information to clarify.

    I have been on the road so sorry for the delay in checking this thread again.

    Just call me Mercury …Mika and don’t shoot the messenger.

    Last edited by Mika; 10-22-2010 at 12:46 AM.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

    St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

  8. #8
    Jack Herbst
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkr View Post
    I am staggered at the stupid and confusing nomenclature assigned to the F and G series bikes, including calling a F? or is it a G 650 (twin) when it is an 800.
    As an owner of a 650 single, I sincerely don't know what to call it when asked, for fear of confusing the inquirer.

    Call it affectionatly a "Thumper". Very common name depicting the single 650.

    I know the new twin 650 is probably misnamed. Very confusing to say the lest. Totaly a different beast.

    Jack

  9. #9
    Global Touring
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    South Orange NJ
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    I have contacted NHTSA. They could not answer the question if it is the twin or the single because their system is vin based and the information on their web site and the correspondence supporting does not indicate one way or another. They referred me to BMW.

    I contacted BMW customer relations. The system that the people I was able to access there is a vin number based system. They could not answer the Twin or Sing question.

    I believe F Twins is the correct heading based on the manufacturing dates listed in a supporting document on the NHTSA site:

    http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...0V496-9823.pdf

    I am trying to contact Jan Urbahn who is listed in the referenced document as the BMW contact.

    I do not own a F or G series bike and posted the recall for information purposes. Therefore, I can not supply them with a valid VIN to open the magic door and get the information to fully clarify. Any F650 GS owner can contact BMW at 1-800-525-7417 and supply them with your VIN and they will be able to tell you if it is part of the recall. If you are your VIN will have opened the magic door to information to clarify.

    I have been on the road so sorry for the delay in checking this thread again.

    Just call me Mercury …Mika and don’t shoot the messenger.

    Mercury/ Mika. Not shooting the messenger, just seeking clarification.

    Interesting: this AM, nice BMW "recall line" rep at 800-525-7417, was unable to clarify, even when supplied with (my) VIN number from 2009 F650GS twin. Database accessible to rep shows all previous recalls completed, but not whether this particular VIN is subject to most recent recall. Rep unable to suggest which BMW staff person (Urbahn?) might have an underlying model/ VIN cross-reference list--that would clarify whether "F650GS" is single or twin. Rep apologized but suggested waiting for usual BMW recall letter to affected VIN owners and/ or "contact dealer" (who of course will not have the info, yet).

    BMW is legally obligated to inform DOT/ NHTSA, but it's not uncommon for the follow-on VIN-specific data communication to dealers & owners to be delayed by several weeks or even longer, after the legal notice to NHTSA.

    "I believe F Twins is the correct heading based on the manufacturing dates listed in a supporting document on the NHTSA site...". Maybe, but it's precisely because of the posted manufacturing dates, that I suspect this recall is for singles, not twins. We'll learn eventually, and in meantime, you might consider cross-posting this recall to the "Thumper" sub-forum.

    Thanks for all your posts.
    Last edited by CourtFisher; 10-27-2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: minor correction

  10. #10
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,499
    Court I have an odd sense of humor at times and did not take offense.

    I did talk with Jan Urbahn General Manager Safety Engineering and Inteligent Transportation Systems at BMW NA. He was listed on one of the support documents for the recall as the author. Off the top of his head he could not remember the answer to my question of twin or single. He said he would have his assistant find the answer and call me back. He was very friendly and gracious in dealing with a bad connection and was very careful about taking my number and name. I was in a rest stop on I80 and my phone was dying. I forgot my charger. I have not received a call back.

    I posted two recalls within 30 minutes of their being released by the NHTSA. It does not surprise me therefore that the BMW data base was not caught up. I am a bit disappointed though. I have been checking some other sources with no luck. I did consider cross posting to the thumper sub forum. My concern in doing that is I don't want to add to the F/G confussion.

    If anyone else finds out the answer let us know. I will continue to follow the story because as usual I am curious.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

    St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

  11. #11
    Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    640
    When I saw this last Wednesday, I contacted BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale, my favorite BMW shop here in Arizona. They have been checking in regularly with BMW, nothing yet!

    "Hi Louie, Many Thanks, Sincerely, Don

    Don Stanley
    1061 N. Amber St.
    Chandler, AZ 85225
    Cell: 480-440-4666

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Louis Franconi
    To: Don Stanley
    Cc: Zach Vlahos
    Sent: Tue, Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am
    Subject: Recalls

    Hey Don,

    At this time BMW has not released a recall for the 650's, K1200's, or the K1300's. If you read the fine print in the NHTSA article, they stated "The government reports that BMW has not yet provided a remedy or a notification schedule for either recall". As soon as more information becomes available, we can provide you notification. BMW will more than likely send out some type of letter, to address this issue.

    If We hear anything, with regard to this issue, we will contact you immediately. Thank you for your continued support. I look forward to speaking with you soon!

    Best regards,

    Louie Franconi
    Service Manager

    BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale
    Ducati of Scottsdale
    KTM of Scottsdale
    Triumph of Scottsdale
    Vespa of Scottsdale

    15750 N. Northsight Blvd.
    Scottsdale, AZ 85260
    (480)-609-1800 phone
    (480)-398-2530 fax
    www.goaz.com
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

  12. #12
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,499
    I just received my call back from Jan Urbahn and BMW NA. The recall is for the twin cylinder model F650GS. He did not have any details on the remedy either. What was interesting was he had to call Germany for clarification.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

    St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

  13. #13
    Registered User Bullett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern Oregon coast.
    Posts
    270
    Mika,

    Thanks for the "heads up."
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •