Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: does anybody here use pulsing brake lights?

I built my own 9 years ago after getting rear ended in my pickup truck.
    I would not ride my bike without them.
    No cop has ever hassled me about having them.
    That being said; nothing replaces a shoulder check, a rear view mirror and proper escape positioning
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Flashing BRAKE lights

I had Hyperlight modules on my K100 and my KGT came with the Flashing LED rig from Pirate's Lair http://pirateslair.net/LED1.htm.

VERY bright and the LEDs really work well.

Brett
    I do and everyone who rides with me loves them and I have noticed cars back off when i tap them if I'm being followed to close. I use them just by activating them a lot if I see someone in my mirror that might not see the person stopping in front of me along with engine braking. For $125.00 they are a great investment and really wake up the people behind you. Never had any problems with the law either.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brettendress View Post
    I do and everyone who rides with me loves them and I have noticed cars back off when i tap them if I'm being followed to close. I use them just by activating them a lot if I see someone in my mirror that might not see the person stopping in front of me along with engine braking. For $125.00 they are a great investment and really wake up the people behind you. Never had any problems with the law either.
    Not a 'problem with the law' issue, since they are no different than 'tapping one's brake lights' on a car or truck, as long as they are red.

My Hyper-Lites got noticed big time this past weekend on The Dragon and Blue Ridge Parkway, and I recieved numerous comments (all good) and inquiries as to how to purchase (got mine thru www.cyclegadgets.com ).
    No bike of mine will ever be without them!
    Last edited by Greenwald; 10-17-2010 at 01:37 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

I love my hyperlites. As soon as I installed them I noticed people stopped further behind me at stoplights. I like that I can just drag my rear brake a little if I need to wake somebody up.
    Karl

2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75C - sold

GREGFUESS

CANBus BRAKE Lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer01 View Post
    I had Hyperlight modules on my K100 and my KGT came with the Flashing LED rig from Pirate's Lair http://pirateslair.net/LED1.htm.

VERY bright and the LEDs really work well.
    How do those LED Brake lights treat your CANBus system? I tried something similar on my '08 K1200S and it lit the dash up, things flashing and warning that the rear brake light was out. I ended up back with the original bulb, and added hyperlights.

If you know how these were installed and your dash functions properly, could you share that information?

I use P3 lights, followed the instructions; they work great and cagers do notice them. Maybe your lights were grounding improperly.
    1983 R80RT
    2007 R1200RT

I have the P3 lights on my 2005. They work fine with the CANBUS. What sold me on the P# over the Hyperlights is that the P# seller at the rally could answer all my questions, knew that you needed a wire from the front to the back, and to me, produced a nicer looking (stouter) product. The connectors were all top notch, the units themselves looked stronger, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gregfuess View Post
    How do those LED Brake lights treat your CANBus system?...{snip}
    The Hyperlights are compatible with CANBUS. They use a sensor that monitors the voltage on the brake light wire and, when the voltage switches to high (brakes on), a microprocessor modulates the Hyperlights from voltage drawn from a power source (accessory outlet, fuseblock, etc.). Mine have never caused a CANBUS error.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Canbus -

Sorry, the bike came with them installed, but my bike is a 2004. As the other members have noted, the circuit is looking for a certain resistance - I suspect the unit that was installed on my KGT has a resistor in the circuit to match the load that would be seen with the OE bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by airoilheadbeemerguy View Post
    I use P3 lights, followed the instructions; they work great and cagers do notice them. Maybe your lights were grounding improperly.
    +1 on all of the above...

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar

I've got a bunch of lights on my bike, including two flashing LED panels made by Code 3 for my RTP's unique rear end. In the photo above, you can see the two illuminated round red incandescent lamps at the bottom of the panel. These are blue lights on real police motorcycles, and they've been converted to always-on red marker lights on my bike.

Above those two round lamps are two rectangular red panels with a blue reflective sticker between them. These LED panels are EXTREMELY bright when illuminated and feature a programmable display. I think there are six settings to the lights that are changed by completing a circuit across a jumper. The setting I use flashes the lamps twice in very quick succession and then remains on for as long as the brake pedal/lever is activated.

This feature, on a cop bike, keeps tailgaters away. I don't consider myself bulletproof on my bike, but I do feel very safe knowing I've employed every available technology to protect myself and make myself visible.

As you can see, I also have the Kisan Signalminder that, among other things, keeps the turn signals on all the time as marker lights.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Kirbster919
    I use pulsing brake lights on one of my bikes. The other will get them soon.

I just wanted to add... Every Chicago Police car has red brake lights up top that strobe 2 or 3 three times before maintaining steady illumination. When you see 5 brake lights, two of them pulsing, you notice.

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    also, i learned a lesson about left turns on two lane roads at night. i was on a curve stopped to make a left turn.... heard a screech behind me which was the attention deficit disorder afflicted driver swerving to avoid me.
    it was then i remembered hearing somewhere that in that kind of a scenario it's best to pull off to the right and let the road clear and then make the left turn.
    the other driver might have been at fault but i was the one who would have been road kill.
    hope this helps somebody else.
    I don't know what you are driving, but I did find out that my BMW dealer (Sill's Motor Sales in Cleve) has a few of the BRAKE! LED tail lights. I was lucky that someone posted on the forum that the 1200GS would fit my F800ST and they had one. I know he has a few more left but don't know for what models. The pulse is programable and CanBus and ABS friendly.

Their number is 216-749-1363 ask for Dominic. Like I said, he only had a few. They are bright and they pulse initially then stay on. It's a LED panel & it's plug n play.
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

I would love to have those lights but they are illegal in Canada.

The only vehicles that are allowed to have flashing red lights are Police, Fire and Ambulances.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)