Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BMW loses CHP Contract

El Paso PD use the new Connie. I got to see them at the Kaw dealer when they were outfitting them about a year ago. Only thing I see that I'd hate to have to do is set the valves. But maybe it's not that bad.

BMW can make a police version out of the K1300GT or the new K1600 pretty easy, solves the clutch problem nicely.

Problem solved.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    I'm sure the officers riding them wouldn't think it was such a great idea.
    Why? I doubt the officers riding them have the kind of money that it takes to buy a brand-new bike every or every other year, and I also doubt that stops them from riding.

--chiba
    --
    - '05 R1200GS - '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -

A lot of history, tests, and testimonials with regard to BMW police bikes can be found at www.bmwmc.net If you go in-depth to the Michigan State Police tests, the BMWs come out on top.

Harley does seem to subsidize their police sales. A few years back my PD told me if I supplied my own ride I could be a at least part-time, motor officer. The police prices were 10K and 12K for the Dyna Defender or the Road King respectively. (add to that a bit more for the lights and siren). The lease price to a PD was just $100/month! BMW also loaned me a RT-P. If I had the choice- which I didn't, I would have chosen a RT-P hands down.

I'll bet the Connie 14 is a heckuva fine enforcement bike. A long distance and commuting friend of mine has ridden a Connie 14 for a year now, and he loves it. He rode the earlier Connie for years, then bought a used 2004 K12GT which gave him a lot of trouble. So, he got rid of it and bought a brand new Connie 14.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Quote Originally Posted by chiba13 View Post
    Seems to me the prudent thing to do would be to use the bikes they already have rather than buy new ones. That would save even more money.

--chiba
    Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    I'm sure the officers riding them wouldn't think it was such a great idea.
    Why? I doubt the officers riding them have the kind of money that it takes to buy a brand-new bike every or every other year, and I also doubt that stops them from riding.

--chiba
    I will assume you are not trying to argue just for arguments sake.

But I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Why wouldn't officers want to ride, while on duty, the newest equipment available, regardless of what they ride when off duty?
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    interestingly, beaudry motorsports is a BMW dealer, too!

ian
    And not a particularly good one, imo.
    Jammess

--chiba

From having to budget and lobby for replacement vehicles while working for a municipality, I have to say not all vehicles in a fleet are replaced at the same time. It just is not possible with limited funds and lot's of departments with various needs. Public Safety typically comes first with police and fire depts...do you want that officer response or fire response to break down on the way to you?

The city had a combination of miles vs cost of maintenance formula that each vehicle or piece of equipment must meet for replacement. Each one was a line item in the budget. At some point...typically 3-4 years, the numbers favor replacing a unit. I was not a member of the police dept, but had some friends in the motor group...we talked...A police bike gets a lot of wear and tear in most places. The Austin PD still has a few H-D's and several R1150RTP's because they haven't met the requirements for replacement...only a few modern RT's yet as they have around 20 something units in service.( may be more since I retired) When they rode Kawa 1000's in the early 80's...they really showed their age and in tough budget times...were rode until worn out.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Jim Bud

This is good news.....sort of.....

Because, the attached data on the new Kawa says that the police bikes are "limited" to 130 mph.....so, if you gotta run.....you better run HARD.....or you will be caught.

BTW, this will be a real blow to those dealers who have invested in great service to the the police folks.....fortunately, it will occur over a period of time, but two years from now, there will be fewer service people at some of the better dealers and that will hurt us all. Let's hope that the economy is cooking by then so the impact will be reduced.
    Jim Bud...

Whatever the reason for the change the fact is that BMW lost a "prestige" account. These are high profile bikes that give BMW quite a bit of international publicity.

The bean counters must be happy.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBud View Post
    Because, the attached data on the new Kawa says that the police bikes are "limited" to 130 mph.....so, if you gotta run.....you better run HARD.....or you will be caught.
    130 is the speed limit for H-rated tires.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Are the new Kaw police bikes made in the USA as were the previous versions (in Lincoln, NE)?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by JimBud View Post
    But only if your bike is fast enough to outrun Motorola?

Quote Originally Posted by R80RTJohnny View Post
    Whatever the reason for the change the fact is that BMW lost a "prestige" account. These are high profile bikes that give BMW quite a bit of international publicity.

The bean counters must be happy.
    Typical state/city procedure...low bidder typically wins out unless they do not meet all the tight requirements which could exclude them..and it can be only by a few dollars. It isn't to say BMW did not try, unless someone requests public records( sometimes bids are off limits) we may never know the real reason, price point per bike may be a large influence......it's the purchasing rules adopted or mandated by local goverments to comply with all sorts of "fair practices" and avoid lawsuits...been in a few regardless. We had to go to from a bells and whistles piece of equipment we really trusted to "yes, it will do the job..."barely" too many times to count. Then a year later the low ball vendors equipment broke down or would not do the job as advertised.

When I think international exposure however...I think events like the Tour de France and backdrops of large European cities without H-D's and half helmeted LEO's and not CHP's gold bikes...still think Ponch & John on the Kawas
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Typical state/city procedure...low bidder typically wins out unless they do not meet all the tight requirements which could exclude them..and it can be only by a few dollars. It isn't to say BMW did not try, unless someone requests public records( sometimes bids are off limits) we may never know the real reason, price point per bike may be a large influence......it's the purchasing rules adopted or mandated by local goverments to comply with all sorts of "fair practices" and avoid lawsuits...been in a few regardless. We had to go to from a bells and whistles piece of equipment we really trusted to "yes, it will do the job..."barely" too many times to count. Then a year later the low ball vendors equipment broke down or would not do the job as advertised.

When I think international exposure however...I think events like the Tour de France and backdrops of large European cities without H-D's and half helmeted LEO's and not CHP's gold bikes...still think Ponch & John on the Kawas
    Here in our Nation's Capital I doubt that any other manufacturer will dethrone HD as the bike of choice as the heel/toe shifter is of utmost importance as this keeps their boot scuff free. They did try out some R1150RT-P but at the end of the day it was the boot factor.

Hopefully the new bikes will perform well and deliver good value for the money.

As for international flavor look at how many tourists visit California each year. How many people, over the years, have associated BMW motorcycles with the CHP. How many, granted maybe not many, have bought or considered a BMW as their next purchase.

Given the year-round workout they receive it could be asked how many other jurisdictions look at these bikes and how they performed when looking at buying new bikes for their police forces.

At the end of the day, to the non-motorcyclist, these are but tools used to do a job within set parameters and for a specific price. They are bought on contract and not out of affection.

Darn bureaucracy! And I'm a bureaucrat.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.