Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BMW loses CHP Contract

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    I'm sure the officers riding them wouldn't think it was such a great idea.

Most states have a replacement plan in place. At some point, maintenance becomes more expensive and the bikes more reliable.

But I just ride them so what do I know.
    How does the maintenance become more expensive if the bikes become more reliable ?
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Quote Originally Posted by k100lt View Post
    I see the outfit that is selling them is in IDAHO. Wouldn't it have been better to buy from a dealer in CA? Might help us out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    interestingly, beaudry motorsports is a BMW dealer, too!

ian
    I remember doing some reading when CA went to BMWs.
    - Not all BMW dealers are created equal. IIRC only certain dealers work within the BMW Police MC program for bidding and supplying.
    - Any dealer can service. WA had BMWs in 2003. Some of them were serviced in Oregon.
    - CHP does its own maintenance. Its mechanics are certified by the manufacturers that supply them. Therefore it does not make any difference to them where the supplying dealer is located.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar

ian
    Beaudry is where my never-in-service RTP came from
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    I remember doing some reading when CA went to BMWs.
    - Not all BMW dealers are created equal. IIRC only certain dealers work within the BMW Police MC program for bidding and supplying.
    - Any dealer can service. WA had BMWs in 2003. Some of them were serviced in Oregon.
    - CHP does its own maintenance. Its mechanics are certified by the manufacturers that supply them. Therefore it does not make any difference to them where the supplying dealer is located.
    Washington State Patrol Troopers ride both R1150RTPs and R1200RTPs. They are given a stipend to cover maintenance. If they do it themselves, they get to keep the money. If they find an independent mechanic to do it cheaply, they keep the difference, and if they take it to a dealership, they likely don't have much left over when they're done.

My independent BMW mechanic always has three or four WSP RTPs in the shop at any given time. I love seeing my RTP next to "real" RTPs, and I enjoy comparing and contrasting the subtle and not so subtle differences between the bikes.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by k100lt View Post
    I see the outfit that is selling them is in IDAHO. Wouldn't it have been better to buy from a dealer in CA? Might help us out.
    Having worked for a city goverment, purchasing contracts typically go to lowest bidder regardless of location unless the bid is tightly written...for a while, we had to buy all truck chassis in Texas. Our equipment mounted on the trucks came from Indiana, Alabama and Texas to name a few.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

PlaneGeek
    Any body know if any LEOs are riding the new Cam-head RTs?

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    How does the maintenance become more expensive if the bikes become more reliable ?
    Duh .... Brain fade. Corrected my original post but it did not change your quote of my post.
    Last edited by Bud; 10-07-2010 at 10:55 PM.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    CHP does its own maintenance.
    Not necessarily. I was at San Jose BMW this morning, and there was a CHP bike and its rider hanging around the service dept. San Jose BMW has taken care of San Jose area CHP bikes for years.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Motorcycle Consumer News had a feature on police bikes a while back. Maintenance was a big issue. As I recall, where HD, Honda, and Kawasaki machines could be maintained in the police garage, BMWs had to be taken to a BMW dealer, where they were put in line with the other bikes awaiting service. That takes the cop bikes out of service, and requires getting the machines to and from the dealership.

For years, H-D supported police departments with deals that were a lot like giving them free bikes. And I've seen the H-D service trailer at events such as the Law Ride. Obviously, H-D liked having cops on H-D machines--even though most cop bikes have Screaming Eagle everything in an attempt to get performance. I think H-D considered LEO bikes as good advertizing.

Both the H-D and Kawasaki 1,000 police bikes had a deserved reputation for spleed wobbles. That's why the radio packs on the "old" Kz1,000s were spring loaded to slide sideways. It's not uncommon for an H-D mounted LEO to crash while in hot pursuit.

I have to assume that BMW AG and BMW Motorrad NA don't see much value in getting USA LEOs on BMW bikes. If they do want officers on BMWs, they don't seem to appreciate what's needed to beat the competition.

pmdave

Nicely put Dave.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Don't forget, California used the Kawasaki for years, and the reviews of the new Connie rate it as an excellent ride. However, it's a little heavy for my likes. A good friend of mine has one and I can see the benefits.

Please, let's not start talking like we are the "Destination Brand," or I'll suggest this thread be moved to the Harley Davidson Forum.

Easy

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Not necessarily. I was at San Jose BMW this morning, and there was a CHP bike and its rider hanging around the service dept. San Jose BMW has taken care of San Jose area CHP bikes for years.
    As does CalBMW and Ted Porter in Scott's Valley. At least they did, perhaps things have changed in the last 6-12 months.

In some Morning Reads a long time ago is where I think I posted the info related to BMW and the CHP deal when it started. There were memos about CHP mechanics getting certified the time table for conversion to BMWs and adjustments agreed on by BMW to bring their maintenance intervals and oil recommendations in line with CHP fleet guidelines. I based my comments on that. Things may have changed with CA's fiscal issues or something moving maintenance back to BMW dealers.

The Motorcycle Consumers News series on police bikes was discussed in another thread. BMW did take a pounding in print but some questioned the methodology of the test.

What does it take to compete for police department business? BMW is one of the largest if not the largest supplier of police motorcycles in the world. It has never been the leader in the US. Other companies have donated bikes to forces to get them on their bikes. Moto Guzzi has been doing that of late and H-D has done it for years. Perhaps they donÔÇÖt see a $2000/bike advertising benefit in having CHP on BMWs instead of a Kawasaki. A deal only happens when both parties to the transaction are satisfied with the numbers.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

ian
    Beaudry is no longer a BMW dealer. BMW got peeved when they started outfitting Jap bikes for police duty.
    J?rgen
    Red Rocks
    04 R1150GS adv
    04 K1200RS last of the great bricks

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Ditto for all the bikes from Sacramento and Chico which are serviced impeccably by Ozzie's BMW in Chico CA. Ozzie personally picks up and delivers six bikes at a time from Sacramento and back on a custom built rig. Talk about great service. Unlike the newer mega shops which are all about moving product Ozzie and Emma do it old school.

While at his shop I have met and talked to local CHPS cops who love their beemers and love Ozzie's even more. That is one great little shop. Hopefully they keep the current bikes on the road since that is a large part of their business. I bet the CHPS officers are not going to be too happy with the change. Of course no one probably asked them.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT