Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: BMW loses CHP Contract

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I don't think the police use of bikes has that much impact on sales or what people think of a particular brand. The Crown Vic has dominated police use for years but you don't see the public buying them. The same goes for the more recently used Impalas and Chargers. Most people know that public equipment is there only because it was the lowest bid.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I wonder if there is an updated version of the document found on this thread

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14360

Interesting data.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

PlaneGeek
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    But only if your bike is fast enough to outrun Motorola?
    And the Jet Ranger and Cessna 206 shadowing you from above...

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I don't think the police use of bikes has that much impact on sales or what people think of a particular brand. The Crown Vic has dominated police use for years but you don't see the public buying them. The same goes for the more recently used Impalas and Chargers. Most people know that public equipment is there only because it was the lowest bid.
    I agree, police bikes don't influence public sales. But, what the CHP buys, sets a precedent for what other agencies around the country buy. That is why HD and BMW both offered killer deals at first to get the CHP using their bikes.

Funny thing about the Concourse, is I heard it's turning radius exceeded CHP requirements. I guess they got a waiver.

Scott
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

I had heard the turning radius was increased somehow on the new Connies. I have no idea how, but that is what I heard. A CHP officer I talked with said the $2000 didn't seam as substantial as the savings in maintenance.
    Matt #7105
    R1200GS

It will be sad to lose the CHP contract. My theory is that the mechanics learn the trade on the RT-P bikes and they get very familiar with that particular model. This is a big plus for the R1150 & R1200 crowd because chances are the mechanic has done the job several times before on a police bike. He/she has probably figured out how to get right before working on your bike. I also don't think the CHP necessarily services their own bikes. Irv Seaver BMW in Orange always has CHP bikes in the shop, and they look a little too old to be under warranty.