Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ford dashboard

Grammarian no, Rider yes ISAMEMON's Avatar

ford dashboard

so some of you might not be old enough to know what a 1960's ford galaxie dashboard looks like,
    if you want to take a trip back in time, look at the new BMW K1600 "dashboard"

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I guess IM not "beholder" of that one

I ordered a crankshaft for an R bike from BMW and "it" showed up in a big box that weighed only a few pounds. Oops! It was the dash for a 5 series car. Seems the parts picker botched a number or two.

I think the 1600s are too big for me, and don't suit my riding style. I thought exactly the same thing about the K1200LT. But I'm glad BMW is replacing the K1200LT and suspect it will be a big seller.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

P Monk

Mustang dash?

I could get used to the dash, I really like the way the GPS docks and can be removed. Sold an LT to get an RT, which I sold to get a Goldwing, Which I traded in on a GS which I really like.

If I decide i never want to ride to Platoro Colo. again on Forrest service roads I might consider the new GTL.

One thing for sure it sure has the Goldwing (leadwing) beat as for a looks and at 200# less weight it probably will appeal to the more sporting touring types.
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

I'm well aware that BMW is now building or soon will be building engines for SAAB but this thing is nothing but a two wheeled Buick Roadmaster albeit with a ford dashboard.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    I'm well aware that BMW is now building or soon will be building engines for SAAB but this thing is nothing but a two wheeled Buick Roadmaster albeit with a ford dashboard.
    No Buick Roadmaster ever accelerated from 0-62 mph in 3.2 seconds.
    Steve
    NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
    2011 F800GS - Alpine White

f%&k im old, I dont need to hit 60 that fast anymore
    im only a couple of birthdays away form 60 as it is
    slow down 60

I think what the nay-sayers are missing.. once again.. the point of a new BMW model.

This bike isn't designed to satisfy existing BMW owners (especially airhead, early K, and early oilhead owners..)

It's designed for conquest sales. It is designed to be the best of a class - the luxo-touring class, so far dominated by Honda, Harley and probably Kawasaki. Just like the S1000RR - BMW is reaching out to a different demographics. Think of what Goldwing owners like about their bikes - and you'll see exactly who the styling and driveline design are made to appeal to. I doubt very much if BMW cares if we (existing BMW owners) are looking at buying the model (although they'll be happy if we are.) That wasn't the goal.

BMW realized a number of years ago that if they want to stay in the motorcycle business they must expand their market, not just satisfy the existing customer base (since as we age - that base is unfortunately getting smaller.)

I expect this bike will put Honda on the defensive again, and it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to come out with a competing design (the current Goldy isn't even close..) I expect they started thinking about this when BMW first announced the in-line 6 driveline, but bet it takes at least another year before we see what they respond with.

It would be lots more interesting to discuss how you think this will effect the BMW demographics (and if BMW is going to come out with logo'd satin jackets.. )
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

K1600GT Conquest Against Goldwing and Ultra Glide

I agree with Don's comments. These bikes are not to cater to existing BMW owners, but to cannibalize the market for Interstate touring machines, like the Goldwing and the Harley Ultra Glide. The sure giveaway that the K1600GTL is designed to lure Goldwing and Ultra Glide buyers is if they put the "Barcalounger" seat on the pillion, complete with the compulsory armrests.

I ride solo myself, but I think that every Goldwing and Ultra Glide I have ever seen with a female pillion passenger has the "Barcalounger" seat with armrests. Some of them even have a cupholder attached. I understand that SWMBO's demand this feature on these bikes. They are regally seated, with hands clasped firmly around the each end of the armrests.

The closest I have seen on BMWs is the huge 49 liter topcase with the backrest pad. Female pillion passengers on this setup, lacking the armrests are left with no other alternative, but to grasp their thighs , as a resting place for their hands.

Armrests are a must!

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

they need airbags and a seatbelt, and a top that goes up when its raining

oh thats right I have that already its called a bmw convertable
    ( as well as my RT)

From the home page

From the home page this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    I ride solo myself, but I think that every Goldwing and Ultra Glide I have ever seen with a female pillion passenger has the "Barcalounger" seat with armrests. Some of them even have a cupholder attached. I understand that SWMBO's demand this feature on these bikes. They are regally seated, with hands clasped firmly around the each end of the armrests.

Armrests are a must!

Bill
    I just got back from the LOE 1000 endurance rally in New Mexico. There were two two-up couples that tied for 2nd place in this 24 hour, 1000+ mile rally. They were on Goldwings. No cupholder that I saw, (endurance rally riders use insulated gallon jugs and drink tubes) but the passenger's GPS was mounted on the left armrest. So, I guess, for that purpose an armrest is a must.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 10-07-2010 at 02:55 PM.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

BMW riders somehow never seem to change. The /5 failed to have a round tail light and the pushrod tubes were in the wrong place. R100 riders laughed at the K100 and K75. They couldn't possibly ride them across the country with that electronic ignition and fuel injection they couldn't fix beside the road.

The then new R1100RS was too big compared to an R100RS, and the K1200R and K1200S were just dismissed as UJMs. Not to mention the F650 that was too little or the K1200LT that was too big. And the R1100R had instruments that looked like a Christmas tree. And of course, looking at some current threads, BMW makes only ugly bikes, and the dashboard on the K16 is too big, or too ugly, or too something.

Sheesh, folks.

The K1600 is intended to replace the K1200LT and to compete with Goldwings and big touring Harleys. /6 riders are not expected to like it. GS riders aren't expected to replace their GSs with it. Old K75 riders like me will think it is too big for us.

But Honda sells more Goldwings, and Harley sells more Roadglides, than BMW sells motorcycles, so that would seem to be a market niche worth pursuing.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 10-08-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The K1600 is intended to replace the K1200LT and to compete with Goldwings and big touring Harleys. /6 riders are not expected to like it. GS riders aren't expected to replace their GSs with it. Old K75 riders like me will think it is too big for us.

But Honda sells more Goldwings, and Harley sells more Roadglides, than BMW sells motorcycles, so that would seem to be a market niche worth pursuing.
    Nail on the head, Paul!

'59 Oldsmobile was what came to mind.....

I'm anxious to see what the "sportbike version is going to look like.

IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    From the home page this morning.
    I had a toy "car" in the 60's (just the dashboard and windshield) that looked just like this! I think they could have done a lot better...

http://www.timewarptoys.com/playm1.jpg
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005