Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Another new jacket?

  1. #1
    Novice Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Landenberg, PA
    Posts
    2,690

    Another new jacket?

    We seem to have developed a problem at our house. Everytime we go to a dealer for whatever odd reason, one of us comes home with a new jacket.

    It started in March. We went to a gear expo and I bought a new Olympia Airglide riding outfit. Hubby bought a Revit jacket and had to special order pants. After several go-rounds we gave up on the pants because they couldn't get the right size. (that's a long story that's not worth retelling.) He returned his Revit and bought an Olympia. Another swing by the dealer two months later, there sits his previously worn/returned Revit marked down for quick sale. He bought it AGAIN. Yesterday, I dropped my bike off for service and came home with a new high-vis Olympia AST jacket. Hanging in the garage, we now have a total of six motorcycle jackets, not counting those that we just haven't parted with for whatever reason.

    How do I cure this sickness??

  2. #2
    Dale Rudolph
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    579
    When buying something that's over a hundred dollars, you should ask yourself
    "Do I really need this or do I just want it? "

  3. #3
    Registered User easy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    We seem to have developed a problem at our house. Everytime we go to a dealer for whatever odd reason, one of us comes home with a new jacket.

    It started in March. We went to a gear expo and I bought a new Olympia Airglide riding outfit. Hubby bought a Revit jacket and had to special order pants. After several go-rounds we gave up on the pants because they couldn't get the right size. (that's a long story that's not worth retelling.) He returned his Revit and bought an Olympia. Another swing by the dealer two months later, there sits his previously worn/returned Revit marked down for quick sale. He bought it AGAIN. Yesterday, I dropped my bike off for service and came home with a new high-vis Olympia AST jacket. Hanging in the garage, we now have a total of six motorcycle jackets, not counting those that we just haven't parted with for whatever reason.

    How do I cure this sickness??
    It is time for two new BMWs.

    You will immediately stop worrying about jackets.

    Easy

  4. #4
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,055
    How do I cure this sickness??
    It is time for two new BMWs.
    I was thinking more like four new BMWs ... one for each jacket?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

  5. #5
    Registered User froggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ballwin.MO
    Posts
    253
    Easy fix...buy me the jacket and save yourself the room.If you insist buy me two
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

    02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

  6. #6
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Hanging in the garage, we now have a total of six motorcycle jackets, not counting those that we just haven't parted with for whatever reason.

    How do I cure this sickness??
    Beginners. I'm up to 26, but I might have missed a few.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  7. #7
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by DRUDOLPH148006 View Post
    When buying something that's over a hundred dollars, you should ask yourself
    "Do I really need this or do I just want it? "
    and that changes things how?

    We often get asked if we are an apparrel store with at least 8 helmets that both of us can wear...and at least 7 jackets apiece at any given time...you gotta coordinate with the bike you are riding at the moment
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  8. #8
    Getting lost...
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    452
    Stay away from the dealer?

    Sounds like many of us who are in search of that elusive perfect fitting, all weather, four season, good looking, great protection, go anywhere, do everything, favorite outfit.

    Sorry, there is no cure. The search continues...

  9. #9
    Registered User easy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    and that changes things how?

    We often get asked if we are an apparrel store with at least 8 helmets that both of us can wear...and at least 7 jackets apiece at any given time...you gotta coordinate with the bike you are riding at the moment
    That's good!

    You got to love the effort, to sell you something you don't know you want and don't know you need.

    Do people who live near the north pole put ice in their drinks?

    Easy

  10. #10
    Cage Rattler wezul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Posts
    3,577
    I've a few jackets over the years . . . .
    Aerostich Darien with Kanetsu heated jacket. Initial purchase, think I've worn the Darien twice.
    Revit Airflow (matching pants). Worn only in hottest weather.
    And my favorite, a Tourmaster Pivot 2 (Tourmaster pants with rain AND cold liner, not sure if they are Pivots) which is so versatile with it's removable liner that it's the jacket I wear almost always. If it gets cold I yank it's liner and wear the Kanetsu inside.
    When I started I took advice from others as to what gear I want but for anyone it's only time and experience that will guide you to what works best . . . for you.
    Beyond that and with all due respect to Steve (and I mean that) and tommcgee (26?!) it's all vanity.

  11. #11
    Novice Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Landenberg, PA
    Posts
    2,690
    After reading a few of these posts, I no longer feel bad!

  12. #12
    Registered User RINTY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    4,323
    Tracy:

    These are avocation driven purchases, so it's no different than having a collection of, say, watches. I happen to collect ski and outdoor technical clothing and gear. I just like the stuff; it's a hobby.

    Oh yeah, and we have cameras...
    Rinty

    "When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

  13. #13
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Beyond that and with all due respect to Steve (and I mean that) and tommcgee (26?!) it's all vanity.
    Those are only the bike jackets.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  14. #14
    Bryan
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bryan, Texas
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    I was thinking more like four new BMWs ... one for each jacket?
    I didn't realize that we had four bmw's to go with our four jackets, now I understand

    scotchale

  15. #15
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by scotchale View Post
    I didn't realize that we had four bmw's to go with our four jackets, now I understand

    scotchale
    ...and don't forget the color coordinated helmet collection. Without counting, I have somewhere around 8.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •