Thread: Nate Kern @ VIR Sept.25-26, 2010

Nate Kern @ VIR Sept.25-26, 2010

Here is the last chance to see Nate race for this year. He has ACL and MCL surgery coming up very soon, so these races will be the end of his racing season. I'm glad he is coming to VIR to finish this tough year. He always has his garage open for BMW riders and Morton's BMW will have a tent and refreshments available for us. I doubt that Nate will be able to race the go-karts right now, but I am sure that a bunch of folks will rent the track for and hour or so and have lots of racing fun.
    Onward, through the fog!

Does anyone know if they will race in the rain as the current forecast is 50% chance on Sunday.

My ride is about 5 hrs and was thinking of riding up Saturday morning and returning on Sunday after the racing is over. Don't want to ride that far if it could be canceled on Sunday if it rains.
    Ken Martin
    2011 R1200RT
    Kingsport, TN

I rolled in about 1100 on Saturday morning. As I rode around the infield, I couldn't find Nate,his garage, or any other BMW folk. When I found the RR trailer that Nate had hauled around the country for the last year. I parked there and took off my helmet and Stich, then people started coming up to me, asking: "Did you hear about Nate?" Seemed that Nate just had a bad get-off in the front straightaway, in front of the garages+shops. It was during the first practice lap of the day, about 15 minutes before I got there. He was unresponsive after his Arai whacked the pavement, and they hauled him off to the Danville hospital. All the team members and BMW folks with him headed to the hospital as well. I decided to hang around the track and try to find out something. Since I was now the only guy walking around with a N8! t-shirt, everybody @ the track was asking about his condition
    Finally, some of the crew headed back to the garage and I found out the real news.
    He got crossed up with the track markers on the Hog Pen corner and down he went. He had another concussion but it looked like no broken bones. They said that he might get released that night. Well, about 2 o'clock, a bald racer with a bad headache came into the garage. All sorts of folks came by the garage to check on Nate and to talk about how he has helped them out. He wanted to get on the spare bike, but the VIR folks were not going to let him race this weekend. While he wouldn't win all the classes that he was planning on because he couldn't race, his points count in some classes was so high (and some of the closer competition didn't show), so he did end up #1 without even riding the bike this weekend!
    We had a raucous dinner for 15 that night at the old mansion.
    He is scheduled to have MCL and ACL surgery on Monday, 9/27, and will be stuck in a hip-to-ankle cast for some weeks. I guess he will have some time to let his head clear a bit and heal up. He is planning on being at Morton's Octoberfest next weekend,so I don''t know how much he is going to "rest up"!

It was a wild weekend at VIR, but I think things turned out better that we were afraid of. Since N8! was not going to be racing on Sunday, I skipped that day at the track since rain was guaranteed (and it started around 2:00 this afternoon)
    I did get a promise that he WILL be at the National @ Bloomsburg in July
    Hopefully, he will be doing some more track days in the Spring.

Send your good wishes, prayers,thoughts and emails to our favorite racer while he heals up from his injuries!
    Last edited by RevWillie; 09-28-2010 at 10:03 PM.
    Onward, through the fog!

thanks for the report willie!

sounds like he pushed a little too hard a little too early?

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

[QUOTE=Visian;619051

sounds like he pushed a little too hard a little too early?

[/QUOTE]
    Ian,
    It was the first lap of practice, but he was running on DOT tires, and they just don't hold as well as racing slicks on that track with the RR. I believe Nate thinks the tires didn't hold,
    Onward, through the fog!

Yankee Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by RevWillie View Post
    He is scheduled to have MCL and ACL surgery on Monday, 9/27, and will be stuck in a hip-to-ankle cast for some weeks.
    I had lunch with him today in Atlanta.. was just getting routine maintenance on my RT and didnt know where to go to lunch -- he was in the shop and invited me to go get BBQ with him and a friend; I had only met him once before in KC at Engle motors when I was stationed up that way, but he was super nice and chill... anyways he's on crutches with tape on his knee, but no giant cast for weeks as described.

I think he will be back on a bike sooner than later.... (he drove us 5.0 'stang no problem!)

Quote Originally Posted by B1Pilot View Post
    he's on crutches with tape on his knee, but no giant cast for weeks as described.

I think he will be back on a bike sooner than later.... (he drove us 5.0 'stang no problem!)
    That's great news! He was the one describing the big cast to me, and he was NOT looking forward to it I hope his recovery is quick and complete.

I learned about catching a ride from N8! At the Johnson City National, he gave me a ride to the Ambassador dinner. I had never seen a X3 do what he did on the TN back roads!
    Onward, through the fog!