Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley-Davidson's aging biker problem

I recently read" the age curve," written in 2008. It explains much of this. Similar thing happened in late 70's early 80's. Interesting reading if you market stuff.
    2013 Triumph Trophy
    2007 R1200RT Broken driveshaft @ 54,000 miles. Come on BMW!
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000 Great Bike!
    Iron Butt #24605

Nickname: Droid
    That video was interesting, not because the young man was buying a bike on his own, or that he was buying a Hog for that matter, or that he in no way fits the HD demographic. I found it interesting that he saved his money to buy something he wanted, was rational about the purchase (bought used), and now is sharing his passion with other adults, many friends and family.

I'd bet that's all going to have a very positive effect on this young man's life. Too bad more kids and young adults aren't more like this young man. HD or BMW, the brand doesn't matter for something like this.

Seems like a nice kid. I like that he can play the accoridion. That's a feat in itself. If his family is set on riding Harley's, good on them. I see no fault in their choices.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Touting motorcycling for commuting as a more economical alternative is pure foolishness. I've got over twenty thousand dollars invested in my RT so I can get fifty miles per gallon instead of the thirty I get in my SAAB turbo coupe. No sale! I ride because I enjoy it. Riding is relaxing and fun as is tinkering with farkles now and then. I'm seventy-one years old. I've been riding since I was fifteen. All the younger folks are driving rice burners with fart cans and think they're cool. There is no impetus to get them to ride a motorcycle.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    Touting motorcycling for commuting as a more economical alternative is pure foolishness. I've got over twenty thousand dollars invested in my RT so I can get fifty miles per gallon instead of the thirty I get in my SAAB turbo coupe. No sale! I ride because I enjoy it.
    Somebody that gets it.

And, in fact, you can commute in a VW TDI (diesel) that gets 50 mpg, too, and you can carry passengers and get groceries and diesel is cheaper than premium.

One person on a bike at 50 mpg is same as two people in a car at 25 mpg. Motorcycle fuel economy is a myth.

Motorcycling's a hobby. A good one.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Somebody that gets it.

And, in fact, you can commute in a VW TDI (diesel) that gets 50 mpg, too, and you can carry passengers and get groceries and diesel is cheaper than premium.

One person on a bike at 50 mpg is same as two people in a car at 25 mpg. Motorcycle fuel economy is a myth.
    Unless you're ridin' one of these. Nice little 2 fiddy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Somebody that gets it.

Motorcycling's a hobby. A good one.
    If you commute alone on a bike instead of a mid-size car, you will save gas but you will not save money. The additional cost of maintenance of the bike and the difference in the cost and durability of the tires alone will more than eat up the savings in gas. It will cost you more money in the long run even if you already have a bike for your enjoyment. If you buy a bike specifically for commuting, you will spend a lot more once you consider the cost of the bike, insurance, maintenance and depreciation.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    Touting motorcycling for commuting as a more economical alternative is pure foolishness. I've got over twenty thousand dollars invested in my RT so I can get fifty miles per gallon instead of the thirty I get in my SAAB turbo coupe.
    i've got $1500 in a KLR 250 that gets 90mpg and is a great little run around town bike. all you do is change the oil and fluids. tires cost about $60/set. liability insurance only.

i work outta my house, so no commute, but my son rides it to work when he's broke.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

1+1=___?

The answer depends on which number base you are counting in.

The math for motorcycle commuting depends on the basis you calulate the advantage and add the fun fuctor to. EveryoneÔÇÖs answer varies with the variables such as
    -bike used for commuting
    -do you do your own maintenance
    -or do you use a shop(even then BMW dealer v independent makes a difference)

I have commuted by motorcycle for years. Some times the numbers have been strong in favor, some years a wash and others the balance has been swung by the fun factor of my bike v my cage.

The underlying point we are avoiding is younger drivers are not becoming riders of any kind more and more. So fewer young commuters, touring riders, sport riders, adventure riders, weekend warriors etc are replacing those who leave motorcycling for one reason or another. This has been going on world wide and not just in the US, and began before economics could be looked at as the primary cause.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Dale Rudolph

Question used bike sales

Yes, new motorcycle sales are down, but in this economy, there are some great deals out there from people who are desparate to sell. Anyone know how used
    bike sales are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by DRUDOLPH148006 View Post
    Yes, new motorcycle sales are down, but in this economy, there are some great deals out there from people who are desparate to sell. Anyone know how used
    bike sales are doing?
    no, but motorcycle parts and service sales are saving the industry. people are fixing up their current ride because they can't afford to get a new one.

Time between listing for sale and any sale are up and the prices are down. I have not seen any firm numbers on the used market. What I have seen is while there area some great deals to be made the market is slow.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRUDOLPH148006 View Post
    bike sales are doing?
    I don't think the real deals are here yet. I suspect the prices will drop considerably when the extended unemployment benefits expire, the weather gets cold and the holidays approach. I bought my newest one almost three years ago around Christmas with a payment upcoming and bad weather. I made a really low ball offer and he took it. I think he saw 5 more months of payments and no opportunity to ride.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I just returned from Paris France where approximately 25% of the vehicles I saw were scooters or motorcycles. Parking cars is difficult (narrow streets) and congestion is great. Beemers abound, all sizes, all varieties. There is M/C specific parking and it is allowed to park a bike on the sidewalk. Why? Gas is 1.79 euros A LITER!!!! That's around 9.80 a gallon!!!! So don't think a bike can't or won't be used to commute. I've seen our future!

Quote Originally Posted by savategreg View Post
    I've seen our future!
    hopefully it's not $10/gallon!