Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Harley-Davidson's aging biker problem

At this time, the HDs made in India are intended for sale in India. They have prohibitive import tariffs and local assembly solves that.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    And then there is my 86 R80 with the self retracting side stand. It can't be lowered when I am sitting in the saddle, and a strong breeze will cause it to collapse. Fortunately, the center stand is very easy to use.
    In 22 years of owning my R80RT I've very rarely used the side stand. Even as I type this the bike is on it's center stand.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Caribbean Druid
    Interesting...Do you dismount without using the sidestand?...just curious.

So... much for our "export" theory of improving the E=konomy komrade...

Quote Originally Posted by cathdeac View Post
    So... much for our "export" theory of improving the E=konomy komrade...
    If it's the CBU v CKD issue the assembly plant seems like a work around a high tax tarrif allowing current H-D employees (with the exception of part of the assembly group) still having a shot at more work.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by R80RTJohnny View Post
    In 22 years of owning my R80RT I've very rarely used the side stand. Even as I type this the bike is on it's center stand.
    I've only had my R80RT for about a dozen years and I need the sidestand because of my short legs. Fortunately, a prior owner installed a Reynolds that is easy to use. The only problem is the moment of terror one gets when you turn left after you forget to retract it. It would have been more than a moment of terror if the fence had been about 5' closer.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
    Interesting...Do you dismount without using the sidestand?...just curious.
    Yep. No matter what I do, I can't get the side stand down until I'm off the bike. Fortunately, the center stand is so easy to deploy that a child could use it.

That contrasts with my 2005 R1200GS on which I nearly always deploy the side stand before dismounting. The GS is tall, top heavy and really acts like it wants to fall over when it's not moving.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I've only had my R80RT for about a dozen years and I need the sidestand because of my short legs. Fortunately, a prior owner installed a Reynolds that is easy to use. The only problem is the moment of terror one gets when you turn left after you forget to retract it. It would have been more than a moment of terror if the fence had been about 5' closer.
    My K100 had one of those cool side stands that retracted when the clutch was pulled in. I once had a small mob of Electra Glide owners absolutely enthralled when I showed them how it worked. If BMW had put a balance shaft on those bikes, they would have been nearly perfect.