Thread: K1300gt - oil??

K1300gt - oil??

My previous bike was an R1200RT and I was told that one should not install synthetic oil until it has fully seated the rings (ie: when it stopped using oil). That worked out well.

So, is there an official (or semi-official) recommendation for my K1300GT? I wish to switch to Amsoil, but not if it will cause me grief later.

some info below...big difference is in viscosity...do not use 20-50 as you might have in your RT ...the wet clutch is the reason for the changes. The BMW labeled oil is semi-syn I believe, so it comes with syn new from my understanding...both our wedge bikes were pre-owned so I used syn from the get go

see Jacks post #16. I have used AMSOIL...but they do not make a 5W-40...just a 0W-40 currently....

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36299
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by hankhoward View Post
    My previous bike was an R1200RT and I was told that one should not install synthetic oil until it has fully seated the rings (ie: when it stopped using oil). That worked out well.

So, is there an official (or semi-official) recommendation for my K1300GT? I wish to switch to Amsoil, but not if it will cause me grief later.
    Just had the 600mi service done on my 2010 GT1300. Dealer put in all synth all the way through and said that was the current recommendation from BMW-- switch to synth right off the bat.
    YMMV, of course....

Best,

GTRider