Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuel Filter Mod

Bird Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by psikora View Post
    So I was just thinking of doing this, too, on my R11RS but those same instructions say to get a new O-ring for the pump. But when I look at the fische, I don't see the O-ring.

????

Thanks,
    phil

O-ring is for the fuel tank interior access panel. Don't attempt to use the old ring and use caution, the retaining studs are small and will twist off easily if over torqued.

Bokrijder
    M J Stone - North East, MD
    1965 R50/2
    2006 KTM 450 EXC
    2009 KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    When I went to the auto parts store, I asked for a general-purpose filter for a fuel-injected car, that fit a variety of cars. Of course the first question was "What kind of car is it for?" So I explained that ...
    Drives me crazy that the majority of people at (put your store name here _______) can't even think anymore. You take in a fan belt and they don't know how to even match it up or measure it, gotta use the computer. But it sure is refreshing when you do finally find a gem that does know their craft.
    Brian - Everett, WA
    www.pdq-signs.com
    99 R1100RT - Got Kewl-Aid? IBA - SS1K's, BBG
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Quote Originally Posted by bdiver View Post
    Drives me crazy that the majority of people at (put your store name here _______) can't even think anymore. You take in a fan belt and they don't know how to even match it up or measure it, gotta use the computer. But it sure is refreshing when you do finally find a gem that does know their craft.
    That's part of the story. The rest of the story is that those belts are not hanging on the rack in back like they used to at the Standard Oil station or the lawnmower shop. They are in packages - several of which would need to be opened to find the right one.

And the 7 people behind me at the counter are never happy when the guy disappears into the back scrounging through boxes off the top shelf.

I don't think they are dummies. But merchandising is not the same today as it was in Gradpa's day.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

AND, they have to look them up on a computer that asks the same question they passed on to you, AND then as Paul says...

My favorite auto store (Peerless) is not one of the common chains... the main two guys there actually know how to turn a wrench.
    I also went there to get a section of flexible radiator hose - to replace the rotted section of pipe below the kitchen sink, between the garbage disposer and the drain! Figured it would be cool to isolate the extreme vibration from the rest of the system. Worked great. (Dayco # M36 by the way)
    They also provided replacement electrical connector innards, intended for an RV, when I rebuilt a harness section on a neighbor's Yamaha XV-920; apparently the connector between the alternator output & the regulator input is a known burn-it-up point.
    Kudos to them for having intelligent people instead of drones or high-school drop-outs.

Lame as it sounds, I'm still having a hard time finding the correct O-ring to be replaced, even with the clue of access panel. It would be mucho apreciado if someone could post the part number for me here.
    Thanks,
    phil

Quote Originally Posted by psikora View Post
    Lame as it sounds, I'm still having a hard time finding the correct O-ring to be replaced, even with the clue of access panel. It would be mucho apreciado if someone could post the part number for me here.
    Thanks,
    phil

The bible: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Yes, I've been on the fiche pages.
    Could it be the O-ring on the petrol gauge page #16141341008 for $8.02 or the O-ring on the filler cap page #07119900019 for $3.14? I'm not finding access panel as a description anywhere on the fiche.

Yes on # 16141341008 for $8.02. This is a very large O ring that seals the access panel on the side of the tank. The access panel contains the fuel filter, fuel gauge, and fuel pump and pump filter.

As others have noted elsewhere do not over tighten the mounting screws. Use a torque wrench.

mark