Thread: Fuel Filter Mod

Hybrid View

Fuel Filter Mod

I'm doing the fuel filter modification as shown on the ibmwr site. The problem I'm having is that the filter is to big and interferes with putting the side cover back on on my 1996 R1100rt. Has anyone else had this problem? I used the double hose clamps and mounted it under the TB air intake as in the one picture but it sticks out and hits my side cover.

Because of the potential interference issues, and replacing the filter would still require removal of the sidepanel (not a big deal but still tedious), my fuel filter now sits on top of the air filter lid. Two small pop rivets hold a C-shaped spring clamp forward of the sensor there; the filter just snaps in and out.

Correction, aft of the sensor...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well done.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

I'm not sure that will clear my seat as I have it at the lowest setting. I'll try that Thanks, Jerry

I didn't know there was that much room under there. It looks like that will work, Thanks Jerry

Fuel Injection Clamps

Would not have thought to put it there, also. But I think I would change the hose clamps to fuel injection clamps.

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Here's how I approached it.

I had some concern about the filter vibrating against the frame, so I jacketed it with a strip of old inner tube. The zip tie just holds the jacket in place. The fuel line is stiff enough that it keeps the filter in position. I've been running it this way since last spring - a few thousand miles.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

My filter is for a fuel-injected car, and has the wider formed (swaged?) nipples on each end - so the ordinary hose clamps work fine. Zero issues for over four years now.

screw clamp

Quote Originally Posted by rs36vh View Post
    Would not have thought to put it there, also. But I think I would change the hose clamps to fuel injection clamps.
    I'd say four years is the test of time.

Filter Part Number

My filter is a WIX # 33032. SKU # is 7 65809 33032 0. Another silk-screened number directly on the filter is 072806K2. It came with F/I clamps in the box.

From the verbiage on the box: "WIX, the #1 filter in NASCAR... the #1 filter for your car, truck, or SUV." Forgive the blasphemy...
    When I went to the auto parts store, I asked for a general-purpose filter for a fuel-injected car, that fit a variety of cars. Of course the first question was "What kind of car is it for?" So I explained that this was not for a car, but an application where I was revising another system and needed a high-capacity injection-rated filter that was in use in many vehicles and would be easy to replace in the future. He brought out a couple and I picked this one.
    From the WIX application site, this filter is applicable to Everything from a Morris Minor and a Honda Civic all the way up thru a Dodge 440 pickup truck and police cruiser, so I have no doubt that it will suffice for an 1130 cc engine, and be easy to find a replacement for. I'll probably never need to change it, unless it gets contaminated with something other than gas.
    I don't know the part number for the clip; the filter has an outside diameter of about 1 & 13/16 inches. The duct tape prevents metal to metal scraping and increases the friction; don't know if this is necessary but it seemed like a good idea.
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 09-18-2010 at 06:41 PM.