Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: long way round

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    Even with all the resources at their disposal, the journey was a real accomplishment in my book and I found both films, especially the first one, very entertaining. I've actually watched both of them more than once. Hey, the winters are long and cold up here!
    I remember there was quite a bit of substance in the Long Way Down series that didn't make it into the movie ...for those long winter nights.

Every time someone comments that they enjoyed the Long Way Round DVD/Book (I did), there are invariably a few sourpusses who have to comment on the fact it wasn't real because they had a support team, they are rich, they were sponsored, they really wanted KTMs but settled for BMW, etc.

Who cares? I don't think anyone (and certainly not Charlie and Ewan on the DVD) claimed that they are the baddest motorcycle adventurers out there. The support team (which is there mostly for the documentary BTW) was part of the plan, not some hidden benefit for the riders.

I (and my non-motorcycling wife) enjoyed it immensely (OK, except for the OC chopper part :-) ), and it introduced us to parts of the world we hadn't really seen much of yet. We enjoyed it for it was: two guys who have the money, clout and drive to realize their dream adventure and generally have a great time doing it.

BTW, Ewan later returned and adopted one of the kids in Mongolia (I believe one of the ones that lived 'under the city'. Good man in my book.

Having said all that, the unsung hero of the trip (and something that McGregor and Boorman also stated) to me is Claudio, the cameraman. He did the same ride - and filmed it too!

Robert E. Fulton Jr. ????????

Robert E. Fulton Jr., an adventurer who circumnavigated the globe by motorcycle in 1932, invented a flying car in 1945, and spent the rest of his life turning his observations from land and air into photographic and sculptural art ?

The book, "The Long Journey Home: The 1932 Motorcycle Voyage of Robert E. Fulton Jr."

.......snip......from his obit

After graduating from Harvard and earning a master's degree in architecture from the Bauhaus school at the University of Vienna, young Fulton decided to return home to New York by going east instead of sailing west. He couldn't photograph much architecture, he and his father agreed, through a ship's porthole.

Given a Douglas two-cylinder motorcycle, he added an auxiliary four-gallon gas tank, a hidden compartment for his .32-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver, a sidecar and extra luggage racks to hold his books, sleeping bag, pots and pans, extra walking shoes, tuxedo, sketchy maps from the Royal Automotive Club in London, a Leica camera and a hand-wound 35-millimeter Bell & Howell movie camera.

Fulton set off from London in May 1932 on an 18-month odyssey that would take him 40,000 miles through some 32 countries, crossing Europe, the Balkans, Greece and Turkey, Syria, Iraq and Iran, India, Afghanistan, Pakistan, French Indochina, Java, China and Japan, and the United States from San Francisco to New York.

Learning fast, he dumped the books in Paris, gave away the sleeping bag, pots and pans and shoes in Italy, and ditched the sidecar and tuxedo in the Balkans. The only use he found for his pistol was as a hammer when making repairs.

The motorcyclist ran out of gas once, had six flat tires, was hospitalized for jaundice in Baghdad and knocked himself out in Turkey when his bike plunged 12 feet into a culvert during the night.

................and he lived to see age 95.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Where is Claudio ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    The unsung hero of the trip (and something that McGregor and Boorman also stated) to me is Claudio, the cameraman. He did the same ride - and filmed it too!
    Reverse, check out Caudio's recent work with these inspirational young men . There is a huge video section and some good reading.........bikeless but raw adventure in an electric car.

If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    Having said all that, the unsung hero of the trip (and something that McGregor and Boorman also stated) to me is Claudio, the cameraman. He did the same ride - and filmed it too!
    Yes. I want Claudio to follow me around and shoot me too.

Noel

Robert E. Fulton.
    The book and the DVD
    http://www.aerostich.com/one-man-car...save-5-00.html

so my real question is how deep can the water be for our Beemer's to ride through? It also made me feel better at how many times the bikes fell over, especially at the start when Charley was losing it and needed help before it went down.

Quote Originally Posted by rms000 View Post
    so my real question is how deep can the water be for our Beemer's to ride through? It also made me feel better at how many times the bikes fell over, especially at the start when Charley was losing it and needed help before it went down.
    You've got to keep the water out of the air intake. On my GS the "bow wave" from even a shallow crossing puts the water at the intake if going at any but the slowest of speeds.

My rule of thumb is to keep the water below the cylinder heads if at all possible. If I knew in advance that I had to go deeper I'd rig up some kind of snorkel.

I bought both movies in DVD format, and loved both of them. Ewan and Charlie were great in both movies. Even Ewan's wife got in on the fun during their second trip. I would sure like to see them do another trip... how about from Alaska to the southern tip of South America?

the gap!

Darien's Gap.. no road existes between Panama and Columbia.. just boat and planes and drug dealers, bandidos, and freedom fighters..

risky stuff.. "Amigo, I like your bike! (now get off and....)

I though of doing it.. but put that away...

Jim
    I like good stuff. No Chains here!
    1960 R50 -"Hanz"
    1977 R75/7 -"Gertie"
    2004 R1100s -"RFAR1"

tburt1969
    Over on the ADV Riders forum, apparently one of the posters went by the LWR headquarters and it appears as though they are getting ready for another trip. Long Way Up maybe in the works.

AFletcher

Stole the title already...

...and while it all sounded good, a run of bad luck made the dream ride completion have to come int he future...okay so it was only Hamilton to Inuvik/Prudhoe Bay but I was unsupported and solo!
    Attached Images Attached Images

In Long Way Round, the three bikes spent most of their time traveling without the support vehicles. They met up mostly for the boarder crossings. I don't remember the traveling arrangements for Long Way Down. I think the boys deserve more credit than some want to give. I'll add another thumbs-up for the work Claudio did.

Another book well worth reading is Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon. I think it was in Long Way Down Ewan and company met Ted and credited him with inspiring them to take the first trip. Ted spent Four years going around the world on a Triumph Tiger 100. (Can I mention Triumph on this forum? )

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Yes they held up well except for breaking in half............... Amazing that they carried such large loads when they had a support team available. Compare their loads to Helge Pedersen's little ole R80G/S. Still I enjoyed both DVDs Ewan and Charlie made.
    fixed.

(and i think helge's load correlated pretty closely with ewan & charlie's....)

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    fixed.

(and i think helge's load correlated pretty closely with ewan & charlie's....)

ian
    Point is that Helge had no support team waiting normally less than 24 hours away, and his load looks lighter to me than the Long Way guys. But hey, if I had the resources that they had available to them I probably would have had a support helicopter with a wet bar.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost