Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breakdown - What to do?

Where does this road go?? Gottago's Avatar

Breakdown - What to do?

I'm getting ready to do my first solo LD (for me) ride. I was wondering if any of you ladies have broken down during a solo ride and if you had the expertise to fix the problem. What are the basics one should know before venturing out by themselves or is AAA the answer.
    "If they are running you out of town
    get in front of the crowd and make it
    look like a parade!"

It's something I think about all the time, mostly because I ride along on most long distant rides.

Having regular scheduled service from my dealer is a must for me.

Tire plugs and a mini compressor are always in my tool kit. (practice on an old tire at home before leaving.)

Having a small container of prescribed oil in one of my side cases.

Spare low beam headlight.

Duct Tape

Asst. wrenches, screw driver, torx bits and a multi tool.

Cell phone & Spot satellite device

And last but most certainly not least, The Anonymous Book

A lot of riders carry a lot more in tools, but I only carry what I now how to use. Yes, AAA is a good idea. I've been extremely fortunate over the past 4 years of long distance solo riding. Never a breakdown. (knock wood)
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Having a few problems on the road while riding solo, I find the Anonymous Book to be a life saver. Such caring people! Always turns the worst into the best! And I treasure the friends I've made along the way!

AND, keep in mind, the forum is also a great place to get advice and help. Turn to us if you need a friend.

And LOVE your solo riding. There's nothing like it!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Thumbs up J-b kwik

Hello,

The only items I would add to the list is J-B KWIK, and a really
    and I mean
    REALLY good flashlight - I do not leave home
    without these !

Regards,

Lynn

(anxiously awaiting the arrival of The Anonymous Book)

from a guy's point of view... it also depends on how dirty you're willing to get, and how much of your Haynes manual you've memorized.

For local rides, I also carry a few business cards for "m/c pick-'em-up" tow services (and I've passed these along to wrecks or stranded folk); these can often be had at any bike shop you stop into along the way. The MoTow card from the AMA is added to this collection; be advised that BMW is discontinuing the Cross-Country Roadside Assistance service. I also used to have Bros Club, sponsored by EasyRiders magazine, but I don't know if they still exist.

Here's my "formal saved" list of what I'd like to pack in the kit for a road trip; whether it's actually there or not depends on the ride and available space.

L = left saddlebag; R = right saddlebag; T = trunk; US = under seat (R1150RT); GB = glove box

Standard toolkit + any special specific wrenches US
    Sockets (specific), ratchet, extension US
    BIG tire irons, tube(s); and/or patch kit, valve stem w/core, inflation method US
    Fuses, tail & brake light bulbs, wire, jumpers, tie-wraps, JB Quick US & GB
    Oil (in zip-lock), funnels (paper disposable); filter & special wrench optional L
    Cables ÔÇô clutch, throttle, brake US (w/alt belt)
    Flashlights (2 MiniMag) ÔÇô same AA batteries as camera ÔÇô one in glove box, one in toiletries
    & Spare batteries GB (and R) - also have one clipped in tent, even when Packed
    Spare bungees (AFTER all packing), assorted T
    Duct tape, black tape GB and/or US
    Rope (ski 15ÔÇÖ melt ends) US (I've been on both ends, on various bikes)
    Fuel line - dont carry but should
    Harley riders only: Cell phone; hammer N/A
    BMW Riders: Anonymous Book GB
    Compass, Road Atlas (recent Full size). leather; T
    Spare face shield for helmet - donÔÇÖt typically carry
    Canteen or bottled beverage (vitamin water 0 cals electrolytes) L
    Kickstand foot for dirt GB (need easy access)
    Security cable and lock - donÔÇÖt typically carry, itÔÇÖs a BMW ÔÇô used to in R
    Pepper spray (keep handy in outer right jacket pocket)
    Survival knife or equivalent T
    HandiWipes (w/ alcohol, good for first aid too) GB
    Disposable gloves for dirty work/repairs US
    Lighter for campfires, cigars, etc.

+1 on the Anonymous book.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I usually carry enough tools on the road to just about dismantle a bike to the frame, and it's usually in order to help somebody else. I also have (almost) enough knowledge and expertise to help. I also don't know everything and admit it. The idea here is, what do you know and what do you have to do the job available? With the newer bikes, a cell phone, credit card and the Anonymous book can get you out of just about any problem. Tools weigh a lot and take up a lot of space, and hopefully you won't need any of them, but you took them anyway. All sorts of options, your choice.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Maniac - Agreed! I carry them like a voodoo charm, in honor of Murphy's Law. If I have them, I won't need them (fingers crossed; but nothing helps like regular maintenance & detailed inspections). And, sometimes what you carry can be improvised for another duty. I definitely do not carry the full list for local riding (< 500 miles).

Addition: If you have a chain drive, carry two master links, two half links, and a tool to R&R the pieces. I've stopped for a few folks on the shoulder due to that, but couldn't help them.

Curmudgeon in training
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    I usually carry enough tools on the road to just about dismantle a bike to the frame, and it's usually in order to help somebody else. I also have (almost) enough knowledge and expertise to help. I also don't know everything and admit it.
    With the newer bikes, a cell phone, credit card and the Anonymous book can get you out of just about any problem.
    I also try to carry enough tools to fix most problems. The one reason I don't like the credit card approach is I'd rather not be stuck on the side of a lonely road in the middle of nowhere, in 105F heat, waiting 4 or more hours for a tow, for a simple breakdown, where if I had the tools, I could have fixed it in an hour and been on my way.

Ya never "ride alone"....but you can ride "solo"... WE all need help from time to time

I have given the information to my wife about how to look things up / post on the net should it be necessary to "bring the rain". I suppose you could do the same.. just arrange your "preflight" with a fellow rider.. and if you need help, you can get it...

Enjoy the fun!

So, there you have it. Opinions from the women and the men of the MOA . See what fits for you. And good luck on your solo ride. All you need to have is the belief that you can do it, the proper maintenance and preparation for a successful ride. It's like walking, one foot in front of the next.
    Let us know of your travels in a ride report. I'll be looking for it.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

Rally Rat
    I think Karen would agree with me, after all the preparation and packing, our thoughts are "when do we leave?" There's not much thought about "can we do it?"

Enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by sudani View Post
    i think karen would agree with me, after all the preparation and packing, our thoughts are "when do we leave?" there's not much thought about "can we do it?"

enjoy the ride.
    +11111
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Up here we have a dealer that puts on tech days during the winter months (yes, I see you're from California). Older K's, newer K's, oilheads sometimes Airheads, and even a Ladies Day. A little knowledge can be a good thing, or it can be dangerous. It all depends on your point of viewI have no problem sharing what (miniscule) knowledge I have with fellow interested riders, no matter their gender. See if you can find a like-minded individual in your area, if for no other reason than to put your mind at ease.

For me, it usually takes the first hundred or so miles of the trip to calm down and realise the bike is doing fine, so I should stop worying. If something happens, deal with it then. Otherwise, enjoy the ride!
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Consider a Platinum Membership.
    Better than AAA.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "