Thread: Garmin Zumo Newbie Questions????

Hybrid View

Garmin Zumo Newbie Questions????

The senario:I just bought a used Garmin Zumo550 on Ebay. It is shown to be turned on in the pics and has 2011 Maps loaded. One screen shown indicates Software version 4.80 & another CN North America NT 2010.20. It comes to me with a WS mounting,original cradle,GTM 20 Traffic Reciever/Charger cable & a USB cable. There is no MC mtg included. It can be sent back for a full refund in 3 days from receipt. This seller has a number of Garmin units/accessories for sale on ebay. They sent me a "Square Trade" warranty "opportunity" in an email after I just made payment, offering protection for touch screen failure and/or chipset malfunction, regularly priced at $48,20% off @ $38 now. I'll say too, that I am not someone that usually buys add on warranties. I paid $345 total,shipping included to place a perspective on the siuation. I looked online and it appears that I can download the Owners Manual to a disk.
    Questions: Which MC mtg is best liked for use on R1150R?
    What am I missing that I need?
    Would you buy the warranty?
    Will the WS mtg work OK for a Toyota Tundra(as in too far away to view?
    Will the WS mtg work OK in our BMW 328 sedan?
    What items work best to hardwire the unit to my bike ?
    Is the cig cord the best arrangement to use in the car/PU?
    What questions didn't I ask that I should? The newbie part refers to me never having owned a GPS before!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Sounds like you're in good shape with what you received. What is WS mounting?

If you received a car mount, which you should have, the car mount will stick on to your windshield and the Zumo goes in and out of the mount real easily. Plug the 12V plug into the car's outlet and you're good to go. The mike and speaker is in the cradle itself. The Zumo also has Bluetooth for hands free phone.

I believe California prohibits GPS mounts on the windshield so it has to go on the dash using a weighted bean bag type mount. Places like GPS City.com will have every kind of accessory for the Zumo.

There are numerous ways to mount your Zumo on your bike though the ideal way is to mount it centered and as high as possible to avoid having to look down away from the road. Many riders have them mounted on one side of the handle bars, but this way it's always moving and can be hard to reach with your left hand.

You might try Cycle Gadgets or Touritech for some mounting brackets. you should power the bike cradle to have power switched on and off with your ignition. The Zumo will power up when you start your bike and also power off in about 30 seconds after shutting your bike. It's designed that way to allow you to continue running on the Zumo's battery after shutting the bike. The Zumo battery will only give you 3 to 4 hours on it's charged battery.

As for warranty, I've had zero problems with mine after almost 4 years so from my perspective I think you can do without it.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    The senario:I just bought a used Garmin Zumo550 on Ebay. It is shown to be turned on in the pics and has 2011 Maps loaded. One screen shown indicates Software version 4.80 & another CN North America NT 2010.20. It comes to me with a WS mounting,original cradle,GTM 20 Traffic Reciever/Charger cable & a USB cable. There is no MC mtg included. It can be sent back for a full refund in 3 days from receipt. This seller has a number of Garmin units/accessories for sale on ebay. They sent me a "Square Trade" warranty "opportunity" in an email after I just made payment, offering protection for touch screen failure and/or chipset malfunction, regularly priced at $48,20% off @ $38 now. I'll say too, that I am not someone that usually buys add on warranties. I paid $345 total,shipping included to place a perspective on the siuation. I looked online and it appears that I can download the Owners Manual to a disk.
    Questions: Which MC mtg is best liked for use on R1150R?
    What am I missing that I need?
    Would you buy the warranty?
    Will the WS mtg work OK for a Toyota Tundra(as in too far away to view?
    Will the WS mtg work OK in our BMW 328 sedan?
    What items work best to hardwire the unit to my bike ?
    Is the cig cord the best arrangement to use in the car/PU?
    What questions didn't I ask that I should? The newbie part refers to me never having owned a GPS before!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    At last - well done Mike! I think you have a deal, if it works properly.
    Yes, you can dowload the user manual.
    You can buy accessories, mounts etc direct from Garmin, and their (American) support is really good. Also, they will refurbish the unit (whatever went wrong) for a fixed price of about $135 (I think). But they are tough units and seldom fail - just learn the routine for a cold reboot, if the unit seizes up.
    The Zumo comes with two different cradles (mounts) - one for the bike and the other for a car. The car mount power plugs into the lighter, I have my bike mount wired in.
    Visit zumoforums.com for in depth dicussion of these units.
    You will need to get your head around 'Mapsource' the desktop utility, used for planning routes, and up- and downloading data.
    Just ask!
    Mark

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain

Thanks! WS refers to" windshield" mtg and my question revolves around the distance from the driver/front passengers eyes in a pickup or a car when using the stock WS mtg.. Also I would like to hear if a certain aftermarket cradle is better or the same as oem for less $? I'll check out the sources mentioned.

what came with it should work fine. I use mine on three different bikes and in my Pickup. no problem seeing the screen. keep in mind it also talks to you...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

I have been reading websites a bit and have a question as to best way to setup the hardwire situation so as to make the most stuff removable? I can do the wiring OK, it is the issue of a weatherproof connection that allows for the GPS & the mtg coming off that I am undecided. On the www.GPSCity.com website they mention using a trailer wiring connection in conjunction with the hard wire cable-how are others doing this ?Do these units come with two cradles new? Mine is coming to me with only one.
    I see two styles of handlebar clamp available-one clamp & double clamp-is there an advantage to the double clamp? Either will likely fit between the handlebar riser/clamps on my R1150R.
    Can I choose" Karen", she of the sweet Aussie accent, to speak to me with a Zumo? I've heard her on a son's Nuvi. I wear a Shuberth flip-up and now am wondering what speakers will adapt to my helmet?

I put the zumo in various rental cars and vans over the past years....never an issue with being able to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Can I choose" Karen", she of the sweet Aussie accent, to speak to me with a Zumo? I've heard her on a son's Nuvi. I wear a Shuberth flip-up and now am wondering what speakers will adapt to my helmet?
    With the Zumo, I believe you can load different voices.

Regarding the Schuberth, Schuberth has a new fully integrated Bluetooth radio that will work with the Garmin (connect GPS, phone and audio source) and the intercom is made by and compatible with Cardo. On sale in the US shortly (they said September)
    J?rgen
    Red Rocks
    04 R1150GS adv
    04 K1200RS last of the great bricks