Thread: P3 lights

P3 lights

I just installed a set of P3 LED auxiliary brake lights on my '07 R1200RT. WOW are they bright. They will definitely catch the attention of someone behind me. Well worth the money in my humble opinion. Plus an easy install.

http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/

Doug
    Last edited by dbaliko; 08-30-2010 at 02:20 AM.

It would be nice for a fill in as to what bike you put the on, any install trouble, depending on the bike the wiring tie in point and any other helpful suggestions for someone who wants to try adding the lights. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Gary,
    I edited my post a bit. Thanks. There are very clear instructions on the web sight with images. It took me about 30 minutes to install on my RT.

Doug

P3s are awesome and definitely well worth the money! I've had mine for about a month now and am really impressed.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Check the Photon Blasters as well.

I bought both the P3's and front of bike photon blasters at the Redmund rally. Had to wait a bit for the latter as he didn't have the right bolt at the rally. Had them both installed a week ago as I am not a DIY. Took about 1.5 hours for a pro but everything is neat and secure.

My take on the P3's is that they about double the visible size of the tail light on my K100. The best feature though is the pulsing brake light. In default position (there are a number of options) you get two very quick flashes then two more flashes before a steady on when you hit either brake. Good in lots of situations to call attention to yourself and great when you are stuck at a light with no car behind you. Just pull and release your front brake as a car approaches in your mirror.

There is certainly competition in the flashing LED brake light department. Not sure if this is the cheapest or best, but it seemingly works with all bikes because it is mounted on the license plate, not a replacement for your OEM taillight/brake light.

The photon blaster is another device intended to call the attention of inatentive motorists, much like low-wattage "marker lights," and like them, of no use in lighting up the road at night. The flicker of orange lights in a really weird position SHOULD get peoples attention.

Frankly, I've had very few other motorists do bad things because they didn't "see me" in some 14 years of riding. I guess my white bike and white helmet usually get their attention. So I see these lights as just additional insurance. I still have to pay attention, but maybe they will save me some day when I screw up.

I believe having a pulsing headlight (legal everywhere, I believe) is absolutely your best protection from oncoming vehicles. And I personally find them as offensive as loud pipes. So I won't buy one.

We all make our choices and who said they have to be rational.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS