Thread: Nuvi Power cord

Hybrid View

Podzo

Nuvi Power cord

Just got my second power cord for my 255w Nuvi and it still doesn't work the GPS correctly. My friend and I went riding yesterday. He has the same set up only uses the cigarette lighter power hook-up and we switched. Mine worked on his power set up but his wouldn't work on mine. I am convinced it is the power cord hook up I got from Cycle Gadgets. I will call them tomorrow. Has anyone had similar problems? Looked back in my records "Hardwire Mini USB Power Supply CG-USB-HW" in the exact name and sku.

gpodzo
    Last edited by podsobinski; 08-29-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by podsobinski View Post
    Just got my second power cord for my 255w Nuvi and it still doesn't work the GPS correctly. My friend and I went riding yesterday. He has the same set up only uses the cigarette lighter power hook-up and we switched. Mine worked on his power set up but his wouldn't work on mine. I am convinced it is the power cord hook up I got from Cycle Gadgets. I will call them tomorrow. Has anyone had similar problems? Looked back in my records "Hardwire Mini USB Power Supply CG-USB-HW" in the exact name and sku.

gpodzo
    It's not the Garmin power cord.

I'm on my 3rd adaptor that plugs into the BMW recepticle and then converts to a cigarette lighter receiver.

Best of luck!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Motorcycleton
    I was using a Gilsson power cord to my Nuvi 550. A USB power connector goes to the GPS and I'd connected a BMW plug to use the bike's power. The USB end developed an intermittant short. I called Gilsson and sent the bad unit back. I expect someday to receive a replacement cord.

I have extra power cords. As they weren't too expensive I purchased several.

http://www.gilsson.com/garmin_gps/cables/GHS-B.htm

You want to make sure that they are 3 wire power cords, and not the most common 2 wire. With the 2 wire you will only be able to charge your uvi, then run it on batteries.

IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Podzo

Problem solved kind of

Talking with guys at Cycle Gadgets, they said no problems have been experienced with their power cords for the Nuvi. After 2 failed to work correctly I went with the BMW male plug to cigarret lighter and plugged in the car power cord. No problem now. I still think they have a bad design on their power cord but they will not admit it.

gpodzo

Have you considered hard wiring it instead of using the cigarette lighter plug?
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Podzo

Roger on that

You bet, when I first hooked it up to my Fuse Block I thought it might be the Fuse Block even though I had a AutoCom, Satellite Radio and MixIt hooked up with no problem. Then hooked it up to my battery and still the same problem with Cycle Gadgets power supply hook up. Then I put the GPS on my friends and it worked great on his 1150GS with the cigarette adapter on his bike. So after talking to Cycle Gadgets I went with their adapter to the BMW plug under my seat and the GPS works great. Go figure. Now I just hope I get my $$$ back for that hook up that didn't work for the second time.

Garmin sells hardwire kits. I bought one for my nuvi 550 and it works great. Check garmin.com.
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

Nuvi's don't like the vibration. Mine works fine on the battery but keeps trying to power down when hooked to the cig lighter. Believe its in the usb connection.