Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Colors in the Catskills 3

Well we made it here, really no problems at all. The waterfalls on the way from the parkway are beyond spectacular that's worth the trip just to see them. Colors seem to be ahead of schedule from what I remember of last year. The sky's have cleared should be a great weekend, make sure you bring your camera!

i'll be leaving around 8:30 - 9am Sat morning. for the second straight year i will be taking my car. the water pump on my bike went and i have not gotten around to fixing it yet. 2 out of the 3 years the bike stayed home and i had to take the car, whats gonna happen next year, i trailer the bike the 2 hrs north to Hunter Mtn. oh the shame and humility of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by dpryan View Post
    The Hunter website is advising that on-site camping has been cancelled due to the storms. I believe the alternate campground they're suggesting is about 10 mi. away.
    There are 3 Campgrounds in Saugerties which is about 25 minutes to Hunter if you take 23a up.

http://www.bluemountaincampground.com/

http://www.ripvanwinklecampgrounds.com/

http://www.koa.com/where/ny/32168/

Of course you can take this road up which is a seasonal paved road.

View Larger Map
    Saugerties, NY

Final accounting/Color in the Catskills

Phone message from Hunter Mountain Resorts-Camping cancelled. $30.00 rebate.OK book a room for Saturday nite $175.Taking the novice rider course,riding to the top of Hunter Mountain and having dinner with my two great friends Rob,Pete and all------------------PRICELESS!

I really tried to attend this year. Left Boca Raton, FL. last Saturday and only got as far as the Cheroholla skyway. We rode most of the way in the rain and even had to layover in Madison, Ga. for a day because of the downpour.
    When I realized I would be following the storm North, my wife and I decided to enjoy the Georgia Mountains as a consolation prize.
    Next year for sure..
    Gary

07 K1200GT
    IBA 23450

gnmiller,

You really didn't miss much. Besides the mountain canceling camping for no good reason since Saturday and Sunday was perfect there wasn't as many vendors as last year. Also no bands Saturday night at the lodge and they closed the bar early. I had a great time Fri and Saturday last year and of part of it was due to the socializing in the evening and making new friends. The other part of course was the wonderful riding.

Rob

My pictures can be seen here. Thanks Friedle for making the best of what you had to work with. You still can't beat free camping and great riding. I'm sure you got a lot of complaints, but i think it was great. I hope this event is a go for next year. Take a look at the pics and you'll see why the initial reaction was to cancel the camping. Imagine running the rally and you wake up Friday morning to your camping and vendor area looking like this. Nice job Mike for keeping this together.

Brian

http://74.53.234.2/~riptide/mariner/...ead.php?t=1751

Quote Originally Posted by briana View Post
    My pictures can be seen here. Thanks Friedle for making the best of what you had to work with. You still can't beat free camping and great riding. I'm sure you got a lot of complaints, but i think it was great. I hope this event is a go for next year. Take a look at the pics and you'll see why the initial reaction was to cancel the camping. Imagine running the rally and you wake up Friday morning to your camping and vendor area looking like this. Nice job Mike for keeping this together.

Brian

Great riding yes and I stopped by the MOA table and got the skinny about what happened. Where was this free camping? I saw tents near the parking lot but I was told there was no camping this year so I sprung for a room in the Kaatskill Club. Luckily the little lady was due for a nice weekend getaway so I was able to justify it.

Saturday and Sunday were absolutely gorgeous. Sure Friday turned out to be an adventure, but it was exactly that. There was plenty of riding, camping, bonfires, drinking and new friends to be had.

Free camping was pretty much anywhere you could find it. People had tents all around the building at the left edge of the parking lot. We also had a bonfire behind that building on Friday and Saturday nights.
    Karl

2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75C - sold

Quote Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
    Saturday and Sunday were absolutely gorgeous. Sure Friday turned out to be an adventure, but it was exactly that. There was plenty of riding, camping, bonfires, drinking and new friends to be had.
    Apparently there was a secret campsite somewhere lol.

Quote Originally Posted by briana View Post

Brian

hey... you all had a built-in GS course!

Exclamation Catskill and Hunter mountain

Well, it is a destination, riding up from Scranton the roads were great and the goodfellowship same with other members of the BlackDiamond Beemers.

Gee, unfortuantly the event attendence by vendors were sparse, the beer and the Brats were high in price and not very good. But, it has been the same everyyear. Really a blahhhh event, more suited to Harleys than real riders.

When you stop to think about it, all of the trinkets for sale, maple sluple stuff, ski boots and non bike stuff, makes this a great promo event for Hunter Mountain by Hunter Mountain and really has nothing to do with Beemers. Thanks to Max BMW and the other vendors, at least there was some redeeming features to the trip.

Next year, I think we would have been better going to Rinebeck to the Aerodrome. Any how, that my opinion and your welcome to it.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Colors 3

Quote Originally Posted by mrtnfischer View Post
    Well, it is a destination, riding up from Scranton the roads were great and the goodfellowship same with other members of the BlackDiamond Beemers.

Gee, unfortuantly the event attendence by vendors were sparse, the beer and the Brats were high in price and not very good. But, it has been the same everyyear. Really a blahhhh event, more suited to Harleys than real riders.

When you stop to think about it, all of the trinkets for sale, maple sluple stuff, ski boots and non bike stuff, makes this a great promo event for Hunter Mountain by Hunter Mountain and really has nothing to do with Beemers. Thanks to Max BMW and the other vendors, at least there was some redeeming features to the trip.

Next year, I think we would have been better going to Rinebeck to the Aerodrome. Any how, that my opinion and your welcome to it.
    I'll agree with you that it is a great destination and I am glad you were able to enjoy the fellowship of your fellow club members.

Unfortunately, the same weather that had such an effect on the venue also had an effect on a number of the vendors getting to the event. Those vendors who did manage to make it there included some major players such as MAX BMW, Roadgear, Alt Riders, Adventurers Workshop, Road Hauler, HiViz Products, InstaMold, BMW MOA and of course the BMW Motorrad Demo Truck in addition to a number of other smaller vendors and supporters. According to the vendor feedback I received, they were happy with their results, especially given the situation and challenges of the weekend.

The "trinket vendors" were part of the Oktoberfest event and they did well with the Oktoberfest attendees. You're right in saying they really had nothing to do with Beemers, but they did add another element to the experience. I know at least a couple of riders who were gift shopping with the Oktoberfest vendors.

Colors in the Catskills has nothing to do with the beer and food vendors selection or pricing, other than arranging for a Mexican food vendor, Mole Mole, to be there with $2 overstuffed tacos and $7 full quesadilla dinners.

I am sorry if you missed out on the rides that were laid out for the "real riders", both off road and on road, or just those roads you might have explored by yourself with a GPS or a Jimapco map......if they were still open in the aftermath of the storm and flooding. Perhaps you were a real enough rider to attempt to ride the GS course Mother Nature constructed for us on Thursday evening right through our intended camping and vendor area.

I had a good time there, sorry if you didn't. Planning is already taking place for Colors in the Catskills 4.

Friedle

PS Just a heads up, the same people that organized the Colors in the Catskills also organize the Airheads at the Aerodrome, so you might not be happy there either.
    Ride fast safely

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Colors 3

Thanks to all who did manage to attend Colors in the Catskills 3. Thanks for bearing with us as the situation changed minute by minute on Friday and into Saturday morning.

There was no "play book" for this type of weather, planning disruption and destruction of roads and property, but with the enormous cooperation of our hosts, Hunter Mountain, we managed to pull it off for what turned out to be a spectacular Saturday and Sunday.

After it was evident that the original camping area was unusable, the decision was made to cancel camping for the weekend. Pre registered campers were notified to the extent possible and their fees were electronically refunded immediately. Those who arrived on site were directed to the local NY State campground which was believed to be open. They had also sustained some damage and no longer had any open spaces. Campers returned to Hunter with the news and a decision was made to not just send these people home in the rain, but to let them set up their tents in designated areas, at no charge. Hunter also opened the original vendor building for those campers who were cold or wet, or who just wanted to sleep inside. A number of people availed themselves of the opportunity by spreading out their pads and sleeping bags, in some cases even erecting their tents inside the building.

The vendors were relocated on Saturday morning to a blacktopped area where they were able to erect their displays which were held down by sandbags provided by Hunter, and were able to open for business as the first riders were starting to arrive Saturday morning. Yes, not all the expected vendors were able to make it to the event due to the storm, but those that were able to set up were well received by the attendees. Hunter Mountain is to be commended for all the assistance they offered to the Colors in the Catskills event, even as their personnel were extremely busy dealing with the damages to their own physical facilities.

A very big "Thank You" to Max and Ben Stratton of MAX BMW for all their support and faith in this event by providing for the BMW Demo Truck to be offering rides both Saturday and Sunday and for presenting the off road riding schools under some very challenging conditions. Where else are you going to go to get free off road riding tutoring of this caliber, regardless of what brand off road bike you showed up on? TEAM MAX was nothing less that full WOT all weekend!

The concept of a FREE all brand, off road and road riding event featuring high quality vendors and seminars celebrating the approaching end of the riding season here in the Northeast is still a winner. We will be doing it again next year and it will be bigger and better than this year's event.

We hope to see you and all your friends again the first weekend of October, 2011.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Planning is already taking place for Colors in the Catskills 4.
    i'll be there again as this is a great event, it's close to home, and there is something of interest for the whole family.

the same people that organized the Colors in the Catskills also organize the Airheads at the Aerodrome
    the one time i attended the Airhead event i had a good time, even though i had to leave early and could not enjoy the big dinner.

Michael, if you need any help in organizing either event drop me a line, i'll be more then happy to help out.