Thread: Bike Cover

Bryan

Bike Cover

This topic concerns Bike Covers, primarily for Sun Protection in our scenario.

I searched for past threads, but the topic wasn't coming up. I may also be using the wrong term?

Anyway, wondering what ideas and brands of bike covers that are out there? Is the Tyvek type material used on some? My wife and I have recently relocated to a place that does not give us the option to keep our bikes under a covered area. Although wet weather protection would be nice, main concern is keeping the sun off the bikes while not riding, and in particular, this light coating of a slightly sticky substance coming from the trees overhead.

Something washable in a front loader, possible grommet holes to lock or tie-down the cover. Main bikes are an 04 RT with cases and larger windshield, and a 2010 F 650 Twin.

Thanks for any input..
    Scotchale

I have a size large from JC Whitney $19.95. I had it about six years and it works great inside or out. I've heard that Wal-Mart carries the same cover.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

check out the nelson-rigg covers
    '08 R1200RT
    '86 Yamaha XT350 (still thumpin')
    '85 K100 (gone)
    '70.5 R75/5 (first 100k, long gone)

If your wallet is thick, BMW actually has one that is made specifically for use with the 11/1150RT's.

Motorcycle Covers

I have two Dowco covers that have worked well for me. Got them from Motorcycle Superstore.

i have the BMW specific cover for my RT and a Nelson Rigg mini for my F800GS
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016

I am on my second Dowco in 10 years - thye are guaranteed forever OR they send you a new one-they are sturdy and although made in China, how can you go wrong? I have a 99 cent ebay cover for dust in storage indoors-nylon with heat fabric and rolls very small-straight from Hong Kong.

Rally Rat
    E-Z Touring. Great cover, various sizes and colors. Not a bargain priced item. Have used them for at least 15 years. Two years ago I had a problem with a 5 year old cover. Got a new one free at the Johnson City Rally. Owner and her daughter are great folks.

Just bought a Nelson-Rigg UV2000 half-cover from New Enough. In XL, it nicely fits my RT with top-case and side-cases. Sewn-in elastic loops match up perfectly with the passenger pegs and the other loops can be easily bungeed.

The half cover comes down just below the fairing by the oil cooler and goes straight back above the cylinder heads to about mid side-case. The top-case is completely covered and cover ends by the tail light.

If a half-cover will do, at less than $34, this cover is worth considering.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chipwalter View Post
    check out the nelson-rigg covers
    +1 !
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Bryan

Thanks for the Info on Covers

Thanks for the info on covers so far. Brand names I kind of wanted to hear, didn't really have any brands that I was aware of by name. At least I found some generic cover I had back in the 80's that will fit on my wife's F 650 twin for now, but still need something for the RT soon.

There was some good info in a recent ON issue about overall protection of the bike while parked and especially when on the road, but I left that issue at a relative's house

Scotchale

E-Z Touring

Quote Originally Posted by tombarnhart View Post
    e-z touring. Great cover, various sizes and colors. Not a bargain priced item. Have used them for at least 15 years. Two years ago i had a problem with a 5 year old cover. Got a new one free at the johnson city rally. Owner and her daughter are great folks.
    +1
    Tom Baker
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    1970 Triumph Bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by THEO View Post
    Just bought a Nelson-Rigg UV2000 half-cover from New Enough. In XL, it nicely fits my RT with top-case and side-cases. Sewn-in elastic loops match up perfectly with the passenger pegs and the other loops can be easily bungeed.

The half cover comes down just below the fairing by the oil cooler and goes straight back above the cylinder heads to about mid side-case. The top-case is completely covered and cover ends by the tail light.

If a half-cover will do, at less than $34, this cover is worth considering.
    I have this same 1/2 cover as my travel cover for my R12RT and like it a lot. I have a generic breathable full-size dust cover for indoor winter storage.
    '08 R1200RT
    '86 Yamaha XT350 (still thumpin')
    '85 K100 (gone)
    '70.5 R75/5 (first 100k, long gone)