Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Women, 2 bikes, 17 States, 5 Provinces, 23 riding days, 11870 KM

July 24th 2010 - LONG ISLAND DAY

This day started pretty well. Nice HOT breakfast again and no rain. It was all ready 27 degrees Celsius at 0830. Headed from upstate NY towards our goal my parentÔÇÖs house in Stony Brook NY as the final leg of the first part of our tour. Cheryl found us some really cool off beat roads and towns between NY and Pennsylvania. The temperature was tolerable because we were riding mountainous roads with shade. Had to stop quite often even still to rehydrate. This humidity will suck the water right out of you if you are not careful. Little did we know what we were in store for when we reached the George Washington Bridge.

Nice to see upstate NY using wind turbines throughout the State. I went to University in a small town in Upstate NY, called Hobart & William Smith College on Seneca Lake in Geneva. The finger lakes in NY are like the very mini Great Lakes of the mid west. Absolutely beautiful around that area and it was great to be back even if it was brief.

Riding down to NYC was enjoyable and scenic...

However, The temperature by the time we got to the bridge area was at times as high as 40.5 Celsius and 100% humidity. Sunny skies and no shade. We saw there was a delay at the bridge and pulled off to an Exxon gas station to try and wait the traffic out.

We tried to cool off in what shade we could find. AS we got closer to NYC to heat just got hotter. My parents were trying to call us to say don't come to Long Island because this day, July 24th 2010 was supposed to be the worst day of the week with humidity and high temperatures. But we carried on!
    We have been riding almost 7 hours by now!

This was the temperature in the Exxon gas Station outside the bridge in the "shade".

Rumour has it there was a Yankee game and that is why the traffic was so heavy!

Way more than a 20 min delay!

After about 45 minutes we thought the traffic was flowing better only to find out it would take us another 45 minutes in the beating down HOT sun in stop and go traffic to get to the toll booth. BTW, NY charges motorcycles the same rate as cars. Cheryl and I were forced to drive like a New Yorker to keep all these cars from cutting in front of us to get to the toll. $16 dollars later we were through. We are both dying at this point from the heat and exhaustion. Playing mind games we stayed focused. On the way to the Throggs Neck bridge to Long Island, I saw that there was another toll.

I initially thought I only had $9 left in US cash. Started to freak out a bit on the side of a very busy highway, Cheryl is tired, my head set mic was not working all day and is still broken and I could not voice my frustration to Cheryl via the intercom. I found more cash and we headed to the next bridge again to see there was stop and go traffic. Made it through and the toll guy discounted our rate because he was a nice guy. $5 for both of us vs. $11. Almost seeing double by now from the heat etc....we headed to Long Island and eventually after a 10 ?¢ hr day stopping and going, taking water and pee breaks....we made to my parents driveway about 1930 finally.

What we will remember about this day the three HÔÇÖs. Hazy hot & humid, mental endurance is just as important as physical and relying on your riding partner is a must. Absolutely the most trying day in all aspects but glad we did it, glad we made it and nice to be with family. Taking a break until Wednesday, July 28th.

Talking July 25th 2010 - My home and a break

Sunday and Monday were days to be with family and do maintenance on the bikes. We made it to Long Island in 8 and 1/2 days and also we needed a break.

Cheryl and I watched a video that a great guy from the F800 forum I belong to made for us on changing brake pads. As always, Cheryl is a quick study and before you know it both bikes had new Galfer rear pads installed. Had brake pads shipped to my parentÔÇÖs house from a neat company Happy Trails ahead of us. The Galfer pads were a lot cheaper to buy online than to find in Canada and bring them along the way. Gave the bikes a wash and let them relax.

Cheryl's pads at 17200 KM

My pads at 16700 KM

Thumbs up

Family all came over for a great New York Pizza dinner and good conversation. My sisters and their kids, My Aunt Catherine and Uncle Ritchie also came by. Nice to see everyone and they all insisted we ship our bikes back and fly home so we could stay longer on Long Island.

We politely decline the invite as we both are looking back to getting on the road.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....now this is pizza! Miss this on the west coast!

Lightbulb July 26th 2010

[B]Monday we were found a motorcycle shop/parts store and service center located in Smithtown, NY. About 10 mins from my parent’s house. We initially drove to the shop to buy oil filters and oil etc....but when the owner Dave said he would change our oil for $25 labour we said what the hell....drove back to the house and got on our bikes and headed back to ISLAND MOTORCYCLE PARTS located at 401 Middle Country Rd., Smithtown, NY 11787 ph:631-880-7966

This oil change we decided to go with a semi-synthetic blend. We were going to do this anyway at 20000 KM.

I am highlighting this shop because of their friendly attitude, ability to fit us in while we waited for the oil change, they allowed us in the back of the shop to learn and watch, very helpful tech named John who pointed out my chain was too tight and adjusted it. Although all this maintenance stuff may seem easy to do it was great to watch a pro do it right so we can start maintaining our bikes like this to save money and time. We went to semi synthetic oil and a K&N oil filter model 164.

Again the shop is BMW friendly and more than accommodating for travelers. We were a walk in and no issues getting us set up and serviced.

Talking July 27th 2010

While in NY we just had to go to the local Costco and buy beer. In BC this is not possible because of the liquor laws and although I lived in NY my whole life except the past 12 years, I find this fascinating to see aisles of beer for so cheap!

As we wind down this short home town visit, we are sad to leave but looking forward to heading Cape Cod, Massachusetts. We need to send a big thanks to my parents for being great hosts!

This is where I grew up and our favorite breakfast spot to go to when in NY, Maureen's in Smithtown. The restaurant has a cow fetish and this is also my parents home away from home and the reason they do not understand why we subject ourselves to the elements on a motorcycle.

My partner refers to where I grew up in Stony Brook, Long Island as a "Snow Globe Village" and I tend to agree with her. Located about an hour and a half from NY on the north shore of Long Island. Here is a pic of the local post office and on every hour the Bald Eagle flaps it's wings!

THIS IS WHERE WE MAILED 16 POUNDS OF CLOTHING AND OTHER STUFF BACK HOME. WE OVER PACKED AND HAVE LEARNED A LESSON FOR NEXT TRIP!

My family is shy and did not want a lot of pics posted of them for fear of becoming too famous!
    Last edited by soph9; 01-28-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks for posting, Leslie. Very enjoyable. I can't imagine going through that heat.

Now, about Browning, Montana. This topic comes up here, from time to time.

Browning is in the middle of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, and I have passed through it and stopped there many times. While I don't think it's dangerous to drive or ride through it, my practise is not to fuel up there, as I find the locals don't like seeing fancy German flashbikes at their pumps. I have been told by the locals that you have to be careful which bars you go into, but this is probably a non issue for most riders.

In any event, there is no reason to stop there, as there is lots of accomodation and fuel in the vicinity.

I once had a rear tire delaminate just north of Browning, and we could hear it going pap pap pap pap, with the window open. On the way through town, my wife said: "aren't you going to change that tire?", and I replied: "Not in Browning...."

But Highway 89 is one of the best routes around, so eventually you'll have to transit the place.

P.S. I love the Olds!
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

July 28th 2010 - Departure day from NY

Woke up to my motherÔÇÖs famous egg sandwich after a miserable nightÔÇÖs sleep because my parents like to keep their house with a/c on at 80 degrees. Just kidding mom & dad.

Got packed up and ready to go at about 0800 and headed east on Long Island in the very humid, crappy weather ÔÇ£quote CherylÔÇØ, to Orient Point. We caught the Cross Island Ferry to New London, CT.

The loading area for the ferry.

Not our ferry but the fast passenger one to CT.

About an hour and 20 minutes. We seem to be drawing a lot of attention from folks who think we are crazy once they find out where we are from and what we are doing. However, it worked to our advantage when an elderly ferry crew member thought our bikes were cool and let us off first.

Crossing the Long Island Sound was smooth and peaceful and so many people having a need to chat with us about what we were doing, our bikes and again how crazy we were...

Once off the ferry we headed north to our destination of Middleboro, MA on Cape Cod. Rode through small towns in Connecticut, Rhode Island and then arrived on the Cape. Weather, which we are so over the humidity and heat was HUMID, HOT, a high of 93 Fahrenheit or 31.5 Celsius and Hazy of course. Made the short ride of 286 km minus the ferry seem long.

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Thanks for posting, Leslie. Very enjoyable. I can't imagine going through that heat.

Now, about Browning, Montana. This topic comes up here, from time to time.

Browning is in the middle of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, and I have passed through it and stopped there many times. While I don't think it's dangerous to drive or ride through it, my practise is not to fuel up there, as I find the locals don't like seeing fancy German flashbikes at their pumps. I have been told by the locals that you have to be careful which bars you go into, but this is probably a non issue for most riders.

In any event, there is no reason to stop there, as there is lots of accomodation and fuel in the vicinity.

I once had a rear tire delaminate just north of Browning, and we could hear it going pap pap pap pap, with the window open. On the way through town, my wife said: "aren't you going to change that tire?", and I replied: "Not in Browning..."
    interesting...we heard worse stories but then again speculation....safe to say Browning is just not going to be on our GPS as a destination

July 28th 2010 con't

Once we set up our tent we headed off on my bike, to Plymouth, MA to see Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower II. The Thermarest Pads we bought are so handy and worth every dime. They make even the most unforgiving surface tolerable....

we got this whole tenting thing down to a science and it is a piece of cake to set up now.

Cheryl in her LDComfort Underwear! LOVE THIS STUFF.....works great and never really begins to smell!

Yep it is a rock all right and really small.

Before we saw the rock a really nice couple let us park behind their car so we would not have to pay for parking. They were bikers in their day. Had a bite to eat at this little take out joint called Pebbles, took pics and headed back to camp.

Got back to camp, I SKYPED with my parents for a little while as Cheryl wondered about and moved our bikes under some trees. Also, Cheryl made sure all of our gear would be safe and dry. Good chance of a thunderstorm passing through tonight. Oh yeah we got to test out our new Cardo G4 intercom set. Different than our Scala Q2 but work really well with the MP3 and once we got used to how to chat, need to wait when activated they were pretty clear. Love the stereo speakers.

Tomorrow we were off to Maine to see how far north we can get. Going to stop in for coffee with some old friends from my neighbourhood when growing up.

Thumbs up July 29th 2010

I know it sounds as though all we are doing is complaining about the weather but we have to be honest about the east coast humidity. Last night we slept in what we believe to be 90% humidity and 80 degrees. We both slept not a whole lot and had a long day ride. In any case it was fun to be back in a tent and out of the road. We left camp really early around 0630 to head towards Boston. We got to Boston right at rush hour and Cheryl did not feel like stopping. Needless to say bad timing on our part but we did get to see the skyline etc.

Around this time we were starving and decided to eat at a Diner’s, Drive In’s and Dives. These restaurants are featured on the Food Network show and we downloaded many on to our GPS. Found a great little diner called The Little Depot Diner in Peabody, MA. Web site: www.thelittledepotdine.com .

There we met the owner Judy Miles and her sister Terri and a man named Bill. Had a great breakfast, great conversations and in the end Bill bought us breakfast. Now that was what this is all about. Meeting interesting folks who are interested in what we are doing and generosity. Highly recommend this place and hope others will check them out. Thank you Judy, Terri and Bill.

After the diner we again headed north to Cape Porpoise Maine to visit an old neighbour I haven't seen in 19 years. Brief stay but it's about quality not quantity.

Back on the bikes in 90 degree + weather and humidity of course to try and get to Bar Harbour Maine but no go. We ran out of time and steam. Ended up in Boothbay and it is so quaint. Had lobster rolls at the Lobster Dock right on the water. Awesome and we got our lobster.

YUMMY! warm with butter!

Rode around the town on my bike and checked out the scene, bought beer, had ice cream and headed back to camp. The humidity is gone and it feels like we are going to even have to snuggle tonight as it is cooling down nicely. Beautiful camp ground, Shore Hills Campground.

View from our site!

Nice sunset and so cool out!

without humidity makes for a great day of riding!

Hung out by the fire, drinking a beer or two and planning our route back west. We were thinking Bar Harbour is a must. 2 hours from here and then after that we will start our journey heading west.

Video from Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park

July 30th 2010

Woke up to day 14 bright an early on the 30th after a good night sleep...finally! The weather is so much more tolerable and very pleasant. Packed up the tent and the gear as usual, Cheryl is so organized ...thank GOD! We are masters at unpacking, setting up and breaking down now. That is what this trip is also about, getting to know what works and what doesnÔÇÖt. We headed out for another Food Network restaurant for breakfast at the A1 Diner, 3 Bridge Street Gardiner, ME 04345 (207) 582-4804. Another small dive but great food!

Cheryl's little mascot!

Great Hash!

Started to head north to Bar Harbour with our bellies full. Finding good food has not been too hard on this trip. As we were riding along on this beautiful morning I made a comment to Cheryl that she has been doing such a great job being creative with the GPS and about 5 minutes later...a ÔÇ£dead endÔÇØ sign appeared.

Not far out of Boothbay our GPS took us off road. We first thought it was going to be a short cut but then realized after we started down this ÔÇ£roadÔÇØ it would soon be a mistake. It was a really rough terrain ATV of some sort road. Turned out to be a really uneven, boulder ridden muddy single track road. My bike was smacking up against rocks and bottoming out. Needless to say I stopped and after an hour of Cheryl and me trying to turn our bikes around we got out and headed back to pavement. Cheryl said I wanted more off road. Well, she gave it to us. Unedited video!

July 30th 2010 con't

After getting back on the right track we rode and saw some beautiful scenery on the way to Bar Harbour.

Cheryl kept asking where the ocean was because we were not seeing it from the road. Another great weather wise day and we got to Bar Harbour early enough to go up Cadillac Mountain, drive the loop, walk around downtown Bar Harbour and have dinner.

Cadillac Mountain View

Many BEERS on this trip!

Very quaint town but both Cheryl and I are feeling a bit partial to our own west coast especially for fun riding. In any case, this has been an opportunity of a life time and to see the Atlantic shore New England style has been an awesome experience.

July 30th 2010 con't

Got back to camp and roasted marshmallows and took a walk around the campground. Everyone has their dogs with them. That makes me miss ours but to tell you the truth, they are in such good hands with our house sitters, Taylor and Dave it is bearable. All tucked in around 2200 hrs and off to sleep we went.

Bar Harbor sunset