Thread: 1st Track Day 1000RR- Thank You BMWMOA

1st Track Day 1000RR- Thank You BMWMOA

My father won the Keith Code Superbike School prize package provided by the BMWMOA when he attended this years World Superbike races in Salt Lake City. I was fortunate enough to receive the package as a gift from my Dad for my 40th birthday. I certainly want to thank the BMWMOA, California Superbike School, my family, along with those of you on the board who helped get me ready for my first track day experience. My entire experience could not have been better!

I chose VIR for my track day! My brother went along with me to observe, which also helped me relax. We arrived at 6:50am for registration.

Aren't they pretty:

http://Photobucket

My new lucky number 19:

Photobucket

It was time to suit up and the blood started pumping:

Photobucket

Mounting up for my first track experience:

Photobucket

Keith Code was a lot of fun to visit with. His attention to detail impressed me and the staff could not have been more helpful:

Photobucket

My first session with instructor in tow:

Photobucket

After your track session it is time for your evaluation. This was so helpful as the instructors reveiwed your lines, body position, places giving you a hard time on the track. You knew exactly what to work on when you headed back out for your next session:

Photobucket

You can see how much more relaxed I was on the bike as we moved into the afternoon (trust the bike and relax):

Photobucket

http://Photobucket

In the afternoon we switched from rain mode to sport mode setting on the bike. I felt much more comfortable heading up through the gears and downshifting going into the corners with the higher rpm setting. This bike is amazing!!!!!

Photobucket

I picked up the pace considerably and even dragged a knee in turn one. The knowledge I gained about cornering will help me be a much safer rider on the street. The day flew by and I certainly would do this again!

Photobucket

What a B-DAy GIFT! Thank you again DAD!
    2008 BMW R1200GS
    "Avoidance of danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

trust the bike and relax

Beyond cool.
    Thanks Dad!!!!

The words that got my attention in post title. So very true.
    I have a few seasons under my belt now and I am just starting to "get it".

What a awesome opportunity for you. Not only a track day with one on one instructor but on that bike.

WOWZERS!!

CRAIGER527
    Glad you had a great time! I went in June at Barber Motorsports and it was the most awesome day of my life! Going to Road Atlanta tomorrow for a track day...can't wait!

I went to Barber also in June. If you liked VIR, you'll just go nuts at Barber. The track is very wide, very nice pavement, and it is a great track for spectators. VIR is horrible for spectators. I just saw the AMA races there. Well, "saw" isn't the right word. "Heard" is more accurate.

So when are you buying a track bike?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

I went to Road Atlanta today to catch up with a few friends that were riding. They had showers this morning, but the track was dry and fast this afternoon. I wanted to ride so bad when I showed up to watch today. With Indi GP on my planner, I could not push my luck.

There are a few track days at Barber in September, which might be my next event. I have visited Barber on a few occasions and would love to ride that track.

One good thing about living in N. Georgia, a lot of good tracks and twists close to home.
    2008 BMW R1200GS
    "Avoidance of danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

advrider.com
    That would be awesome.. but who pays for the bike if you dump it?

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    That would be awesome.. but who pays for the bike if you dump it?
    I can answer that 100% since my buddy low sided on his and sent it flipping. The mechanics there know these bikes. They had it stripped down and were ordering a new frame that day.

He lost his $1250 deposit. He wore their leathers (added some road rash to them), gloves, etc. He decided to wear his own Arai. So he lost the 1250 and his helmet. Expensive day on the track, but heck, if I flipped my CBR600RR it would cost me that much, too.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    And at that, probably a lot less than it would have cost him to fix his own equipment in a similar situation....

We had our RCB track day this past weekend. I was amazed at the sound and speed at which the S1000RRs left me in the dust with my throttle wide open on the K13S on the straight. Those guys were on rails in the corners, too.

Congrats to CyclePath, glad you had a great day!
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/