Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: night riding

Question night riding

opinion on night riding on long trips highway or byways

Watch out for critters.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 08-21-2010 at 01:50 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by ashley12 View Post
    opinion on night riding on long trips highway or byways
    It's real nice to have extra lighting on your bike. The new lighting is effective and a lot more compact-LED. If you are in the heat of the day 90+, the night drop to 70 doesn't sound like much but it can be. Have a light coat or flannel shirt. Be careful and watch for the glowing eyes.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

advrider.com
    Avoid it.

It comes down to odds: if you do it enough, something ugly will happen.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

professor
    In one of my motorcycle books - I think it is "Ride Hard, Ride Smart" - there is a chapter on riding at night. Allow me to quote the entire chapter:

"Don't ride at night."

There are tricks like using other vehicle's headlights, etc. but no matter how careful you are, your odds of a crash go up exponentially after dark. Animals, tires, ladders, mattresses, stalled cars... often cannot be seen at a far enough distance for evasive action.

One of the most knowledgeable and respected safety instructors on the planet - Larry Grodsky(sp?) was killed when he hit a deer (or a deer hit him) when he was riding at night on his way to celebrate his mom's birthday.

Some people I know were driving in New Mexico one night. They saw something dark on the road just an instant before they felt a hard impact and their car went airborne. They had hit a bear. The bear and their car were totaled. If they had been on a motorcycle, they may not have survived.

I was driving - in my car - on I-20 in East Texas (deer country) doing about 70 one night and a couple on a Gold Wing passed me doing at least 80. I hope they made it home.

i often ride at "night"... well, oh-dark-thirty in the morning, getting an early start is how i like to tour.

you get 5-8 hours of cool temps and can really lay down some miles before the sun beats down and madding crowd is out and about. and you get to turn-in early, so that you don't have to ride at night.

of course, a sharp eye is kept out for critters, road gators and sleepy truck drivers, and a good set of lights aimed correctly is critical.

i also use some galls reflective tape on my jesse boxes, same stuff they use on emergency vehicles. It positively glows when headlights hit it, even from a long distance away. yet it's very inconspicuous during the day. (i am not a neon fan)

at some point in time you have to ride at night, you can manage the risks, however you have to realize that they're much higher in the dark.

ian

caveat: NEVER ride at night in Mexico or many other foreign countries. people drive without headlights there.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

"... snip...
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    i often ride at "nighti also use some galls reflective tape on my jesse boxes, same stuff they use on emergency vehicles.
    ian unsnip
    Ian...the deer don't care about reflective tape...

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    "... snip...

Ian...the deer don't care about reflective tape...
    that's what the PIAA 910s are for.

criminaldesign
    There's something alright about night riding that I enjoy. It has sucked at times, much less after the HID upgrade.

I've covered a lot of distance with no sun all over this land of ours.

The SW desert is wicked cool at dusk-night, riding on the moon.

If not stuck in the rain, it will be the night. Just got to go with it at times.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Up early and in early, safest bet. Watching for critters is OK in theory, but deer are known to pop out quickly, and even run into the side of a moving vehicle, good brakes will not help that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    i also use some galls reflective tape on my jesse boxes, same stuff they use on emergency vehicles. It positively glows when headlights hit it, even from a long distance away. yet it's very inconspicuous during the day. (i am not a neon fan)

and put some on the bottom of your boxes just in case that's what is currently being exposed to headlights

Smile night riding

thanks for all opinions in the end I guess it's how much more risk to take. but cooler night weather is a plus

again thanks

Beware of tunnel vision. Without the long-distance scenery to encourage you to move your eyes around, it's easy to focus too narrowly on the asphalt ahead and oncoming headlights.

Oncoming headlights contribute to eye fatigue - your pupils are wide open for the night, they close down when another vehicle approaches, and it takes 15 to 20 minutes for them to resettle back to "open" again. Constant shifting of light levels (even when riding through dense foilage) contributes to eyestrain.

Unless your body clock is already accustomed to "second shift" or "third shift" life, beware of fatigue. The mind can drift off and you may not realize it.
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 08-21-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Smile night riding

thanks again how about closing one eye when car lights coming at you