Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Let the Price Gouging Begin

THANKS for the offer !!!

How many bedrooms do they have? They wouldn't have to stay in town, so that's one more bedroom. How many baths? How many bikes can park in the yard. Do they have a garage where we can do a major rebuild?
    Live this day.

Quote Originally Posted by agmom98 View Post
    ......You young-un's go right ahead and camp at the rally grounds. .......
    I turn 49 in acouple of days. Thank you, Thank you Thank you.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

We will pull our Bunkhouse Camper with the bike and camp for FREE. I like FREE, its got a nice ring to it!!!
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by agmom98 View Post

You young-un's go right ahead and camp at the rally grounds. I'm too old and like my creature comforts too much. And I like to show up for my early morning volunteer shifts with First Aid each day well-rested and clean.
    In that case, THANK YOU for staying in a hotel and not spending the night at the beer tent.

angysdad
    I just did a 30sec Google search for 'rental house, bloomburg, pa'.
    Several 3bedroom houses for $600-700 for a week...get a couple friends and voila!
    $200 for a room for a week...can't beat that!

I'll be camping, but to each his own!
    I'll be 47 on monday...in the MOA that makes me a 'young-un'

See you all in PA!

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but . . .
    Two words and for me this is easy from past experience.
    Sherpa Mayberry.

End of story.

OK, ya'all can whup up on me now.
    Or you can slap me at Bloomsburg.
    Last edited by wezul; 10-01-2010 at 02:22 AM.

There is quite abit of gas well drilling going on in that area because of the Marsellus Shell deposits and the drilling crews are taking up quite a few rooms. We found that out last summer during a Route 6 trip across the top of Pennsylvania.

Motel / Hotel for me!

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Maybe it's just me but motels and RVs seem somewhat incongruent with a motorcycle rally. Now don't take that as a big put-down though because there certainly are needs that those two sorts of accommodation are perfect for. The camping on site is so much more enriching an experience. Don't forget Sherpa if lugging stuff is a concern. - Bob
    I think it just a matter of choice and of course for some budget. Again for ME .... I prefer a motel with a hot shower ( I do not have to walk across a field to get to) a warm bed and AC! In addition I find there is as much fun (for ME) and "experience" at most Rally's just kicking tires and having a beer in the parking lot. I have spoken to dozens of bike owners from all over the country and world, seen some very cool bikes, gotten tips on some farkles, and helped a few make repairs ... all in the hotel parking lot. Have been a BMW owner since 2000 and attended the BMW Rally in Charleston WV, Lima OH, Burlington VT, West Bend WI, and Johnson City TN and had a blast at every one. But can tell you was happy to have the AC in Lima and Burlington. In West Bend we stayed in a tiny town of Iron Ridge at the Iron Ridge Motel. What a GREAT experience. In VT we stayed at St. Michaels College (think that was the name) ... WOW that was a great time hanging outside the dorm rooms each night having a cold beer and kicking tires and telling MC stories.

So for me a motel / hotel is actually PART of the experience. That along with volunteering at the Oil Change Station. Now that was a ton of fun! Seems yet again HOW someone experienced a motorcycle rally is very individual and personal.

Last edited by GSinNC; 10-03-2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: grammar
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2002 BMW R1150GS - (sold) Replaced with '12 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2006 R1200RT- Granite Gray

Quote Originally Posted by GSinNC View Post

I think it just a matter of choice and of course for some budget. Again for ME .... I prefer a motel with a hot shower ( I do not have to walk across a field to get to) a warm bed and AC! In addition I find there is as much fun (for ME) and "experience" at most Rally's just kicking tires and having a beer in the parking lot. I have spoken to dozens of bike owners from all over the country and world, seen some very cool bikes, gotten tips on some farkles, and helped a few make repairs ... all in the hotel parking lot. Have been a BMW owner since 2000 and attended the BMW Rally in Charleston WV, Lima OH, Burlington VT, West Bend WI, and Johnson City TN and had a blast at every one. But can tell you was happy to have the AC in Lima and Burlington. In West Bend we stayed in a tiny town of Iron Ridge at the Iron Ridge Motel. What a GREAT experience. In VT we stayed at St. Michaels College (think that was the name) ... WOW that was a great time hanging outside the dorm rooms each night having a cold beer and kicking tires and telling MC stories.

So for me a motel / hotel is actually PART of the experience. That along with volunteering at the Oil Change Station. Now that was a ton of fun! Seems yet again HOW someone experienced a motorcycle rally is very individual and personal.

Well said.

Motel/Hotel At Rally

Ed,

I agree with your comments regarding the opportunities to meet with folks outside the Rally site. I have only attended the Lima, Burlington and Johnson City Rallies and have stayed in motels at each one. The parking lot, lobby and hotel restaurant are excellent meeting venues with fellow BMW riders.

If you stay in a hotel/motel, you also get the opportunity to communicate with the local populace. We had an interesting experience in Johnson City. Myself and five of my riding buddies from North Carolina were seated for dinner at a Johnson City steakhouse. All of us were wearing riding gear and four of us had various t-shirts that depicted BMW motorcycles. I was wearing the BMWMOA club shirt with the club logos on the front and sleeve and across the back, it says, "The legendary motorcycles of Germany."

One of my friends asked the waitress, if they had served many of the BMW Rally attendees. Her reply was, "No, I hear there are a lot of them, but we haven't seen any of THEM in here!" I guess she was looking for the stereotypical black leather vests, beards/pony tails and tatoos that many people usually associate with motorcyclists (not that there is anything wrong with any of those, if you are so disposed).

The waitress was shocked when my friend said to her, "Well, you are serving six of the BMW Rally attendees right here at this table." This opened up an opportunity to tell her about the joys of riding a motorcycle.

We left her a really good tip, so perhaps her impression of motorcyclists was altered.

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post

The waitress was shocked when my friend said to her, "Well, you are serving six of the BMW Rally attendees right here at this table." This opened up an opportunity to tell her about the joys of riding a motorcycle.

We left her a really good tip, so perhaps her impression of motorcyclists was altered.

Bill
    Bill- Isn't that what we are really all about in the end?

Bob

Motel Reservation - FYI

I made a 3 day reservation at the Super 8 in Miffinville, about 8 miles from rally, using my CC to gaurantee the reservation. Couple days later found the total charge for the 3 days on my credit card. I don't remember it saying anything about having to prepay nor checking something that said prepaid. When I called them, they said it was not only prepaid, but also, non refundable. Needless to say that didn't sit well with me, and I told him so. He was nice enough to cancel the prepay and refund my cc, and change it to a simple guaranteed reservation, but said it would probably be about 5% more when I paid.

He tried to tell me they had changed this policy about a year ago, but I make online reservations with Super 8 all the time and this is the first time I've run into it. My suspicion is that they have done this purposefully for the MOA rally. And maybe other motels in the area have done the same thing.

I was lucky enough to find a room at the Hampton Inn in Bloomsburg. I reserved it with my credit card and they have not charged me yet. But it is $380 for the 3 nights which I thought was higher than almost any other Hampton Inn. Well it does have two queen size beds and I will be by myself. I am open to sharing with a non-snorer!
    77 R75/7
    78 R100/7
    93 R100R
    95 MZ Tour

The Econo Lodge in Shamokin Dam, PA was $80/night. 22 miles away though
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Unless something goes awry at the last minute, an additional option of university apartments will be available for ralliers. Keep an eye on the website and the Owner's News for the announcement and further information very soon. The Bloomsburg University is not far from the fairgrounds and the accommodations are very nice.

Mark
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel