Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Let the Price Gouging Begin

Quote Originally Posted by chasman View Post
    This happens in any community that has a major event. The rates differ with every geographic location, but, they still increase. Super Bowl, World Series, Corvette Gold, BMWMOA International Rally, Sturgis, etc...limited number of rooms, properties set a price that the market will pay. Sorry, but this is just the way free markets work.
    Chuck, this has not been my experience at past MOA rallies, hence my posting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mervingry View Post
    Why are your surprised? Supply and demand! It's a law of nature!
    I am surprised because it has not been my experience at the last several MOA rallies.

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    That is the way to go.
    Rob, you know me...I'm an old lady. I need a comfortable bed, a clean, spacious bathroom with toilet paper, a nice shower, a mini-fridge to stow my goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by agmom98 View Post
    Been there and done that, Bob. Lugged my camping gear on the back of my bike from Houston to Burlington a few years back. After that experience, I'm beyond the notion that camping will enrich my experience of the rally any further, and now stay at a hotel every year. Judging from all the bikes parked at all of the hotels, I am not alone.

For me the rally experience is enriched by volunteering and really getting inside of the workings of the rally. I've met many, many more folks by doing so than I would just sitting around. To each their own.
    That is exactly why the Rally is such a success. Thanks for all you have done in the past and for what you will do next year.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by agmom98 View Post
    Been there and done that, Bob. Lugged my camping gear on the back of my bike from Houston to Burlington a few years back. After that experience, I'm beyond the notion that camping will enrich my experience of the rally any further, and now stay at a hotel every year. Judging from all the bikes parked at all of the hotels, I am not alone.

For me the rally experience is enrichened by volunteering and really getting inside of the workiings of the rally. I've met many, many more folks by doing so than I would just sitting around. To each their own.
    "to each there own" Interesting how the face of this collective motorcycle gathering experience is changing as time goes on. We (at 62 and 60) will still camp because of our way of socializing (uh...and ) ways but sometimes we do hanker for that shower, airconditioning and cozy chair. I like your enhancement of the rally experience through being involved idea. We just seem to have this thing about being close to large numbers of people, the beer tent and a dance floor . - Bob
    Last edited by tourunigo; 08-20-2010 at 10:43 PM.
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    I'm old, cheap and ride a BMW. I also camp. At Redmond I camped next to a bunch of "Black Sheep". Fantastic experience.
    I know not everyone can or wants to camp. Supply and demand is how free enterprise works.

It's not price gouging, it is economic reality.
    ha.... we did the same in 2001 at Redmond (long distance two up award; on an overpacked 1973 75/5; Mary's very first long run ..... 12,000 miles; we had just met!) Camped with this crew that flew a flag that said "Do What You Want". And they were .....

What a great time and, yes, we did dance with sheep! - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

If Bloomsburg rates are high check the hotels just south of them in the towns of Danville, Northumberland and Selinsgrove. The way to and from the rally site is on Rt 11 which is not a bad way to go.

The east side of the river has spectacular farmland, and deep state forests. It would not be an bad idea to use the Motel 6 that was recently remodeled in Miffinville. Its just off Rt 80 on the south side of the town. To get to the rally you could travel on 239 putting you on the river side of the fairgrounds or you could travel down RT 11 and enjoy the chain stores and restaurants that were stuck there not to ruin Bloomsburg proper.

Another nice stop is the Hampton Inn on Route 93 and I 81 in Hazleton. It overlooks the impressive valley and its on a former golf country club house site. Coming to the rally from there would force you to drive in this valley for about 25 miles. One of the roads would force you on RT 339 that is a top motorcycle road or you can use RT 93 to Berwick and take Rt 11 south, or Rt 93 to the I 80 then to Bloomsburg.

I am not sure what to say about the gouging except free market capitalism is the best path to prosperity. Be grateful that we are not having this rally about an hour north where hotels are booked for the next two years by the natural gas industry. This capitalism has made unhappy Elk, Deer, and small game hunters and fly fisherman.

If you wish a convenient place in the middle of nowhere and next to Ricketts Glen State Park, try Ricketts Glen Hotel Its known for its food and its destination for the motorcycle crowd on weekends. From there its a beautiful ride to Bloomsburg via Rt 118 and 487 or the historical Tioga Pike one of the first interstates in the country still running through farms and woods as it always has.

Or get a Bed & Breakfast.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

A couple of alternatives to lugging camping gear across the country....1. ship your tent/sleeping bag/pad 2. go to a discount store and buy a cheap tent/bag/pad for the rally and donate to charity at the end of the week...I know one rallyer that did this in OR and spent about $80. The weather will, most likely, not require a high quality bag to stay warm. There will be a few air conditioned building at the rally site, so an afternoon respite looking at vendor booths can help provide a little relief from heat, cold, rain, etc.
    Mark
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    ha.... we did the same in 2001 at Redmond (long distance two up award; on an overpacked 1973 75/5; Mary's very first long run ..... 12,000 miles; we had just met!) Camped with this crew that flew a flag that said "Do What You Want". And they were .....

What a great time and, yes, we did dance with sheep! - Bob
    Ah yes, dancing with sheep.

I'm guilty as well.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Ah yes, dancing with sheep.

I'm guilty as well.
    Was there a change in the bylaws allowing the Black Helicopter Squadron patch to be shown in public ?

If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Was there a change in the bylaws allowing the Black Helicopter Squadron patch to be shown in public ?

If I told you, I would have to kill you.

bang
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Some of us do the HIGH THREAD COUNT RALLIES some do not - I enjoyed my rolling rally time with YB down to Johnson City. I enjoy meeting more new people on site or at our YB breakfasts or dinners - then some parking lot on the highway. Regress do ya remember the '60 & '70's - in my case the '70's I enjoyed meeting new people out in the open then in a hotel.
    See ya on the fields of Bloomburg !
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Ute's Chauffeur
    Just made my reservations at a B and B in Danville, which is also having a special event during that time, I'm just a little excited. Will spend another rally as a volunteer at Registration on opening day. As for the camping experience, if I suggested it to my wife, I wouldn't be able to ride the bike due to where she would pack the tent. Truth be told I also like beds!
    Last edited by cruisincruzan; 09-10-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Where does this road go?? Gottago's Avatar
    We will luck out on this one. Cousins live about 4 houses down from the fairgrounds.
    "If they are running you out of town
    get in front of the crowd and make it
    look like a parade!"